Old 05-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA / Waterford, CT
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Model: 2005 GB 42 Classic
I live in WA and like the tax on out-of-state boats trailered into our waters. Protects our fish and waters. Thank you, WA State Gov't!

djleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by djleu View Post
I live in WA and like the tax on out-of-state boats trailered into our waters. Protects our fish and waters. Thank you, WA State Gov't!
So the millions collected are actually used to protect the fish and waters? Yeah right. It goes right into the King County pockets. Has NOTHING to do with fish and water.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
King County??? The Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention Permit was authorized by the Washington State Legislature. Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) has been tasked to control invasive species in Washington and the fees help fund the department’s efforts.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #44
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by djleu View Post
That works both ways.... expect Oregon to tax you when you go to there state, and the next state, and the next.

This is CLEARLY a bogus money grab and has NOTHING to do with protecting the water. We need to wake up and smell the politicians. They are NOT on our side.

And, can you imagine if all the state did this on the great loop? It would kill that activity.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So the millions collected are actually used to protect the fish and waters? Yeah right. It goes right into the King County pockets. Has NOTHING to do with fish and water.

I know it is fashionable (and fun!) for the rest of the state to blame everything on King County, but in this case it just doesn't fly. The tax isn't going to any county but to the state. Money collected through these fees are deposited into the state's aquatic invasive species management account. This account will be used, as appropriated by the legislature, to fund the activities outlined in Chapter 77.135 of the Revised Code of Washington to combat the effects of invasive waterborne species.

The projection is that by 2021, $415,000 will be collected annually through the permit fees.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
King County??? The Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Prevention Permit was authorized by the Washington State Legislature. Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) has been tasked to control invasive species in Washington and the fees help fund the department’s efforts.
The state is run by King County and their pockets are deep. Nothing gets done unless King gives their blessings.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #47
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I wasn't going to post on this issue, but oh well, here goes.
Just a different perspective. As a Canadian, due to this new fee and the complexities of the "cruising permit", I do not head to Washington waters like I used to. This fee makes sense for trailered boats (assuming the funds generated are used for the correct purpose - and that is a big assumption as ASD stated) that may transport AIS from area to area or lake to lake. However, when it comes to saltwater, you cannot convince me that my trawler operating in the Salish Sea is potentially bringing any species into Wash. waters that are not already there! The border does not apply to water creatures. They move freely on their own or the tides and currents move them, and the distances here (in the NW) are not that great. Deep sea commercial traffic may spread sea creatures, but not local boaters.
To cross over to US (Washington) waters, it now costs me about $80 Cad. (AIS and Cruising permit) plus, my Nexus is now next to useless as I have to report immediately to a Customs office to obtain (buy) a "Cruising Permit" (Federal Gov).
Just saying that all of this doesn't make me want to "head south" for a cruise to spend my money in the US.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
I wasn't going to post on this issue, but oh well, here goes.
Just a different perspective. As a Canadian, due to this new fee and the complexities of the "cruising permit", I do not head to Washington waters like I used to. This fee makes sense for trailered boats (assuming the funds generated are used for the correct purpose - and that is a big assumption as ASD stated) that may transport AIS from area to area or lake to lake. However, when it comes to saltwater, you cannot convince me that my trawler operating in the Salish Sea is potentially bringing any species into Wash. waters that are not already there! The border does not apply to water creatures. They move freely on their own or the tides and currents move them, and the distances here (in the NW) are not that great. Deep sea commercial traffic may spread sea creatures, but not local boaters.
To cross over to US (Washington) waters, it now costs me about $80 Cad. (AIS and Cruising permit) plus, my Nexus is now next to useless as I have to report immediately to a Customs office to obtain (buy) a "Cruising Permit" (Federal Gov).
Just saying that all of this doesn't make me want to "head south" for a cruise to spend my money in the US.

All good points. I donít know anything about the ďcruising permitĒ requirement but I wonder if the AIS permit can be ordered and received by mail before the trip?

I agree with you that vessels that are staying within the Salish Sea likely donít represent an invasive species hazard. Of course, Iím not a marine biologist.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Financial security in one respect for me personally, is to live under my means so additional/higher taxes are less likely to affect.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #50

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Yes an AIS can be purchased on line. https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/invasive/permits

As I read this only $20 of the $24 annual fee reaches the fund. (83.33%)
The dealer handling fee is $2 (if on line)
And it appears the state of Washington charges a $2 transaction fee
Not that this is a big deal but if you bought this online it is your paper used to print the receipt so the state does not have to mail this (no postage) and does not have to have any paper to send to the consumer. Sure there is a transaction fee to the card company (Visa, MC, AX or ??) and that is likely negotiated to a very low number because of volume.

Interesting. The State of Washington charges a transaction fee on top of the fee to the fund.

If this were a non-profit and 83% went to the benefit the cause, would you donate?
Will this deter out of state boaters, se plane operators and commercial transporters?

For me the fee would be a factor to visiting the state.
The question I would want to ask as a resident of that state or any state that has a fee, does it work? Is the money going to a service that is making a difference? Is the difference being documented?

Or will the money just be used to service the many dams in Washington State or pay for continuing water way maintenance?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #51
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Financial security in one respect for me personally, is to live under my means so additional/higher taxes are less likely to affect.
Hi Mark,
Good point (not applicable in my case), but there is also principle involved. Canada (and the province of BC) does not charge any fees of any type on US boaters coming up for a visit (as far as I know). And by the way, in most anchorages I go into here in BC the majority of the boats are US flagged.
Personally I like most Americans and some of my best boating friends are Americans!
Just saying that having to order an AIS permit prior to crossing south (especially when it is very, very unlikely that my boat is contributing to this problem), then having to obtain a cruising permit or notify CBS for every boat movement and pay additional fees, is not very "visitor friendly" in my humble opinion.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Just to further incite the angry crowd, when you buy the annual permit, it's not good for a full year. You do get 365 days, but 2020 is a leap year so if you buy it starting on 5/12/2019, it ends on 5/10/2020. Oh the horror.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #53

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
^^^ Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!!!