Another sunk ship-Portland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the first of the class of those ships. Others still around had most of their hull plating replaced. I don't think this one did. If they take long to refloat it, the hull will be full of silt.

At least there were no pollutants on it. Aparently it was used as shelter by the homeless in the area.
This area had lots of vagrants! It is getting out of control. But then again it is Oregon and Washington.

This is the USCGC Cuyahoga. Sistership to the sunk USCGC Alert.

The Cuyahoga was our docking practice ship in 1977 for USCG Officer Candidate School.

The next year she was rammed and sunk in the Chesapeake Bay.

Some sad endings for great vessels.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 192
From the news article said:
It hadn’t been used for some time. The nonprofit Columbia Watershed Environmental Advocates planned to restore it, but when the founder of the group died, the group was waived of responsibility for it, the U.S. Coast Guard told KATU.

I wonder how much money they had in the restoration fund before the founder died killing the project

From the news article said:
State and local agencies are working on a removal plan for the sunken ship, but the cost will exceed $1 million, KATU reports.

1 million to raise and scrap a wreck. What a waste of money. Could have used that to restore it BEFORE it sank. Sheesh. A stitch in time.....

The reality of these types of small ships is the cost to restore vs value is so off only dreamers will undertake something like this. At least this one is on the Oregon side so washington isn't stuck with this one!. That boat has been there for years, I imagine with the shitshow homeless problem Portland residents put up with it was teeming with them. When we kept our boat on Hayden island it was super sketchy.. and it's gotten way worse..
Still sad to see one of these old girls die like this
Hollywood

Did any of the homeless get trapped inside and go down with the ship?

That'll cost the taxpayers a pretty penny. "Free anchorage?" I think not!

Back
Top Bottom