Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #21
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I like more information than a buzzer. This is in the sailboat, facing my head as I sleep. It can have any information I want on it: heading, location, wind speed or direction, even engine readings. It is backlit and dimmable at night, and has an alarm buzzer you can set for a variety of things. Most vendors have a similar display head.

I often set it to show wind speed, direction, heading, and depth. Sometimes DTW from the anchoring point. If the heading or wind has changed, then maybe the anchor needs to be checked as it will have veered or upset. If the wind it up maybe I should check. If my DTW to my original position is increasing, why?

Most the time, glance at it and go back to sleep. If you only have a buzzer, then you have no situational awareness.

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I didn't have the issue of generator noise so my solution of an amplified speaker was sufficient to wake me when the anchor alarm went off. Fortunately for us the alarms were all false and reflected spikes in the GPS readings. This happened about once in 40 days. Since our anchor alarm (Nobeltec MaxSea) recorded the boats actual movement the spikes were obvious as the boat moved and returned 200 feet in seconds.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #23

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
We have an alarm in the master It's a must
Great for normal anchoring.
But as the Captain you have to judge all factors into the situation.
Two years ago we (90 foot Westport McQueen) had to deak into Sturt bay on Texada Island.
Winds were 30 knots and we anchored across from the yacht club on a steep rock incline .
We were spilling our Martinis out there

Then probably a 150 feet off our ass
A sailboat just before dusk moved in behind us this left me mo room to move .
""Special"" smart people --True warriors with a death wish.

Winds were coming in strong and the rain was bouncing off the water.
I had to stay on the bridge and set tight range circles on the nav.
I got every thing ready.
Lots of Flashlights, wet gear and informed all we might have to move later on if needed.
I made sure that every thing was ready and told my brother how he would have to help me if things went bad .

Well they did.
Just before day break I could hear the anchor grinding on the rocks below (a big and heavy boy) The wind was up to 40 knots with higher gusts .
Then the anchor bounced and the boat moved 8 feet backwards .

Yup problems happening soon.
I fired up the engines and had every one instantly on the bridge and let them know what I wanted and what we were going to do .
I turned over the bridge to my brother and took my new LED flashlight to the front deck to watch the anchor come up and give direction of were we were to go .
First time in the pizzing rain that I learned LED does cut it .
Run for another flashlight.

Not nice on the bow with the rain and wind (to hell with rain gear).
Soon as we started to move every alarm went off .
I directed the boat across the bay and anchored 20 feet from the dock on the lea side wind side of the bay.

15 min later it was breaking daylight and we decided move out of the bay .
It was tight anyways for us.

The point of it anchor alarms are great and should be used.
But good seamanship and level heads will keep you alive

Wonder what happened to the sail boat after we took its wind break away.
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Well semi, this is the first drag, I have a danforth with about 4 spades and 300 of 1/2 high strength chain, therefore Im assuming operator error. There was a huge blob of mud and trash balled up on it.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #25
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I too have anchor pro. Love it. I'm now in the habit of setting it when I'm standing on the bow lowering the anchor, and can check at a glance where I am relative to that point from my bunk.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well semi, this is the first drag, I have a danforth with about 4 spades and 300 of 1/2 high strength chain, therefore Im assuming operator error. There was a huge blob of mud and trash balled up on it.
It is said every dog is entitled to one bite. Mud build up seems often implicated in failure. Some anchors are claimed to not attract a mud build up due to convex design.

A left field thought: if the drag alarm was taken to the bar, earlier in the evening, it might not come on as a surprise in the bedroom.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
We were spilling our Martinis out there

That is a crime against humanity.

Add: and if we are at all concerned about dragging we use the anchor watch on opencpn with a star trek red alert sound file

Our bedroom on the top deck is about six steps away from the helm station
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post

My high water alarm is a 3 inch fire bell. If I dont respond to that alarm, I have drown.

I thought I was the only one that doesnt want to drown in their sleep.....LOL....I have an 8" Fire bell on mine. It would wake the dead so even if I have drowned, it should arouse me.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #29
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
My wish is that anchor alarms be done more intelligently. I'm told Furuno is the only one that does this: the guard zone really should be a section of a piece of pie, like many radar guard zones are. This tells me if the anchor has dragged, and if we have swung, or overrun the anchor. All important in snotty conditions. The usual circle gives you little of this information. Come'on Raymarine, it's just a few lines of code.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #30
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
On a previous boat I had a 100db siren mounted at my head in my bunk. First time it went off I almost died. Damn that was loud. I ended up moving it a few feet.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Opencpn has a smart guard zone section drag Alarm and its free
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #32

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
iPhone anchor alarm

I use an app called "Anchor alarm for boaters" It works well and we have used it up in the Broughtons. It's very low power, lets out a screech when the radius is exceeded and it is inexpensive. We also leave the gps on at night with an anchor alarm. I like a belt and suspenders.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Airagone Strider
Vessel Model: Cal 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You could always get an anchor that doesn't drag.
Your boat is big enough to carry one.
Any anchor will drag under the wring combination of conditions.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #34
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I like more information than a buzzer. This is in the sailboat, facing my head as I sleep. It can have any information I want on it: heading, location, wind speed or direction, even engine readings. It is backlit and dimmable at night, and has an alarm buzzer you can set for a variety of things. Most vendors have a similar display head.

I often set it to show wind speed, direction, heading, and depth. Sometimes DTW from the anchoring point. If the heading or wind has changed, then maybe the anchor needs to be checked as it will have veered or upset. If the wind it up maybe I should check. If my DTW to my original position is increasing, why?

Most the time, glance at it and go back to sleep. If you only have a buzzer, then you have no situational awareness.

That makes a heck of a lot of sense
Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #35

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: PiraSea
Vessel Model: Meridian 368
I use the Garmin WiFi feature to connect to the Garmin app on my iPad. It provides full control and function of the Garmin chart plotter on the flybridge. So if the anchor alarm goes off, I can easily see if Im swinging due to a wind shift, or dragging.

I also set the Anchor app on my iPhone. Make sure to set the alarm radius larger than your swing. Also, remember to turn it off the app when you go Dinghy riding 🤣
jdt404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #36

Raymarine Axiom bluetoothed to Bose Revolve Speaker, set anchor drag and carry the speaker where needed.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Here is my solution, I put in a Maretron DSM410 and then a 9 LCD mirroring my TZT12 using hdmi over ethernet. Works brilliantly and looks great on the nightstand. Note that I havent built the teak surround for the 410 yet.
This way I can not only do anchor alarms but also things like SOC so I know when I need to stop sleeping in and turn on the Genset
AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CED6A047-66A1-4A64-BC20-97B2BA15F2FB.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	79346  
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #38
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Obviously some issue with mobile uploads as the picture is right side up in my phone, needless to say the stuff is mounted on the nightstand not the ceiling...
Old 08-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #39

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
+1 for buzzers. Our high water alarm and some others on the boat send a high pitch squeal. I have serious tinnitus that's actually louder and in the same frequency. Jan, "what is THAT noise?" Me, "yer kidding, right?"

We do use the new Garmin/Active Captain app on an Android fone. Pick up the Garmin wireless network on the fone and you have a choice of either helm or bridge screen to view. Set the anchor radius on the MFD and it shows on the fone. Not sure if the alarm rings on the fone. . . But, since the app gives total control over the MFD, we can switch on the radar, change screens, etc. from the Android.
Beats watching the news. . .

NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote