Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #41
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,391
I and other cruisers I know fly an anchor ball when anchored up for awhile.

I spray painted an old ball fender flat black and hoist it on tbe mast. It is a little small at 13 inches so I am making a larger one for this winters trip.

You dont see them as often as one should, but they are out there amongst serious, experienced cruisers. If for nothing else, one last thing protecting your liability in a collision.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #42
TF Site Team
 
Insequent's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,372
Seems to me that more info is needed. Is the creek some kind of reserve? Protected habitat? No anchoring after a certain time? Everyone waving, being friendly - or were they indicating you 'are in a bad spot'?

Asking the towboatUS guy 'what's the problem?' might have revealed the information we might just be missing here.
__________________
Brian
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #43
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,383
If the fellow was sincere, he would have explained in a reasonable voice the reason anchoring was wrong.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #44
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If A guy comes at your boat at high speed and stops just short of your boat and yells at you, it's not to give you friendly advice.

Under the wrong circumstances, this guy could have been shot.
Only in America, or maybe Somalia.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #45
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If the fellow was sincere, he would have explained in a reasonable voice the reason anchoring was wrong.
I'll give you an alternative explanation too. Perhaps he yelled because he knew with engines running, he might not be heard. He could even be in the habit of speaking loudly when doing his normal tow work. Perhaps he didn't explain further because he didn't know he was ever heard since there was no recognition or response. He then saw the OP safely off and just let it go at that point.

I have no idea. Neither does anyone else other than the man doing it and to my knowledge he is not currently present. It appeared strange but many things do on the surface and later are found not to be.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #46
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,461
Although I've only read first page of this thread... think I understand enough to comment.

If it had been a tow boat, a police boat, a CG boat or any other boat commercial or private who had approached my anchored boat that way... I'd want intelligent what/why conversation to start right on the spot... immediately! And, to reach a conclusion before I up anchored.

If no conversation was available from the captain on other boat I'd tell him to beg-off and get away from my boat's anchoring space. If no result - I might call the police.

Of course if the other captain would like to yell at me... I'd ask him aboard for a friendly short discussion! - LOL

I know H will appreciate the last portion of the last paragraph!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #47
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,036
OP....did you have your radio on ? No need to get too close or yell with a VHF.

I'd say, spend a few minutes of self examination, see if, in hindsight, you could have done anything to be a better boating citizen, and then just let it go.


“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.” -J Lydgate
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #48
Guru
 
rwidman's Avatar
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,651
Even if the OP was perceived by the tow boat operator to be in or too close to the channel, it is not his place to run up on him and yell at him. He has no law enforcement authority, in this case he is nothing more than a private citizen with a company logo on his boat.

He is entitled to believe that the OP is anchored in a bad spot but he has no right to do anything about it and no right to act and speak in a threatening way. He was being a bully, possibly because he saw a woman on the bow, not a man.

This is road rage on the water, plain and simple. It could have ended badly if the OP had said or done anything about it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #49
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,391
And the supositions keep rolling on.

This is America where you can burn the flag.

Yelling above ambient noise because he perceived someone to be anchored in a marked (sorta) channel, which is against COREGS and possibly the law, is certainly his right.

If that is bullying, well, I would have to take that to OTDE.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #50
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,361
Sounds like much ado about nothing from what I read.
Time to move on.
__________________
Jay Leonard

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
Guru
 
rwidman's Avatar
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,651
You realize, I hope, that no one is forcing you to follow this thread!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #52
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,391
Unsolicited advice.....hmmmm.....isnt that what this thread is about now?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #53
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,254
Gee, I hope none of you smart boaters drop anchor in a creek ever again, or maybe your conscience should smite you who are critical.

Marked channel??
Sort of marked, there are buoys far apart, and I was far away from the red one, and I was anchored close to shore. If this is a marked channel most certainly not the center of the channel, and wow must be very very wide. And if I was in a channel, then that channel is coming right close to the creek shore. There is a NO WAKE sign prominently displayed close to shore, and that sign was about 20 foot off my stern. We were drifting close to it and I was thinking we were getting too close to the shore, but the boat drifted back.

I still think that guy has a GPS track he follows all the time, he came by us, went out, came back, must be based there or something and I was in or close to his usual boating path, and he did not like that.

No one else was yelling or waving madly at us, pulled up to complain like they thought we were doing something illegal. I see a poster is now suggesting illegal anchoring...
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #54
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,029
SD

Seems a good opportunity was lost to have had a conversation with the fellow to hear his point of view. When it comes to anchoring local knowledge can be quite helpful.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #55
Guru
 
rwidman's Avatar
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,651
I see people anchored in the channel all the time. Sometimes in the middle of a channel, fishing. I've even had to stop for people swimming in the channel. It's something we have to learn to deal with as boaters.

What is odd in this situation is, the tow boat operator didn't say why he thought you were anchored in a bad place. We are left to wonder what was on his mind.

Even if he thought you were anchored in the channel, it's not his place to tell you that, especially the way he did it. If this was something that really bothered him, he could have reported you to the Coast Guard or local authorities. Of course he could have called you on the radio from a safe distance and advised you that in his opinion, you were too close to the channel.

Recreational boating is supposed to be fun and it's a shame when some A-hole ruins your day.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #56
Guru
 
rwidman's Avatar
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
SD

Seems a good opportunity was lost to have had a conversation with the fellow to hear his point of view. When it comes to anchoring local knowledge can be quite helpful.
The tow boat guy killed that opportunity by the way he approached and the way he spoke.

And of course the OP had already been anchored there all day without a problem.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #57
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,391
It is a marked channel by definition. If a towboat guy had a trackline in his plotter, so much more so it shows that it is considered the channel there.

No one is being critical, just suggesting the other guy may have had a point even if brusk.

Whether the guy was a jerk or not...certainly subject to interpretation .....and the more one protests, etc....isnt that the saying?

Sorry you are taking it so badly, this stuff seems to happen all the time on the water everywhere I have ever been. Just take it for what you feel it is worth. Just like going by a guy on a paddleboard in the middle of the busy ICW and complaining about your 6 inch wake.

The real problem is the guy who is inventing the problem, claining stuff that either didnt happen or would be interpreted differently by others with maybe more experience on the water including non towboat guys.

As far as a dangerous and bullying manner as interpreted ...all I have to say to that is....:

Yeah, call the CG because someone glared at you...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #58
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It is a marked channel by definition. If a towboat guy had a trackline in his plotter, so much more so it shows that it is considered the channel there.

No one is being critical, just suggesting the other guy may have had a point even if brusk.

Whether the guy was a jerk or not...certainly subject to interpretation .....and the more one protests, etc....isnt that the saying?

Sorry you are taking it so badly, this stuff seems to happen all the time on the water everywhere I have ever been. Just take it for what you feel it is worth. Just like going by a guy on a paddleboard in the middle of the busy ICW and complaining about your 6 inch wake.

The real problem is the guy who is inventing the problem, claining stuff that either didnt happen or would be interpreted differently by others with maybe more experience on the water including non towboat guys.

As far as a dangerous and bullying manner as interpreted ...all I have to say to that is....:

Yeah, call the CG because someone glared at you...
Wifey B: I'll bet you've yelled at people. I'll bet you've gone to do some tows and people about to do something stupid and you have to tell them not to. It's hard to hear over engines. Sometimes people yell instructions to their mate on their own boat if they don't have walkie talkies.

All we know is he approached at high speed of 10-12 knots. Oh shame. And he yelled. Then the audacity to glare when he got no response to yelling. Clearly he didn't yell loud enough.

Maybe you and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's a tow captain. I do it because they generally know the area they're in better than anyone else.

I just don't get all the jumping on the dude when we have no idea what his reasoning was. Wish the OP would give him a telephone call and ask him.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #59
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,391
I give the tow boat guy the reason of doubt because there wasnt any mention of anything bad other than a loud voice and some glaring....despite one individual who made a rash, incorrect assumption and continues to defend an indefensible position....not the OP. The high speed thing? Nope.....

I spent 23 years around turbine helicopters and another 16 operating loud boats.

While I do tend to get loud, a huge part of that beyond hearing loss is I got tired of repeating myself when outside near operating machinery.

Yelling to me usually incorporates anger, being loud is a function of ambient noise to include wind in the listeners ears that can mask a lot. So yes, me conversing with another boat is usually loud, but then again, I rarely have to repeat myself.

The fun thing is years later, I have towed people and they have thanked me for giving them a bit of nautical knowledge they might not have had years before.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #60
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Yelling to me usually incorporates anger, being loud is a function of ambient noise to include wind in the listeners ears that can mask a lot. So yes, me conversing with another boat is usually loud, but then again, I rarely have to repeat myself.
Wifey B: I couldn't hear you. What did you say? You weren't loud enough.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012