Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Another reason Bellingham is the best jumping off point for cruising the San Juan and

Bellingham Makes USA Today’s Top 10 West Coast Beer Destination List | Tap Trail | Craft Beer News, Maps, and Events

As Homer says "Mmmmmm beer"!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bob,
It certianly is the closest. But go ahead and make your case for the best.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bellingham is a pretty nice town in which to eat and drink. I could be a very happy man just eating breakfast at "The Little Cheerful" and every other meal at Boundary Bay pub with dessert just up the street at Mallards for ice cream afterwards.

Bob, since you are in Bellingham, what is the status of the Swinomish Channel? I know that as of a number of years ago it hadn't been dredged in a long time and the charted depths were only laughable suggestions. I would really love to go North through there, stop in LaConnor etc... but my draft is about 7.5 feet.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that it had been dredged a few years ago. Do you have any idea?

Dave
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
We've seen the dredges working from time to time over the last few years when we've crossed the bridge at the north end on our way to vist friends on Whidbey. How deep they've dredged is something we don't know.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Guru

Yes the dredging was done quite some time ago.

dhays .... yes we love to go to the Little Cheerful in Bham. And like going to Barns and Nobel and the Starbucks there. Saw Bob there once. If I was to move locally B'ham would be high on the list mostly because of the people there. Much more like Seattle than the rest of rural WA. Lots of kids and bycycles and I do hate the way the town is laid out. A line through the center of town w all the streets at 30 degrees or so.
I'm waiting for Bob to tell us the stuff we don't know about Bham.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
My vote is for Anacortes because the people are so gracious. Chattanooga was recently locked in a competition with them for best outdoor city. When the 4 Marines and Sailor were murdered, a delegation came from Anacortes to show support. I thought it was a very classy thing to do.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
...what is the status of the Swinomish Channel? I know that as of a number of years ago it hadn't been dredged in a long time and the charted depths were only laughable suggestions. I would really love to go North through there, stop in LaConnor etc... but my draft is about 7.5 feet.
I went north from La Conner 2 years ago (on a rising tide) and I draw 6' - never felt alarmed. The issue had been the south entrance which has a deceptive drying area to the north and legacy logging crap to the south.

The dredging was completed last year http://www.portofskagit.com/la-conne...channel-watch/.

Coincidentally I'm inbound to La Conner ETA 2 hours. Falling tide but +7 - I'll be sure to post if I run aground! Might head out the north portion - we don't have a plan at the moment.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It would be interesting to know if the Navionics "Sonar Charts" are different than the NOAA raster charts in the channel as the Navionics charts are crowd sourced and theoretically up to date.

I only have the Canadian Navionics Charts, so can't check the channel. I have found them to be quite accurate so far.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Another reason Bellingham is the best jumping off point for cruising the San ...

Try to squeeze in breakfast at Home Skillet sometime. Best breakfast in town!

The have lunch at StrEat Food in the ferry terminal. Yesterday it was a Porchetta Sandwich that was amazing.

If your here in the summer take a trip up to Artist Point below Mts Shuksan and Baker.

Then of course there are the San Juans. Catch one of the moorings at Patos Island, northern most of the islands.

The Swinomish Channel is passable but heading south stay close to the Whidbey Island side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441507524.929452.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	44174
Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Guru

Thanks for all the info on the Channel folks. Refugio, I hope you have an uneventful trip through.

My wife and I would like to head up through the Channel, would like to stay somewhere near LaConner, then go up to B'ham. Not sure if there are any marinas in LaConner that take transient overnights.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -
There are guest docks in La Conner. Get a copy of the Waggoner Guide. The La Conner facilities are described in it and the marina has an ad promoting their guest dock.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
Guru

We are a stones throw east of the guest float and are spending a lot of time there working on our boat. Let us know when you're stopping and I or we will come out and say hello. We may not be dressed for social but ? .....
Actually I can't think of anyone in this group I wouldn't be pleased to meet.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We are a stones throw east of the guest float and are spending a lot of time there working on our boat. Let us know when you're stopping and I or we will come out and say hello. We may not be dressed for social but ? .....
Actually I can't think of anyone in this group I wouldn't be pleased to meet.
Thanks!

We aren't going anywhere this weekend unfortunately. I have spent the last two days trying to resolve some electrical problems and getting ready to install a new bank of batteries.

However, I would love to do it this fall for maybe a longish weekend. Slow boat, takes us a while. Just don't want to get myself stuck with my 7 1/2 foot draft.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks for all the info on the Channel folks. Refugio, I hope you have an uneventful trip through.

My wife and I would like to head up through the Channel, would like to stay somewhere near LaConner, then go up to B'ham. Not sure if there are any marinas in LaConner that take transient overnights.
Lots of boats passing south, heading for home. Saw some 60'ers, but nothing with a huge draft.

We liked it enough here to stay a 2nd night. Great walks for the dog, a funky "yOUR Community Bakery" (yes, that spelling is correct), and a buck a foot including power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441599277.116745.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	44213
Old 11-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #15

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Best Burgers in the NW

Bob,

You neglected to mention the place with the best burgers in the NW: "Nicky's Bella Marina". Only a couple of hundred feet from the visitor dock in Squalicum Harbor. Their burgers feature a full 2/3rd lb of lean ground beef. They are so big that I usually order cooked rare (it really is good beef), and have them serve on a plate with no bun. They also have a daily happy hour and feature local craft beers on tap. Nice view of the Marina too.

p.s. I tried calling you a couple of times to coordinate dropping by for a beer and boat tour, but it always went to voice mail. Paul
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote