Anchor Wars come to Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We all know better to buy fuel in NY because of all the taxes piled on. We fuel up before enter NY or after we leave NY.
Now, we are beginning to see the advantages of starting out very early so we dont have to anchor in GA or anchoring out, just before we enter GA. LOL

We all know better to buy fuel in NY because of all the taxes piled on. We fuel up before enter NY or after we leave NY.
Now, we are beginning to see the advantages of starting out very early so we dont have to anchor in GA or anchoring out, just before we enter GA. LOL

Except for that one spot I found on the Hudson on the north side of Haverstraw this summer. Only paid $3.19 / gallon for gas there :dance:

Except for that one spot I found on the Hudson on the north side of Haverstraw this summer. Only paid $3.19 / gallon for gas there :dance:

I was thinking diesel. That price for gas if fantastic especially in NY.

I was thinking diesel. That price for gas if fantastic especially in NY.

I remember their diesel prices being similarly good. It was a big fuel depot that happened to have a fuel dock. Cheapest fuel we bought that whole trip by almost $0.50 / gallon (and over $1 / gallon cheaper than fuel at my home marina in Rochester).

I have gone back several times and read the dialogue and I think several of you are greatly overreacting to what they said. Now, I think what he said is unfortunate, but he was simply saying not to blame the anchoring law on him. Then when the other person said the marina should work to get it changed and took an adversary voice with the marina, that's when the marina owner, unfortunately, said if he was going to come with that attitude, blaming him, then he'd prefer he not come.

At no point did he say he didn't want those opposed to the law to come. Simply he didn't want a person attacking him and blaming him for the law to come. We also don't know what took place between the two persons prior to the part cut and pasted. I don't even know where this discussion took place, but it was between two people and antagonistic.

I don't know either individual but I'm not going to go to or to avoid a marina based on that conversation. The marina didn't say they didn't want any business, just didn't want that persons if that was going to be their attitude.

+1:thumb:

It wasn’t that the fellow from Brunswick told the other man to stay away, it was that he clearly stated that he had done what little he could and that was that. It was the abandonment of the fight against this rule that was the issue. He or his company tried for a little while to protest, but gave up at the first chance and was not going to do anything more.

Purely by coincidence, this rule will have the effect of directing many more boats into marinas at night.

Last edited:
As someone else has offered there are plenty of options to anchor just inside an inlet in Georgia if you need to and never visit a boat yard, marina, or restaurant. It's not until the business owners feel it (and you let them know you skipped them) that things will really change.

It wasn’t that the fellow from Brunswick told the other man to stay away, it was that he clearly stated that he had done what little he could and that was that. It was the abandonment of the fight against this rule that was the issue. He or his company tried for a little while to protest, but gave up at the first chance and was not going to do anything more.

Purely by coincidence, this rule will have the effect of directing many more boats into marinas at night.

I have no doubt that Brunswick Marina issued a strongly worded protest to their District Rep's aide once they determined their slips would now be booked solid.

I hope the ICW Cruising Guide will update charts with the 'Georgia Bypass' routes.

Last edited:

He doesn't have an obligation to keep fighting. None of us know how much effort he's invested, but he also has a marina to operate as the season approaches. He's turning his focus to other things.

Here's another question I have not seen raised. What is the measuring point? The anchor location or the boat location. The law does not define it.

Boat location. So if you anchor off St Mary's, keep your swing to the FL side!

I have no doubt that Brunswick Marina issued a strongly worded protest to their District Rep's aide once they determined their slips would now be booked solid.

I hope the ICW Cruising Guide will update charts with the 'Georgia Bypass' routes.

Ironically, when the GA DNR did their required "Economic Impact Analysis" on House Bill 201, they stated it may be revenue accretive for the marinas. The full document can be found here https://coastalgadnr.org/sites/default/files/crd/PublicNotice/Live%20Aboards_Aug19%20391-2-3%20%26%20391-4-5%20CRD%20WRD%20LC%20Package.pdf

The relevant page is attached as an image.

Attachments

• HB201 Economic Impact Analysis.PNG
    HB201 Economic Impact Analysis.PNG
    132.1 KB · Views: 30
So the word is going out in a broader net telling people that Georgia is the unfriendliest state in the Union when it comes to anchoring. Sad when you see the wonderful coastline and people that Georgia has to offer . . . at least the ones not in Gov't and not the ones who see Georgia's beaches and coastlines as the private reserve of the affluent and politically influential.

So the word is going out in a broader net telling people that Georgia is the unfriendliest state in the Union when it comes to anchoring. Sad when you see the wonderful coastline and people that Georgia has to offer . . . at least the ones not in Gov't and not the ones who see Georgia's beaches and coastlines as the private reserve of the affluent and politically influential.

Slow:
I couldn't agree more. Georgia's coast is a national treasure. This article from a few years ago, summed it up nicely for many of us.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/georgia-on-my-mind/

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON GA ANCHORING ISSUE

Thanks to all who have supported our effort to establish the Georgia Anchoring Advocacy fund to retain Scott Draper, a professional lobbyist. We have reached 63% of our funding goal in a matter of days with your help. In less than a week Scott has come up to speed with the issues we have identified in HB201, Georgia’s anchoring law that took effect January 1st, 2020. He was able to broker a conference call with GA DNR Commissioner Mark Williams, his team and our anchoring coalition which we just conducted today, Feb 25, 2020.

Over the course of almost two hours, we had open dialogue on the problems DNR was trying to address with HB201 as well as some of the issues the cruising community had with its incarnation as law. All parties felt the call was productive and there is agreement in principle to refine Rep. Ron Stephens’ HB833 to best achieve our mutual objectives and to push the legislation through the current session in the next few weeks. HB833, if it passes, is expected to replace most parts of HB201.

We are not out of the woods yet, but Georgia policymakers appear to now be responsive to changing some of the most questionable facets of the laws passed last year, including restrictions for where vessels may anchor, the identity of cruising and transient vessels. Commissioner Williams is not willing to rescind the Administrative Order signed on December 30, 2019 that prevents boats from anchoring within 1,000 feet of structures throughout the coastal region of the state, until a legislative fix, HB833, is passed by the General Assembly.

We are optimistic about today's progress and look forward to working with Commissioner Williams, with his support, on HB833. Your support is needed now more than ever to assist in the funding of lobbying efforts that have helped us achieve some degree of success in having Georgia DNR and lawmakers hear our collective voice. Our fight continues in the legislature in the days ahead.

Please join nearly 100 other boaters from across the country and around the world who have supported this effort. Contribute at www.greatloop.org/Georgia

Save Georgia's Anchorages

What about Georgia's maybe illegal overriding of the EPA NDZ regulations?

It would seem this marina doesn't want any of your business if you have issues with the new law.

Well, marinas, would certainly be on the short list of people who might have a financial interest in prohibiting people from anchoring out.

If I had paid a lot of money for a law to be passed, I wouldn't appreciate people trying to kill my deal, either.

But, it's kind of short sighted. If boaters get the idea that they are not welcome in Georgia, they're going to get through Georgia as quick as they can, which might end up meaning less transient slip rental than before.

Last edited:
So has this group talked to The American Boating Congress? They are meeting in Washington D.C., May 12-14, 2020. You can register at: NMMA.ORG/ABC

So has this group talked to The American Boating Congress? They are meeting in Washington D.C., May 12-14, 2020. You can register at: NMMA.ORG/ABC

Thanks Sea Duction:
Indeed we are working closely with Lee Gatts of the NMMA. We need the Georgia Bill HB 833 passed before May and intend to do everything we can to push it through.

Hmmmm, typo or intentional?
Please keep Georgia the #1 state do do business in!"

Is this like being #1 in the #2 business?

Freudian slip?

Urgent action needed!
We have been working diligently to undo the damage from last session’s HB-201 which resulted in a series of extreme rules that are unfriendly to boaters. The bill we think fixes the majority of the issues, HB-833, is now before the Rules Committee of the Georgia House of Representatives. We need boaters to email the members of the House Rules Committee immediately. If the Rules Committee does not move the bill forward tomorrow (Tuesday), the bill will die for this session and the rules will remain in effect for at least another year.

HB-833 is good news for the recreational boating community and makes public water exactly what it should be – public. Please email the following:

<snip>

Here is a short and sweet message template:
"Please support Ron Stephens’ HB 833 which redefines restrictive anchorage restrictions that will open up Georgia’s coast line and marine industry for commerce. Please keep Georgia the #1 state to do business in!"

I've been advised that overnight, our collective voices have been heard in Atlanta and we are being asked to stand down on our email campaign. I've asked the Admin here at TF to remove my post. Thanks for everyone's support!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom