Another Boat Recommendation Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6String

Hey All. Newbie here, looking for my first non inland-lake ship. I'm pretty sure I want fiberglass, non-wood exterior decking, single diesel (no need to go fast), 36 ft or less, flybridge would be great (but not a must), and preferably $75k or less. Need enough room for my wife, myself and my dog (and the occasional overnight guest couple). Mostly summer weekend runs in Lake Huron, with one or two long trips each summer (from Michigan's thumb area up to the Les Cheneaux Islands). I know I'm looking at older boats, and I know I need to find a good surveyor, but I'm curious: are any of the brands - hull or engine - generally more (or less) 'reliable' than others (all else being equal)? Are any hull designs more newbie friendly than others (the largest boats I've spent any significant time with are a 28 ft. runabout and a 30 ft. Pontoon/Houseboat)? Do any brands depreciate less quickly than others? Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I think there's a "sticky" somewhere called "boat buying 101". That may answer some of your questions...

36 Albin or similar Marine Traders can be found in good shape for even less than $50K, save the $25K for the refit and corrections as no new boat that should not need much work will come near $75K.

But trawlers aren't the only animal in town....if you can afford the gas fuel bill, plenty of nice 31 to 35 cruisers that are much newer that will come in near your budget.

I'd recommend a little time on Yachtworld, just looking at the type boats available that fit your parameters. For instance, I just did a search of 30-36' power boats in the US for under $50k (I do agree with setting your upper limit around $50k).

1990 (Power) Boats For Sale

On the first page you'll see some Carver's and a Bayliner which would be excellent for your situation. Just go through a few pages and that will give you an idea of what is in your range. Then you can start putting together things you like and dislike and criteria to narrow it down more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom