Another boat sinks in CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My thoughts are standing on a sinking boat is better than swimming earlier.

My thoughts are standing on a sinking boat is better than swimming earlier.

Agreed, "never leave a sinking boat". Not sure if it's true, but I heard a story told during a boating course taught by the Coast Guard. Crew abandoned a sinking sailboat offshore. One crew member had died and was left secured on the boat. The boat was eventually found still floating with the dead crew member on board. The rest of the crew were never found.

Boy...if there is ever a reason to say "it depends" it is when is the right time to abandon ship.

The "last possible moment" might fit....but exactly when is that?

Way to many variables.....

"Another"?? Is there some kind of epidemic?

There was another thread from a boat sinking in northern CA. Let's hope it's not a pandemic in the making!

Summer's a comin'..... lost more sinkings and collisions around the bend.

I heard another boat washed ashore around pt conception a couple weeks ago with one crew aboard and one crew lost at sea. I'm not sure where to find details yet.

I'm not sure if my Albin would sink or float if it was capsized or badly holed. I have never come across much flotation on it during my repairs and exploring but there are a lot of closed spaces which should pocket air.

I guess I would find the highest spot, maybe the flybridge or whatever part looks to be the last to sink and just sit it out and see what happens. On a 36 footer I doubt if there would be much suction if it goes down, I would have flotation on anyway.

Just play the wait and see game.

pete

My Albin would sink like a rock if capsized (unless by a miracle it righted itself in seconds or didn't rip off the doors or blow in the windows), if holed..it depends on a lot.....especially my response.

Unless in flat water, once a boat floods, you never know what list it will take and end in a fast roll.

Last edited:
14 people is a lot, but shouldn't sink a 41 footer.

Never leave a boat until the mast spreaders are under water and going down. I've seen fishing boats float with their bow high out of the water for days before they were re-floated. It's surprising where air can get trapped on a sinking boat.

And boats that become unstable quickly, roll, and drown all aboard.

That step up rule to the liferaft has some good points but needs some serious explanation for all but very seasoned boaters.

Back
Top Bottom