anchor washdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptBud

Veteran Member
Has anyone used a small electric pressure washer tied into the boat domestic water system as an anchor wash down system ?

Has anyone used a small electric pressure washer tied into the boat domestic water system as an anchor wash down system ?

I did research on it and came to the conclusion it would work. There is generally a significant amperage draw, so starting load on either a pure sine wave inverter or the generator should be calculated.

I came to the conclusion that two 60 psi pumps at 7 GPM in parallel, would be more effective using raw water. I currently use one such pump with a modified wand with good success except for windy days. A longer wand would also help.

Ted

I'm intending to look more closely at battery-powered pressure washers... that I could feed with sea water.

That's a bit lower my list of fix-it/prep-it stuff, so haven't gotten a round tuit yet... but our mud around here is such a big deal that I don't want to waste fresh water on it.

-Chris

Clifford Rome's video on vessel preparedness addresses his use of a pressure washer for anchor and deck wash down in this video on his trawler. It's a very thorough video and I wish I remembered where in it the section on the pressure washer was.

https://youtu.be/qqS2pyHZ3w4

I came to a similar conclusion as O C Diver. I'm running a single 7 gpm / 100 PSI pump (Delavan FB2) for a washdown. I debated adding a second in parallel but haven't found it necessary (plus the pump already draws ~25 amps). Mine feeds raw water, actual running pressure/flow is around 4.5 gpm at ~75 psi with a nozzle on the hose.

It does a pretty good job of removing mud. It blasts off the chain just fine and it's rare that I have to slow down or stop to get all of the mud off before the chain goes through the windlass. Only time a bit more water volume might be nice is when cleaning a large clump of mud off the anchor itself.

Going with a battery operated handheld fed by sea water. Quick rinse with fresh should keep it happy.

I came to a similar conclusion as O C Diver. I'm running a single 7 gpm / 100 PSI pump (Delavan FB2) for a washdown. I debated adding a second in parallel but haven't found it necessary (plus the pump already draws ~25 amps). Mine feeds raw water, actual running pressure/flow is around 4.5 gpm at ~75 psi with a nozzle on the hose.

It does a pretty good job of removing mud. It blasts off the chain just fine and it's rare that I have to slow down or stop to get all of the mud off before the chain goes through the windlass. Only time a bit more water volume might be nice is when cleaning a large clump of mud off the anchor itself.

Outstanding. Did you have to upgrade the raw water hose to and from the pump?

Outstanding. Did you have to upgrade the raw water hose to and from the pump?

It's 3/4" hose from the intake thru hull, through a strainer, then a tee for the forward head intake and the washdown pump. Then 3/4" hose from the pump to the deck fitting up forward. Then it's just a 10' garden hose with an adjustable brass cone nozzle on the end. I usually keep it set to a very tight cone, not a jet when washing. Chain gets sprayed right as it comes over the roller so water runs down the chain to knock some of the gunk off before it hits the roller.

I'm going to have to fit my wash down system with a pressure gauge, at least temporarily, to see what I'm getting. 70 psi is similar to municipal water pressure and that is way more than my wash down pump is producing. Thanks RS.

FWIW, pressure on mine is estimated from having to turn the pressure switch up from its default setting of 60 psi to prevent cycling (pump is rated to run up to 100) and amperage draw of the pump (based on the psi vs flow vs amps table from the manufacturer). So 75 psi and 4.5 gpm are estimates, but they're at least fairly close.

If I compare to the unusually good municipal water pressure at our marina, the washdown produces a little less flow with an open hose (as it just can't move as much water), but because it can produce a higher output pressure than the municipal supply, the flow rate through the same nozzle is a little higher from the washdown.

I use this type of wand, although mine is probably a little longer.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...1uKDzAhXpQ98KHTz9APcQwg96BAgBEDs&dct=1&adurl=

Using the round hole nozzle gives the best stream. My pump was too high a volume, and the pressure switch kept switching the pump on and off. Using numbered drill bits (smaller difference between sizes), I kept drilling the hole larger until the pump stayed on continuously. Happy with the results, but a longer wand and / or more volume would be an improvement.

Ted

This last summer I saw a Norty that had an anchor cannon spraying the anchor and rode. So cool but lots of water.

Last edited:
what do you guys think of something like this as a battery powered washer?

I guess I would have to find a strainer if I ran a hose overboard to feed it. . .

My impression (and I could be wrong) is that it will require a pressurized water source. I doubt it could pull that type of vacuum to lift water and pressurized it.

Might work. If it does, I doubt a strainer would be necessary, assuming you're not actually burying the source hose in mud or some such...

Height at your bow may cause a head issue, and if so maybe a longer source hose and off the (lower) stern might help... if that works at all. But Ted might be right...

I've been meaning to try something like that, though... but just haven't gotten my windlass working well enough to try anchoring yet...

-Chris

I think you guys are correct, I would probably have to fill a bucket up with water and feed the unit with that.

what do you guys think of something like this as a battery powered washer? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...Power-Cleaner-Tool-Only-RY121850VNM/317531019

I guess I would have to find a strainer if I ran a hose overboard to feed it. . .

I bought the Ryobi battery powered kit. It comes with a fine strainer. One problem was that every time you stopped the power for a moment, the hose drained back down. Since I was about 10 feet above the saltwater, that took 10-15 seconds for the pump to prime and start working again. I put in a simple check valve and that solved that problem.

The kit comes with a "pop bottle" attachment that fits a 2 liter plastic bottle. After the chain was in the locker, I mixed a little Salt Away in the bottle and sprayed the chain. That rinsed the chain and the internals of the Ryobi pressure washer.

Now the other problem. It worked about 6 times. Then it started making noises and couldn't generate pressure. My Home Depot warrantee had expired and I could only go through Ryobi. As the directions state "fresh water only," I just wrote the whole thing off as an experiment and took one for the team. Your experience may vary.

thanks for that post, Marco. Any idea how much water you went through to clean your anchor and chain?

thanks for that post, Marco. Any idea how much water you went through to clean your anchor and chain?

At least several gallons per 100' of chain. I first thought that I might get by with just using the 2 liter bottle on the front deck, but that went really fast. I'm not sure what project would be small enough for using the bottle attachment. Cleaning one car wheel?

I had high hopes for the battery powered Ryobi. When it worked, it was great. The battery that it comes with is good for 15 minutes, enough time for 2-3 retrievals before needing a recharge. I had the charging station set up so that I just popped the battery back on it when underway. One of our favorite anchorages has a sticky clay bottom and the Ryobi blasted the chain clean almost without pausing. It quickly cut through the big gob of clay that inevitably sticks to the anchor blades.

It is possible that it failed for some reason other than my using saltwater and I just happened to get a defective one. But I'm not planning to try another and I haven't found time to conduct an autopsy, if that is even possible.

It is possible that it failed for some reason other than my using saltwater and I just happened to get a defective one. But I'm not planning to try another and I haven't found time to conduct an autopsy, if that is even possible.

I really think salt water will destroy an item like that that wasn't made for it.

thinking I might try it with a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water . . .

The small Karcher units have a composite pump
Same pump as used in some smaller watermakers
Need a power cord to run them.

I have this sprayer wand on our domestic water. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQD55M9/

I've found the pin-hole nozzle tip does the best job without wasting a ton of water. It throws a strong enough jet, and keeps a tight enough stream to hit the chain without a lot of trouble. It's usually strong enough to get the muck off the chain without stopping the windlass.

I have it connected to an expandable hose, that stows in a enclosure mounted to the access hatch for our chain locker. Which I bought from this eBay seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194646963254

I just hang the end of the hose with the wand attached over the spigot that's in that locker (no pix, sorry).

First we Wet the deck before hauling in the anchor.

Next, we place an old towel under the chain, well forward of the windlass.
After the chain is in we wash the pulpit/deck down.
Lastly, Meguiar's #91 is perfect for taking mud stains off.

Back
Top Bottom