Anchor Wars come to Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwed up the pics

Attachments

• D0C030AE-BF15-4765-9DBB-2D5827D781DC.jpg
    D0C030AE-BF15-4765-9DBB-2D5827D781DC.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 48
Not trying to be an ass but what kind of person wants a composting toilet? Is it the same person who puts soiled toilet paper in the trashcan by the toilet? Both sound disgusting to me! Maybe do like Greta T's crew... Do it in a bucket and when it gets full pour it into a biodegradable bag and throw it in the ocean. How much sense does that make to a person of average intelligence?

Try harder . . .

Just north of the FL/GA line. Southern part of Cumberland island. Pretty sure this is still a legal Anchorage.

Don’t think this helps this thread at all...just saying we just anchored last night in GA and it was CV awesome and we didn’t get thrown in jail....yet.

Wifey B: You better get into Florida fast before they find you. :rofl:

Yes, if the boat has a toilet. My point was that toilets and holding tanks are not required.
It has to have a USCG approved type 1,2 or 3 MSD if the boat has a toilet onboard. 3 being a holding tank (unless the toilet is a self contained porta potty) and 1/2 being treatment devices.

If the overboard discharge is disabled so is the type 1/2 MSD.

"Vessel Operators: No person may operate any Vessel having an installed toilet facility unless it is equipped with an installed and operable MSD of a type approved by the U.S. Coast Guard to meet the requirements of 33 CFR Part 159."

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...ineering-Division/Mechanical-Engineering/msd/

I guess along with porta potties come composting or incinerator toilets.

Isn't the operative law that waste is not to be pumped overboard? If one is not doing that, well, who cares what system is on board.
Okay, since you brought it up, if we had a composting toilet where does that fit into the law? I don't believe that they are "approved devices", so where does that leave the boater with a composting toilet? In our "boat to be" we envision changing the rear (master's) head to a composting toilet. We would probably leave all the ancillary stuff there (tank/hosing etc) to allow a standard toilet to be added back at a later date if required. The front toilet would be a fresh water flush w/ holding tank. So if we are just using the composting toilet, we lock the Y valve and we're good? And keep a log of when/if we pump out the front tank, correct?

Really? Really? Lots of folks have composting toilets. I do not and would not but where do you get off disparaging the legitimate choices of others? Get a life!
Not trying to be an ass but what kind of person wants a composting toilet? Is it the same person who puts soiled toilet paper in the trashcan by the toilet? Both sound disgusting to me! Maybe do like Greta T's crew... Do it in a bucket and when it gets full pour it into a biodegradable bag and throw it in the ocean. How much sense does that make to a person of average intelligence?

Isn't the operative law that waste is not to be pumped overboard? If one is not doing that, well, who cares what system is on board.

Circular discussion so would have to say no....if you have some sort of toilet, you have to have an MSD...what qualifies and how it is disabled matters to the poop police. It doesn't matter that you just aren't set up for discharging.

One post above shows how composting toilets have been addressed....

But if you have a type 1/2 MSD and a toilet and it is disabed, and you DON'T have a holding tank, you are in violation. Some boats are set up this way...

this is not directed at anyone in particular but it is a discussion not understood by many boaters....or legislators for that matter too...:D

So with regards to Electro Sans Type 1 MSD and other similar systems. Until the State has received permission to enact a NDZ from the EPA, Type 1 MSD systems remain legal in federal waterways.

But if cited by the State LEO, then you would have to challenge the law in Federal Court?

Really? Really? Lots of folks have composting toilets. I do not and would not but where do you get off disparaging the legitimate choices of others? Get a life!

I didn't "disparage" anyone. I just ask what kind of person does it. Obviously people with little sense of smell. Quick question.. What does one do with the composted poop when it dries up and quits smelling? Where do they dispose of the soiled toilet paper in the trash can? How about the pee collected that doesn't get composted? All of this save the world stuff is BS. Just had a thought.. If I have my valves and holding tank under lock and key and I piss while taking a shower am I breaking the law?

I apologize, I will refrain in the future from making posts requesting clarification/information from a forum that in the past has been nothing but helpful.

Also, you might want to do a little research on composting toilets before you weigh in on them in the future.

From EPA.gov - Composting toilets are a Type 3 MSD (holding tank)

——---------------------

Composting toilets may be considered a Type III marine sanitation device by the U.S. Coast Guard. Type III devices that store sewage and flushwater at ambient air pressure and temperature are not subject to formal certification by the U.S. Coast Guard, as long as the device complies with the following requirement: "Be designed to prevent the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage (Type III)." Please note that most composting toilets have not been examined by the U.S. Coast Guard. Instead, in most cases, the device manufacturer attests that the device meets the aforementioned requirements.

The contents of both the liquid waste container and the compost chamber must be properly disposed of such that no overboard discharge occurs.

Weebles, thanks for the info above. It helps in the decision making process unlike another poster's response. My intent was to use the forward standard head for guests, and for disposing of the accumulated liquid waste from the composting head. One holding tank would collect a LOT of liquid from a composting toilet. Responses like yours is what has kept me coming back to the forum.:thumb:

I apologize, I will refrain in the future from making posts requesting clarification/information from a forum nothat in the past has been nothing but helpful.

Also, you might want to do a little research on composting toilets before you weigh in on them in the future.

It's not you......

...Is it the same person who puts soiled toilet paper in the trashcan by the toilet? Both sound disgusting to me!...

Putting the used paper in a trashcan and not the toilet is the practice in a lot of places in this world. Based on population it may be the majority practice. Those people may look at those who throw the used paper in the toilet as the disgusting ones.

Putting the used paper in a trashcan and not the toilet is the practice in a lot of places in this world. Based on population it may be the majority practice. Those people may look at those who throw the used paper in the toilet as the disgusting ones.

Wifey B: And what about diapers? Both baby and adult? :rofl:

On the boat, I place soiled toilet paper in an enclosable waste basket and don't think it disgusting. While I do flush paper at my land-based home, I don't want to over-work the boat's toilet system unnecessarily even when many others believe that's not a problem.

Regardless, I follow the protocol of owners on other boats.

Last edited:
Weebles, thanks for the info above. It helps in the decision making process unlike another poster's response. My intent was to use the forward standard head for guests, and for disposing of the accumulated liquid waste from the composting head. One holding tank would collect a LOT of liquid from a composting toilet. Responses like yours is what has kept me coming back to the forum.:thumb:
Thanks for the shout out. In my opinion, the setup you are considering makes a lot of sense - one head compost, the other not. Allows you a lot of flexibility and reduces need for pump out or running afoul of NDZ or similar restrictions. Compost heads reportedly get overloaded when there are more than two full time users, so having a second normal head is great, especially since you have a holding tank for liquid wast containment.

As to the comment questioning who would chose a compost head (a legitimate question phrased indelicately), it is someone who has grown tired of servicing a relatively high maintenance system of hoses, pumps, valves, tanks, switches, circuitry, and thru hulls; all of which take up a significant amount of space and requires a pump-out tether to be legal (in all fairness, I suspect broad illegal use of either system, but that's just a hunch). I would think that for anyone considering the Great Loop, a compost head would be seriously considered. Admittedly, they are not for everyone.

Veering back to the original thread on anchoring restrictions, last night, I went through the Madeira Beach anchorage in question - the one the MB town council was trying to remediate as of January 1. I detected no change in number or quality of boats, though there was a sunken ketch on the other side of the bridge (north side)

First I have a few friends north of the boarder that use composting toilets. They do not stink or admit any smell if used properly.

Poop/pee toilet paper in the trash? nasty. But then again you have less chance of a clogged system.

We flush our TP, but we use lots of water and single ply TP (Scotts). Yep sometimes you have to wipe and flush twice, but that beats the heck out of seeing brown TP in the waste basket....ohhhhh nasty!

First I have a few friends north of the boarder that use composting toilets. They do not stink or admit any smell if used properly.

Poop/pee toilet paper in the trash? nasty. But then again you have less chance of a clogged system.

We flush our TP, but we use lots of water and single ply TP (Scotts). Yep sometimes you have to wipe and flush twice, but that beats the heck out of seeing brown TP in the waste basket....ohhhhh nasty!

Wifey B: Much like bidets, there are now hand held devices for cleaning yourself. Even portable and travel ones. Fill with water, squirt when needed, all the brown and stink is nicely washed away without toilet paper even involved. :blush:

Wifey B: And what about diapers? Both baby and adult? :rofl:
I personally use cloth diapers, wash and reuse. ( really just joking , but I am getting older and you never know)

If you're seeing brown TP, you're folding it all wrong....:D

Nobody ever answered my question... What do you do with the composted ****, piss and soiled toilet paper when you get tired of smelling it? How do you make it disappear. I don't think you can. I think most dispose it in a way that makes them feel better about saving the world even if it does nothing more than making them feel better about destroying the world.

Wtf does this have to do with anchoring in GA?!?!?!?!? C’mon guys!

Why can't you hear a psychiatrist using the bathroom? Because the "p" is silent.

Back
Top Bottom