Old 08-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Annapolis Show Cancelled

The city of Annapolis decided this morning that there was no way it could be safely held as scheduled. Both the power and sail shows cancelled.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
That is, of course, a shame. We were planning to go this year if feasible but had "self-cancelled already. What is the latest on FLIBS? Another one we wanted to go to this year (we haven't been to a boat show in 10 years), but now no way.

"Boat Show" was an answer in a gimmicky New York Times Crossword yesterday, linked to "Life Boat".

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
I've been wondering about FLIBS too. There is no way I'd attend, but based on FL's behavior, I expect it will go forward as though nothing has changed.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Guru

FLIBS says they're going to do it. They have full write ups of all the precautions. Now, so did Annapolis until today. I think it will happen simply because of the money involved and boats already planned for transport. However, I only believe it by something like 60% to 40%. I just don't see the city stopping it.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
A bit of thread drift, but I couldn't resist.

I took the pictures below at the Annapolis boat show in 1974
38' Bertram Salon Cruiser
48' GB
30´(?) Cutter

I was fascinated with the very odd Cutter. Even more fascinated to learn that one managed to cross the Atlantic - albeit with a little help.
Attached Thumbnails
A1.jpg   A2.jpg   A3.jpg  
Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
There may not any actual boat shows this year. SIGH
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
No shows this year, probably next year, and very probably the year after that. In Canada the government is already discussing Covid continuing into 2022-3.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
ScottC, thanks for those old pics. Very cool!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: US PNW
ScottC: Thank you for posting those. So cool!
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Newport recently cancelled too, although I see Boot Dusseldorf is still on for January, at least for now. Seems unlikely most of the world will be allowed to travel to Germany though. All passport'ed up and nowhere to go.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Newport recently cancelled too, although I see Boot Dusseldorf is still on for January, at least for now. Seems unlikely most of the world will be allowed to travel to Germany though. All passport'ed up and nowhere to go.
Cannes also cancelled.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
No shows this year, probably next year, and very probably the year after that. In Canada the government is already discussing Covid continuing into 2022-3.
We need to learn but hard to know how many are. We need to learn some new ways of doing things in normal times and in times of moderately high viral threats and in times of pandemics. It's possible to make things work, but it requires sacrifice.

Grocery stores will never again subject cashiers to every customer breathing and coughing and sneezing on them. I know we'll sanitize and clean our stores more diligently and I suspect walking under the infrared temperature check at the door is permanent. When I was young I never missed work which means I worked with colds and flu. How inconsiderate of me that was of my co-workers. I did stop doing that later but in this new world, I'd have just worked from home. I know many businesses had crammed more and more people into tight office spaces and many in open bullpens. When we started our business I decreed none of that and so thankful that everyone has their own space which is at least 10' x 10' and barriers or walls. Now many doing the same.

Business air travel is 90% unnecessary and I hope we all realize that. Someone told me recently about setting up some conference rooms for web conferences and cam meetings. They did it in the early 80's and it was over $50,000 a room. Now you can do it on your phone and on every computer. In fact, I've conducted a lot of business the last few months and gotten to where if I'm conducting it, I want the other person and myself on camera, not just phone. I want to see them and them see me. So much more like being there. Our 6 year old niece grew up on webcams and they have helped her endure the pandemic.

We fully expect pandemic precautions through spring of 2021 and prepared for all year or more. I'm going to say this simply, "It's not that hard to do the right thing". There are no guarantees but we're prepared for an indefinite period of sanitizing and masks and distancing and temperature checks and contact tracing. We could operate our businesses forever the way we are today. I feel for businesses where it is more difficult like restaurants and bars. Still though if I owned one, I'd have found by now a workable solution for me. I'd be doing take outs and I'd have a new layout and improved air and separators and masks and shields for restaurants. You want to line 20 people up at a bar, then put 20 sets of shields including the bar and between the seats so everyone can see but not touch. We haven't started on campus school back but we've bought shields to separate kids and teachers if and when we do. Meanwhile every student has access to a hotspot. That's another change is that hotspots are affordable to install and many districts have. Every kid now has a chromebook and has internet.

I do think you'll see more and more college students doing the majority of their classes online. We have a friend/employee who has done 90% of hers at FAU online. She covers the same material. She has access to instructors and discussion groups. Occasionally she will drive to Boca Raton for something on campus.

Technology makes so many things possible that were not before. Every person with relatives in nursing homes should be able to communicate by cam. It's not that hard to set up. And hopefully nursing homes will learn and be more restrictive and prevent sick employees and visitors coming in the future.

In our offices now we average about 40% in the office and 60% at home but in the office we do have strict rules. We will do meetings online with both those there and at home. Now I do fear companies taking advantage to reduce office size and space as that just pushed people tighter again. Just allow those who can to work from home or office.

I think people will become more dependent on delivery. Right now that's a challenge and costly for some businesses but if they adapt they'll realize they can increase sales without increasing space.

There were plenty of warnings about pandemics and they're all still valid. Then there are lesser diseases that will arise and perhaps not reach pandemic stage but be deadly. Then there's what we're use to with colds and flu. Any business that is not prepared to operate under current conditions for an extended time is being very short sighted. As a business person you don't sit back hoping for all this to end, you learn to operate with it.