Anchor flopper stopper - replacement lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't the highest compression loads be at the base of the outrigger pole?

Badger doesn't have flopper stopper or paravane poles...compression occurred because there is no vertical support under mast to carry loads to the hull, combined with a void in the core directly under one corner of the mast base. Like I said; grrrrrr

Out of most all rigging I see where loading and unloading is involved, I really don't see much in the way of shock absorption. Rolling isn't instantaneous so I strongly disagree with shock absorption being used .

Buy using rubber, you are storing the energy and it will be released at some point ...possibly more violently or it will just stretch and reduce the amount of roll dampening.

When rigging works versus more static or solid, failures are higher....correct?

If the strain is too much, reduce the resistance unless beefing up is done.

Last edited:
Has anyone attempted to use the flopper stopper arrangement fixed directly to the midship cleats (at the depth to clear the hull) vs the use of poles? Seems to me that the cleats could take the loading much easier than the cantilevered poles/mast/stay arrangement.

Has anyone attempted to use the flopper stopper arrangement fixed directly to the midship cleats (at the depth to clear the hull) vs the use of poles? Seems to me that the cleats could take the loading much easier than the cantilevered poles/mast/stay arrangement.

I have my doubts whether the cleats could handle the load. I wouldn't want to find out. Also, the paravanes work better the further out they are from the centerline. Hanging them down from the side of the boat would have far less effect than 10' out from the side of the boat. All about leverage.

I've used both the orange safety cone looking flopper stoppers and the Magna panels off of midship cleats.

In both cases they worked pretty well as long as you deploy them off both sides of the vessel simultaneously.

No issues with the cleats. But in every case they were deployed that way off of well built vessels with properly backed cleats.

Of course both styles of flopper stoppers work better if deployed off an extension arm of some kind.

Thanks, I'd do both sides with same arrangements.... As for your experience, that's kinda what I thought would be the case. My cleats are relatively robust on my GB42 and I'd be more concerned about adding the poles w/mast loading (vs straight cleats).

Thanks again for your input!!

If for at anchor only... Direct to cleat is not a load issue. We often tie to the midships cleats when on a mooring in Catalina as there is not enough space for the poles. Less effective but still effective at reducing and, more importantly, slowing roll.

Yea, for anchor only. I have NIADS for underway, but my goal is to eliminate or minimize roll at anchor... thanks!!

I think they'd work fine off the boat cleats amidships if the plate was big enough. Inboard of the usual extended on a polespar would just need more area to work on. If the plates were big enough the boat would'nt roll at all. And of course using two flopper stoppers doubles the effect and greatly reduce jerking.

I wonder what would happen if you took a kellet or heavy anchor and a bridle and suspended it under the boat from midship cleats. As long as the weight is off the bottom, that would be an easy rocker stopper to slow the motion at anchor.

Would not work on shallow water, since the weight would swing on the bridle, not sit on the bottom. That rules at most of FL and Bahamas :)

Weight alone hanging off the midship cleat won't reduce rolling much. Weight adds a bit of inertia, which has both negative and positive effects on rolling.

Horizontal surface area is required to provide resistance to the vertical movement of the flopper stopper. No vertical movement means no roll.
The further away from the boat centre line the flopper stopper is; the more effective it will be.

For stuff like this I get Amsteel Blue from masterpull.com, with stainless thimbles.

Weight alone hanging off the midship cleat won't reduce rolling much. Weight adds a bit of inertia, which has both negative and positive effects on rolling.

Horizontal surface area is required to provide resistance to the vertical movement of the flopper stopper. No vertical movement means no roll.
The further away from the boat centre line the flopper stopper is; the more effective it will be.

That wasn't what I said...

If the bridle was attached on the ends to both sides of the boat, with the kellet or other weight hanging underneath, it would act like a moment arm, since rolling the boat either way would have to lift the weight and it would want to swing toward the tension side.

Back
Top Bottom