Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Maybe he meant you would be waked there. It would have be nice to explain his concern since none of us are mind readers. Just another day on the water.
Exactly, some can read way more into this in both action and interaction than we have info for.

But ....TF is famous for overreaction by some.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If A guy comes at your boat at high speed and stops just short of your boat and yells at you, it's not to give you friendly advice.

Under the wrong circumstances, this guy could have been shot.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
Guru

What post did you get high speed?

And your definition of high speed and stopping close I bet is way different than good boat handlers.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
What post did you get high speed?

And your definition of high speed and stopping close I bet is way different than good boat handlers.
You and I read the same post and came away with entirely different takes on it. The OP felt this guy's actions were inappropriate and threatening or he wouldn't have bothered to post about it.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Wife is up front pulling the anchor, I see this guy coming up and I see he is cutting very close to my bow, he is really getting close, I am thinking is he going to run over my anchor line?? He is that close to us.

So he stops his boat, stares at us intently, and yells at us we are in a bad spot! ??
Quote:

He really did get too close to my bow about 10 foot off the bow. I saw coming in and he did not veer off, it was incredible. I kept thinking he needs to veer off, what is he doing, kept on getting closer, I know my anchor line is out and it is shallow, likely we had 50 foot of line out.
I don't see anywhere where it was stated buy the OP that the tow operator 'came in at a high rate of speed'. He said he came 'too close', which is subjective. Tow boat operators are used to close quarter maneuvers as well as shallow water maneuvers. I suspect 'close' might be subjective and I doubt the tow operator felt that he was operating to endanger.

The screenshot doesn't really tell us how wide that channel actually is. Is there a chance that when you were anchored the boat sat further from the channel, then as anchor rode was being retrieved it pulled the boat closer to the center? how wide is the navigable channel where you were anchored?

Is there a chance that he raised his voice to be heard over the running engines and distance?

Incidentally, when people anchor in or too close to a tight channel, i smile and wave too. As I do so, I also frequently turn to my wife and say "Look at this F@%$$$ idiot".

50+ ft of line in 5 feet of water is a lot of scope, especially in a tight channel.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I don't see anywhere where it was stated buy the OP that the tow operator 'came in at a high rate of speed'. He said he came 'too close', which is subjective. Tow boat operators are used to close quarter maneuvers as well as shallow water maneuvers. I suspect 'close' might be subjective and I doubt the tow operator felt that he was operating to endanger.

The screenshot doesn't really tell us how wide that channel actually is. Is there a chance that when you were anchored the boat sat further from the channel, then as anchor rode was being retrieved it pulled the boat closer to the center? how wide is the navigable channel where you were anchored?

Is there a chance that he raised his voice to be heard over the running engines and distance?

Incidentally, when people anchor in or too close to a tight channel, i smile and wave too. As I do so, I also frequently turn to my wife and say "Look at this F@%$$$ idiot".

50+ ft of line in 5 feet of water is a lot of scope, especially in a tight channel.
He was going about twice the speed than most of the other boats that had demurely passed us by. Maybe about 10 to 12 knots, made a beeline right for us. He cut his engines after passing our bow, backed up some and then yelled we were in a bad spot, then he stood there looking at me. about 30 foot off my port side. Yes it did feel intimidating. Did not say another word, just staring.

My engines were running and so were his. We were about ready to go anyway, I felt it best not to interact with the guy, he seemed edgy, and sort of angry. It was as a feeling you get when someone is trying to run you off. It was just not friendly like, do you know what I mean? Maybe he was having a bad day.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I do not understand how I was anchored in a bad spot.
Wifey B: Then seems like the simple solution would have been to have asked him what he meant by saying you were in a bad spot. Without doing that, then none of the rest is relevant. He had some knowledge you didn't, and you didn't even ask what it was. Maybe he should have explained anyway but perhaps he saw you pulling the anchor up and thought irrelevant at that point.

Perhaps he's observed accidents there. Perhaps he felt based on his experience you should have been closer to shore. I can see that. Daytime, I wouldn't have anchored there.

Oh, and appears your wife agreed with him.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
He was going about twice the speed than most of the other boats that had demurely passed us by. Maybe about 10 to 12 knots, made a beeline right for us. He cut his engines after passing our bow, backed up some and then yelled we were in a bad spot, then he stood there looking at me. about 30 foot off my port side. Yes it did feel intimidating. Did not say another word, just staring.
Wifey B: 10 to 12 knots? Omg a rocket ship.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Then seems like the simple solution would have been to have asked him what he meant by saying you were in a bad spot. Without doing that, then none of the rest is relevant. He had some knowledge you didn't, and you didn't even ask what it was. Maybe he should have explained anyway but perhaps he saw you pulling the anchor up and thought irrelevant at that point.

Perhaps he's observed accidents there. Perhaps he felt based on his experience you should have been closer to shore. I can see that. Daytime, I wouldn't have anchored there.

Oh, and appears your wife agreed with him.
Wife is sort of liking her privacy. But there is no privacy, your in a creek and people are in boats and people will see you and you will see them and there was lots of traffic, people coming and going.

Still there was lots and lots of room for boats to pass by.
Big boats would have easily been able to pass 100 feet off our bow.
Chisman creek is not a small creek, it is like a river.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I wonder if this is an issue with scope? Not fault, mind you. Is there a chance that the tow operator didn't anticipate how much scope you had out? Then realized he almost parted your line. Maybe the oversight and potential accident may have been the source of his frustration? Just playing devils advocate. Admittedly too much speculation on my part.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #31
Guru

Using the OPENCPN ENC chart, i drew a line acroos the creek, it is from shore to shore 0.11 nm, or 660 foot wide.
On my side of the shore, i was about 40 foot away and had plenty of depth.
If you subtract off the other side of the shore, even 200 foot for depth, that leaves
660 - 40(boat from shore) - 25 (boat sticking into creek)- 200 A(extreme amount)
395 foot of navigable water in front of my bow.

On the other shore at the shoreline are covered docks and big slips for big boats.

Unless I figured it wrong should have been plenty of room.
Attached Thumbnails
chisman2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #32
Guru

From the description of the way the tow boat operator approached, I would not have thought he was there to offer friendly advice. And if he was there to offer friendly advice, he certainly would have gone ahead and explained why he thought the OP was in a bad place.

Remember, none of the other boats that passed the OP while he was anchored came up on him to offer friendly advice.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #33

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Never mind, I've got a lot to learn.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
As we boat, we should keep in mind that we don't own the water we boat in. Sometimes other boaters inconvenience us with their actions but what they are doing is perfectly legal and normal.

Sometimes I'll pull into an anchorage and find that I'm inconvenienced by one or more boaters who are already there. Well, that's legal, normal and to be expected. I have to anchor further away. I might even have to select an alternate anchorage. That's life and that's boating.

On my last cruise, I got behind two tugs towing dredging equipment and pipes in a narrow cut. I had to slow to about three knots for a half hour. Again, that's life and that's boating.

So this tow boat operator had no cause for acting as he did and his employer needs to know about this incident. It's likely this isn't the only time he has acted in this manner. Having the skills to do his job is important of course, but representing his employer to the public in a positive way is also important.

As for asking him why he thought the OP shouldn't be anchored where he was, the tow boat operator already blew any chance of a reasonable conversation when he approached the OP's boat as he did and yelled at him.
I agree Mate on your reply. However as for me, if a fella is yelling at me I would like to know why. If he/she is having a bad day that will become clear by a little chat with them.

In this case the Tow boat Fella went out of his way to make a point for some reason. If he was just being a Nutter, as I said I would have told he to bugger off. However we will not know what point he was trying to make or if he was having a bad day. In any case, I would asked him why he felt the need to come up as he did and why he was yelling that it was a bad shot to drop the hook, but that is just me.

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Anchoring at the extreme edge of the natural channel at a wide part with too shallow water further away seems prudent to me. Wonder if showing an anchor day shape would have helped.

Often encounter reckless AHs on the highway. My tactic is to ignore them but will likely swear under my breath.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Anchoring at the extreme edge of the natural channel at a wide part with too shallow water further away seems prudent to me. Wonder if showing an anchor day shape would have helped.

Often encounter reckless AHs on the highway. My tactic is to ignore them but will likely swear under my breath.
Yes, this incident is pretty much "road rage" except on the water, not the road. Ignoring the jerk was probably the best plan. Anything else could have escalated the situation.

As far as an anchor day shape, I have never, repeat never seen a recreational boat showing an anchor day shape.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
You and I read the same post and came away with entirely different takes on it. The OP felt this guy's actions were inappropriate and threatening or he wouldn't have bothered to post about it.
I would hope we would come away with 2 takes on it.

Me, I can see both sides because I have been on both sides. Plus we only heard one side.

You however, have already figured it all out.

Most people who are told they are doing wrong and being glared at usually do feel it is inappropriate till the other side is heard.

While there is no "wrong" in this situation unless someone can without a doubt show the anchored boat was in the channel.....maybe uoon reflection and understanding, there may be a better solution next time. So posting is appropriate, not just feeling being right without more input.

Unless one loves jumping to conclusions.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #38
Master and Commander

Quote:

As far as an anchor day shape, I have never, repeat never seen a recreational boat showing an anchor day shape.
Since professional sailors display the shape, perhaps the harrasser would be intimidated and not be confrontational.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Since professional sailors display the shape, perhaps the harrasser would be intimidated and not be confrontational.
We still don't know why he acted the way he did. Unless the OP left out some serious information, I personally find his actions totally inappropriate. He doesn't own the waterway and has no enforcement authority. The OP did not cut in front of him or restrict his movement.

To me, the guy is a jerk and should be reported. If I had employees acting like that when driving a vehicle or boat with my business name on it, I would not tolerate this behavior and I would want to know about it.

And I have never seen a "professional sailor" display an anchor ball either. I have seen them on cargo ships.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #40
Master and Commander

Quote:
And I have never seen a "professional sailor" display an anchor ball either. I have seen them on cargo ships.
Some time ago I posted a couple of photos in TF displaying the day shape on recreational vessels, including mine. Can't display them now because Photobucket photos are prohibited.