Anchor roller screws working out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I’ve only taken the boat out twice this year. Both times have been problematic.

This time was miner. Anchored out in the harbor with my daughters families to give them all a little boat time. When I brought the anchor up, the after roller lost the port side screw that kept it in place.

For once the boating gods were smiling on me and the screw ended up head down on the edge of the anchor pulpit and didn’t go overboard. I put it back together at the time and all was well.

Today I went out to the boat to take a closer look. The anchor roller is one of those that has two rollers on either side of a pivot. I don’t have a photo of it. The two stainless steel rollers and the stainless steel pivot are attached by pairs of SS screws on either side of the assembly and screw into threaded rods. Two of these rods then have a roller around them and the third acts as the pivot, allowing the assembly to angle forward when deploying and retrieving the anchor.

I discovered that those 6 large SS screws were assembled, and then tack welded to keep them from working out. Well, of the 6 screws, 5 of those little tack welds have broken. This allows the screws to eventually work out.

So my question is this…. I don’t have the ability to tack weld the screws and the pivot screws would have to be welded in place on the boat as they have to be tack welded to the SS plates that are permanently mounted on the boat’s deck. The rollers I could take to a shop and have them tack welded, but not the pivot.

Would something like Locktite work in this application and if so, which would you recommend?

Clean the threads and put a touch of 5200 on the threads torque them up and call it good.

Ted

Clean the threads and put a touch of 5200 on the threads torque them up and call it good.

Ted

Thanks guys. I would be worried about overdoing the 5200 and then not being able to remove it. However, I will go with that or Locktite.

Thanks a lot.

If you need to remove it heat will loosen up 5200.

I would also use loctite. 5200 is worth a try it might hold.
Either way, I would put a small “ding” in the threads of each screw near the head to mechanically lock it.

The screw most likely goes into an axle that will stay stationary while the roller rotates around it. Make sure the roller is friction free as it rotates, you may have to disassemble and lube it.

I would also use loctite. 5200 is worth a try it might hold.
Either way, I would put a small “ding” in the threads of each screw near the head to mechanically lock it.

Yup. It's called "staking."

It’s not really staking. Staking would be using a punch to deform it after its fully assembled.
What I suggested is simply mucking up the thread so it binds during the last revolution or so.

Back
Top Bottom