Annual costs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10% of the boat cost per year is a pretty good average number (for western/developed countries). Pretty close for my 22 footer (and it's stored on a trailer on a farm when not being used).

Bigger, fancier boats need bigger and fancier parts. Parts for boats built in small quantities are going to be pricey. Some years it'll be more and some less. Have average out the big ticket items (i.e. engine rebuilds).

It'll be a bit higher in the EU.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "...kick the possums out..."?
Recently found 2 of them sitting on the barbecue, outside of course. They will inhabit roofspace if they find an entry, I had to evict one.
The brushtail variety can be nasty brutes, ringtails are cute, and the pretty small sugar glider can "fly" from tree to tree, gliding on extendable membrane.
https://www.wildlife.vic.gov.au/managing-wildlife/possums
Quite unlike the US opossum, or the Irish O`Possum.

Consider a few other possible costs depending on your situation:

1. Memberships like BoatUS and Tow BoatUS, MTOA or GB equivalent. Brendan Isles or equivalent for mail service and a legal address.

2. Storage of your stuff. If you are coming from an RV, you may have already addressed.

3. Transportation. With an RV, you can tow the car around. Not so much with the boat. How do you plan to get around? If you have a car what do you do with it when you cruise or move around? Also, if you keep an auto at a marina in south FL, it more than likely will be near salt water which causes rust/corrosion. You auto might depreciate faster sitting in the salt air and bombarded by the sun.

4. Lodging. More than likely you will need to haul the boat and have work done periodically. You might not be able to live on board during this time. Other boaters may offer temp lodging or you may need to get a hotel room. You might want to budget 5-10 days a year for this.

Annual costs depends on what you include in your math!! We kept our boat in an LLC for tax / liability reasons. We avoided initial sales tax by keeping the vessel in RI. This saved approx. $30-$40K on the $500K vessel depending on state sales tax. Our trawler sipped fuel (3nm/gal), so fuel was not a major component of operating cost. In New England the boat was hauled and winterized each Winter, and kept at a dock during the Summer. I did most of the work and maintenance, and was not an "open checkbook" type. We kept track of ALL costs including buying, selling and depreciation. In round numbers 8 years of ownership and 1,500 hours of run time (approx 10K nm) cost $320K - $40K/year - 10% of final sale price. Your experience may be different but the 10% figure seems real to me, and I know people who easily spend a lot more!! I also know people who will never admit what they really spend!!

Annual costs depends on what you include in your math!!...

Yep. I do finance and management for a living so I'm a little anal about the spreadsheets and accounting. In 2017 our boat cost an average of $1,365 per month, year round, or $16,380 per year. However, about half of that is loan payments on the boat itself (we financed only a fraction of the purchase price but for a very short term so the payments are purposely sky high so we clear it quickly). Then about $3,500 is fall pull, winterization, shrink wrap, storage for six months, and re-launch in the spring. $3200 is annual slip rent. The rest is fed doc fee, state registration (boat and dingy), fuel, insurance and annual maintenance and upkeep, although I do almost everything myself (not because I want to, but it's almost impossible to find boat mechanics and electricians and even cleaning services in my part of the country (South Dakota, Missouri River)). Electronics upgrades here and there each year. This coming summer it'll be the stereo, kind of recreational, unnecessary but nice-to-have expense. We'll need to replace a couple canvas/stratoglas panels on the upper deck. $149 each last time we did that. New water heater this spring. We should do a new refrigerator this year but I'll try replacing the thermistor/temp sensor first. We also got a sweetheart deal on our purchase price just by good luck so that throws off the percent figure. Like Chris says, all depends what you want to include in the % calculation, the relative cost of where you live, winter/no-winter, etc. We're way over 10% for a little while but once we clear the purchase price that'll drop sharply.

Hi Verconium,

You pose an almost unanswerable question. In the boating world, the true answer to your question is "it depends". Not the answer that you're looking for! But the only true and honest answer, nevertheless.

Your true answer will only be revealed to you AFTER you have owned your boat for some time. And, as nobody can see into the future, opinions on what that answer may be (10% of boat value, 24%, blah blah blah) are only opinions, and most of them are stinky. Therefore, I can only offer you anecdotal evidence on what MY true cost of ownership for a similar vessel was.

To set the stage, my previous boat was a 1984 Canoe Cove 53, an aft-cabin fiberglass motoryacht, bought used, owned and operated by myself 95% of the time in the full-displacement (<10kts) mode over a 13 year time span here in the Pacific Northwest. The PNW is far from a 3rd-world country, but probably somewhat less expensive than the southeast US. And FAR, FAR from any $25 per hour labor! I am a confirmed DIY owner, only subbing out ownership tasks such as haulouts and major repairs that were outside either my expertise, or facilities to accomplish. Probably not atypical for the majority of those that participate in this forum.

And here's the numbers over that 13 year time:

Fuel: $41,474
Insurance: $16, 461
Repair and upgrades: $230,689
Moorage: $105, 112
Taxes: $30,369
Depreciation: $53,000
Total: $477,654
Average money per year to own: $36, 743

Note that this table does NOT include my cost of money over those 13 years. Had I chose to invest the money I paid for the boat in 2002 in Southern California real estate and financed the purchase of the boat instead, my money to own this boat would have been several hundreds of thousands of dollars additional.

And also please note that I chose to use "money" for my metric, rather than "cost". I firmly believe in that timeless adage that sums up similar financial calculations for leisure items with the summary:

"Cost-PRICELESS".

It's been worth every penny to me to date.

Regards,

Pete

A thought: your boat has to be somewhere, 365. If you are not underway, anchored out or in a slip you own, you are paying.

Last edited:
I keep thinking if we had used all the boat money to buy, say a piece of property on Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay for retirement it would be paid off by now - but then we live 1500 miles from Rhode Island and as long as we're still working here we'd rarely see it. Would I trade all the quiet, red and gold sunset evenings on the water here for that piece of real estate that I'd see "someday," unless I keel over first? Trade off having a boat free and clear and prepared for the Trent Severn someday? Trade off trucking the boat to Duluth someday and sailing off to the world (or at least North America)? No, I guess not. Ah, trade offs, opportunity costs, choices, choices in life.

Has anyone else said it?
If not then, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
That still about covers it.

Greetings,
Mr. V. Welcome aboard. Good advice thus far.

Finding a nice little corner of paradise and sitting there for a month or two will probably be less $$ than cruising thither and yon. You still have to eat so that is pretty well fixed also. More cruising=more fuel and maintenance. More sitting=more dockage fees.

In the end, ANY formal calculations are guesses, at best. You can add, subtract and cypher to your heart's content but the bottom line is, are you having fun?

200.gif

Hi,

RTF just like this, you did hear the deep problem in a small video:thumb:.

the cat is wise and seldom mistaken, unlike a man who dreams of a new boat...

NBs

Last edited:
I keep thinking if we had used all the boat money to buy, say a piece of property on Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay for retirement it would be paid off by now - but then we live 1500 miles from Rhode Island and as long as we're still working here we'd rarely see it. Would I trade all the quiet, red and gold sunset evenings on the water here for that piece of real estate that I'd see "someday," unless I keel over first? Trade off having a boat free and clear and prepared for the Trent Severn someday? Trade off trucking the boat to Duluth someday and sailing off to the world (or at least North America)? No, I guess not. Ah, trade offs, opportunity costs, choices, choices in life.

And if I hadn't bought those 2 beers and a bowl of noodles back in 2009 and bought bitcoin instead........

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...or a curse.
Deal with the hand that's dealt and move along.

At a glance Alormaria... u may be correct. But I do not live my life that way with regards to major purchases... I research, plan, replan, ... fact is that I’m looking to hang up my boots in 10 yrs and sail off into the sunset... and I’m already budgeting for that now. It has been this attitude and action that has put me into a position to make this dream a reality.... I fully understand that boating is a tremendous waste of money and at times a royal PIA...but it’s a lifestyle choice. And if made frivolously could break a lifetime of retirement savings... I, for one, am grateful that folks have taken the time to share their experiences that mostly confirm what I have learned through other channels... and to the new information that I had not taken into account.. the beauty of trawlers are that they haven’t changed much in recent years.. and chances are that they won’t change much in the next 10... so the notes that I’m making now will still be relevant... props to the forum!!

At a glance Alormaria... u may be correct. But I do not live my life that way with regards to major purchases... I research, plan, replan, ... fact is that I’m looking to hang up my boots in 10 yrs and sail off into the sunset... and I’m already budgeting for that now. It has been this attitude and action that has put me into a position to make this dream a reality.... I fully understand that boating is a tremendous waste of money and at times a royal PIA...but it’s a lifestyle choice. And if made frivolously could break a lifetime of retirement savings... I, for one, am grateful that folks have taken the time to share their experiences that mostly confirm what I have learned through other channels... and to the new information that I had not taken into account.. the beauty of trawlers are that they haven’t changed much in recent years.. and chances are that they won’t change much in the next 10... so the notes that I’m making now will still be relevant... props to the forum!!

I agree completely. I budget everything. It's not a matter of whether we can afford it or not. It's not a matter of whether it's financially justified or not. It's not a matter of logic. It's simply I prefer to know what I'm going to spend on and to estimate how much, then to track the actual.

We budgeted long ago and that included what we were saving for retirement. We had goals but never deprived ourselves to meet them. We had a great home on the lake and a nice boat. We did choose a $200,000 home instead of the million dollar or two million dollar homes others in our income level suggested, but we did so because we loved our home and because we were looking ahead to retirement. We never felt like we sacrificed anything. Simply made a choice.

To do our initial boat budgeting, we sat down with an experienced captain and got his input.

A thought: your boat has to be somewhere, 365. If you are not underway, anchored out or in a slip you own, you are paying.

If it's in a slip you own, you should really include your cost in owning the slip. The money you are paying to buy it plus taxes, insurance and upkeep. And if you didn't borrow to buy it, count the potential earnings the money you spent on the slip would have otherwise earned you.

"If it's in a slip you own, you should really include your cost in owning the slip."

Totally agree. I was just trying to keep it simple. One can also argue "the slip came with the house, so really no additional cost". Well....

My point is that mooring costs for coastal cruisers, given the relatively low cost of fuel these days, can easily exceed the cost of fuel. It does for us, and we prefer anchoring out.

If it's in a slip you own, you should really include your cost in owning the slip. The money you are paying to buy it plus taxes, insurance and upkeep. And if you didn't borrow to buy it, count the potential earnings the money you spent on the slip would have otherwise earned you.
The potential investment return foregone on funds used to purchase the boat and or slip are often called "Opportunity Cost" here. Definitely an "expense" to be taken into account as part of boating cost.
That`s if you want to make the calculation, which I do not.

On a windless motor back from Vanuatu to NZ one of the crew asked the skipper how much it had cost him to own the yacht.
The skipper responded "you know I have kept every invoice, I suppose I could work it out"
He disappeared below to add it up but after 5 minutes or so he came back up and said "mate I'm not sure if I want to know"

The cost of maintaining, berthing, and operation of my boat costs more than my land-based housing costs. Does that mean my priorities are correct?

Has anyone else said it?
If not then, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
That still about covers it.

I first heard this quote as a Jr yacht club member taking sailing lessons. Never forgot it and it helped form the way I look at money. Still puts smile on my face but it never stopped me from asking.

In fifty years of flying and sole ownership of four aircraft, I never calculated the costs...until last year, after selling the last one.

Yep selling was the correct decision. Now, don't ask me about the cost of boat ownership, I don't want to know...yet.

Had just finished my spending analysis looking back 7 years when I saw this thread.

So, here it is:

Insurance: $11092
M&R: $56907
Misc: $3337
Moorage: $40638
Taxes: $6465
Major Upgrades: $39121

Total: $157560/7 = $22508/yr (16.7% of insured value per year)

Getting the boat to move: $41278/7 = $5897/yr

I realize that the 16.7% number is significantly above the common 10% advice, but it needs to be pointed out that this boat moves 3,000 miles with over 470 engine hours per year. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, so fix-when-it-breaks doesn't work for me.

Unexpected failures over the 7 years: two (sanitary hose clogged, and alternator mounting bolt broke). Took 3 hours to install a new sanitary hose (at Baranof Warm Springs), and 20 minutes for the alternator bolt (Petersburg).

Back
Top Bottom