Old 07-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #1

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Another Failed Survey

Just got back from surveying the Heritage Nova 42 we had a contract on. At least I think it was a Heritage Nova 42. In the midst of the inspection we found a manufacturers plate that said Marine Trades International. So, maybe it's a Marine Trader under a different name. Who knows. Anyway, we got about two hours into the survey before I called it off. At least this boat made it a half hour longer then the last one. The boat had the typical issues with window bedding and small areas of delamination. A small amount of interior wood around the windows was rotten. All stuff I was willing to tackle.

I based the offer on "as is, where is" and wouldn't nickel and dime him to death with survey items. With the exception of major items that may arise. Well, they arose. First was the port engine ( Lehman 135 with 1200 hrs), had a pretty good knock around number six cylinder. Mechanic couldn't determine if it was a rod bearing or wrist pin bearing. No way to know unless disassembled. It was pretty bad in that we decided not to do a sea trial. No wanted to take the risk. Second was on the starboard side the tabbing that holds the floor to the side of the hull was broken with about a 1/4 inch gap. This break was about six foot long. Other various tabs were faulty as well. Third was the mount that held the starboard rudder post was so badly corroded the surveyor said the whole thing had to be replaced.

And then two of the Marine Air, air conditioning units failed to work. The compressors were blazing hot. Am I expecting to much from a $60,000 boat? Is this common to have these kinds of major issues in that price range?

The deal is not dead as I need to get estimates and give them a new number. What's ball park for rebuilding a Lehman 135? Can you just replace the compressor on a Marine Air unit. Have searched for the part but no luck. Anyway, just a little disappointed because the boat really was clean with low hour engines and it's getting a little pricey with surveyors and mechanics on two failed surveys. I guess the bright side is it was money well spent...
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
$60,000 was probably too much to start with, assuming a boat with only cosmetic and minor problems. The ones you describe could probably add up to more than half of that.

I woudn't pay $25,000 for a boat with one trashed engine, major tabbing failures, stern gear a wreck and two A/Cs toast.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have a friend with whom I went and did a presurvey examination of a mid 80's Jefferson sun deck trawler. He recently missed a very good condition Jefferson that was listed in the mid $70K. The one we looked at had Cummins that appeared to be ok, newer AC units that needed some attention, heads that didn't work, canvas enclosure that needed to be replaced, and window leaks with some rotten wood below.

He asked my opinion on a price. $20k.

IMO, you need to determine the market value of a turnkey squared away boat of the same make and model. Then start subtracting costs for repairing. Your time has value. If you're going to repair the windows and wood rot underneath, that needs to be subtracted off the value in the same way as the engine repair.

It's important to understand that some boats aren't worth repairing because of the repair cost and absolute value of the squared away value of the boat. This isn't your problem, it's the owners problem. I don't know the particular value of the boat you're lookig at. IMO, with engine, AC, window, and other problems, I don't see how you restore this boat for much less than best market value. If you want to take on the project, offer $10K and count your blessings when he says no.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The only advice I can offer is to try to do a better preliminary inspection before going to agreement of sale. I took over 150 pics of Irish Lady and 3 separate visits before going to survey and I still missed stuff. I also made a list of things to discuss with the surveyor so I wouldn’t forget. The surveyor will miss some small stuff, can you live with fixing them?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
I'd walk away from the Marine Trader/whatever. Too many issues, and some structural. With bulkhead tabs broken, who knows what else in that hull has been over stressed. Too many other boats out there to take on a boat that might not float for a year or more by the time you get it ready.

I feel your pain regarding failed surveys. I surveyed three boats in 2007 before I found one I could live with. On the flip side, the one I'm in now passed survey with only cosmetic issues. Good thing, that survey cost me over $2300 with hull and engine surveys.
sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I have to agree with HighWire, you need to learn from this so that next time you can do a thorough inspection yourself before taking this to a surveyor. I checked every light, pump, ac unit, electronic instrument etc before my survey and the survey as a result didn't tell me too much I didn't already know. I needed it regardless for insurance. This will save a lot of time, money and frustration. One of our members, BoatPoker, has it on his site how to do a self survey and may be worth a read for you.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 07-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Be real cautious that someone is trying to pass a Marine Trader off as a Heritage. I know they look similar, but there is a big difference. Check the hull identification number on the transom. There is a code there that will tell you who built the boat. A list of manufacturers is here: Manufacturers Identification If there is nothing on the transom, run, don't walk away.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
Be real cautious that someone is trying to pass a Marine Trader off as a Heritage. I know they look similar, but there is a big difference. Check the hull identification number on the transom. There is a code there that will tell you who built the boat. A list of manufacturers is here: Manufacturers Identification If there is nothing on the transom, run, don't walk away.
Just checked the hull number. It starts with ETY. Marine Trading for sure. So how did this boat come to be called a Heritage East Nova? Did Marine Trading make this boat? If not, who did. And what's the big difference? This has taken a weird turn for sure....
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidclark View Post
Just checked the hull number. It starts with ETY. Marine Trading for sure. So how did this boat come to be called a Heritage East Nova? Did Marine Trading make this boat? If not, who did. And what's the big difference? This has taken a weird turn for sure....
I am happy that you identified the correct maker of the boat. How did it get to be called a Heritage? I am sure that you can figure it out. Our previous boat was a Heritage East, good quality boats with an excellent reputation, and priced to match.

I suggest that you find a buyers broker to help you steer clear of the junk. The broker won't cost you anything. They get paid by splitting the commission with the sellers broker.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
From what I have read, Marine Traders were built by many companies but imported under the Marine Trader name.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
I suggest that you find a buyers broker to help you steer clear of the junk. The broker won't cost you anything. They get paid by splitting the commission with the sellers broker.

This is a good idea but might be a little hard to find one willing to do much work in the $60K price range.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Did the anchor work?

Seriously, as someone who dropped thousands on a survey of a 52 footer and then ate the cost and walked, I would not go forward.

First, boats are not like houses where it is location, location, location. You get to move them to where you want them. Another boat will come along.
A surveyor does not find everything. The fact that this boat was so neglected tells me there are potentially a ton of other things waiting for you.

I know it is tough to start all over again, but my recommendation is to do just that.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
When I was looking for my current boat I had a buyers broker and his knowledge was invaluable.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The survey was invaluable. It served it's purpose. Now, listen to what it told you and run far away. If you picked up on that many significant issues in 2 1/2 hours, only imagine had you actually been able to do a sea trial and completed the survey.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #15

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Not Mine and no affiliation. Saw a 40 Heritage Nova on YW in Knoxville, TN. Pics shows lives undercover in freshwater. $44K.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...s#.W2IJnXtKhsY
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
What are you expecting in a 30+ year old boat in the 40+ foot range for 60K? I completely agree that you should walk away from this sale and that is exactly why you spend money on when you have a survey.

While I don't expect delaminated tabbing, it's going to be hard to find a 30+-year-old boat that doesn't have a few soft spots, or that won't need a major refit in regards to a number of mechanical systems.

I would almost be walking into these expecting to either replace or overhaul engines and generator.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We bought our at the time almost 30 year old boat with the expectation that there will be a lot of major and minor issues. Unless you don’t want to have issues then look at newer boats and get a much larger budget. You will spend the money at purchase or over the next several years either way. I enjoy working on boats so I am not looking for a boat without projects. But not much scares me away from a boat that meets my needs (desires). But having said that broken tabbing may indicate a problem that I would not want to undertake. I would worry about how the tabbing got broken. Anyway good luck with your search.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
... Unless you don’t want to have issues then look at newer boats and get a much larger budget. ...
There's a video on YouTube by a new Azimut owner (a pretty big one). He says it took 2 years to get all the new boat issues sorted out. Buying a new boat is not a guarantee of anything.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
There's a video on YouTube by a new Azimut owner (a pretty big one). He says it took 2 years to get all the new boat issues sorted out. Buying a new boat is not a guarantee of anything.
Let's keep in mind that is Azimut. Hardly typical of the market. Azimut US (As distinguished from their European operation) is known for quality issues and horrific warranty service provided by Marine Max.

We've purchased new boats in excellent shape when delivered. We always get a survey on a new boat though.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I did not say a new boat, I said a newer boat. Sometimes new boats have quite a few issues but a boat a few years old has had the issues worked out.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote