Old 09-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

City: Battle Ground
anchor washdown

Has anyone used a small electric pressure washer tied into the boat domestic water system as an anchor wash down system ?
CaptBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBud View Post
Has anyone used a small electric pressure washer tied into the boat domestic water system as an anchor wash down system ?
I did research on it and came to the conclusion it would work. There is generally a significant amperage draw, so starting load on either a pure sine wave inverter or the generator should be calculated.

I came to the conclusion that two 60 psi pumps at 7 GPM in parallel, would be more effective using raw water. I currently use one such pump with a modified wand with good success except for windy days. A longer wand would also help.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I'm intending to look more closely at battery-powered pressure washers... that I could feed with sea water.

That's a bit lower my list of fix-it/prep-it stuff, so haven't gotten a round tuit yet... but our mud around here is such a big deal that I don't want to waste fresh water on it.

-Chris
Old 09-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Clifford Rome's video on vessel preparedness addresses his use of a pressure washer for anchor and deck wash down in this video on his trawler. It's a very thorough video and I wish I remembered where in it the section on the pressure washer was.

https://youtu.be/qqS2pyHZ3w4
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I came to a similar conclusion as O C Diver. I'm running a single 7 gpm / 100 PSI pump (Delavan FB2) for a washdown. I debated adding a second in parallel but haven't found it necessary (plus the pump already draws ~25 amps). Mine feeds raw water, actual running pressure/flow is around 4.5 gpm at ~75 psi with a nozzle on the hose.

It does a pretty good job of removing mud. It blasts off the chain just fine and it's rare that I have to slow down or stop to get all of the mud off before the chain goes through the windlass. Only time a bit more water volume might be nice is when cleaning a large clump of mud off the anchor itself.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Marion
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Going with a battery operated handheld fed by sea water. Quick rinse with fresh should keep it happy.
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I came to a similar conclusion as O C Diver. I'm running a single 7 gpm / 100 PSI pump (Delavan FB2) for a washdown. I debated adding a second in parallel but haven't found it necessary (plus the pump already draws ~25 amps). Mine feeds raw water, actual running pressure/flow is around 4.5 gpm at ~75 psi with a nozzle on the hose.

It does a pretty good job of removing mud. It blasts off the chain just fine and it's rare that I have to slow down or stop to get all of the mud off before the chain goes through the windlass. Only time a bit more water volume might be nice is when cleaning a large clump of mud off the anchor itself.
Outstanding. Did you have to upgrade the raw water hose to and from the pump?
Old 09-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Outstanding. Did you have to upgrade the raw water hose to and from the pump?
It's 3/4" hose from the intake thru hull, through a strainer, then a tee for the forward head intake and the washdown pump. Then 3/4" hose from the pump to the deck fitting up forward. Then it's just a 10' garden hose with an adjustable brass cone nozzle on the end. I usually keep it set to a very tight cone, not a jet when washing. Chain gets sprayed right as it comes over the roller so water runs down the chain to knock some of the gunk off before it hits the roller.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
Guru

I'm going to have to fit my wash down system with a pressure gauge, at least temporarily, to see what I'm getting. 70 psi is similar to municipal water pressure and that is way more than my wash down pump is producing. Thanks RS.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
Guru

FWIW, pressure on mine is estimated from having to turn the pressure switch up from its default setting of 60 psi to prevent cycling (pump is rated to run up to 100) and amperage draw of the pump (based on the psi vs flow vs amps table from the manufacturer). So 75 psi and 4.5 gpm are estimates, but they're at least fairly close.

If I compare to the unusually good municipal water pressure at our marina, the washdown produces a little less flow with an open hose (as it just can't move as much water), but because it can produce a higher output pressure than the municipal supply, the flow rate through the same nozzle is a little higher from the washdown.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I use this type of wand, although mine is probably a little longer.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...s&dct=1&adurl=

Using the round hole nozzle gives the best stream. My pump was too high a volume, and the pressure switch kept switching the pump on and off. Using numbered drill bits (smaller difference between sizes), I kept drilling the hole larger until the pump stayed on continuously. Happy with the results, but a longer wand and / or more volume would be an improvement.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
This last summer I saw a Norty that had an anchor cannon spraying the anchor and rode. So cool but lots of water.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote