Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
My Kong failed, and so did my boat buddy's. Side loading badly bent them, to the point where they looked like they could easily have come apart on the next such occasion.

Both were attached directly to the anchor, which I now know was not a good thing - but that's how they seem to be intended. The excessive side-loading could have been avoided by a piece of chain between swivel and anchor - but why not a design that eliminates that need?

The Mantus I've been using for a few years now attaches with its built-in shackle, and is far less subject to side-loading problems.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
I maintained a hurricane type mooring for 15 years using three Danforth anchors, 3/8” chain, all connections made with galvanized shackles and closed eye swivels.
Lesson learned, don’t use china made shackles and swivels. Also use closed eye shackles not the pin type.
Moose the screw in shackle pins with monel or s/s wire

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
My Kong failed, and so did my boat buddy's. Side loading badly bent them, to the point where they looked like they could easily have come apart on the next such occasion.

Both were attached directly to the anchor, which I now know was not a good thing - but that's how they seem to be intended. The excessive side-loading could have been avoided by a piece of chain between swivel and anchor - but why not a design that eliminates that need?

The Mantus I've been using for a few years now attaches with its built-in shackle, and is far less subject to side-loading problems.
Seems like a fair point. Kong instructions do address that... but as you say, it just looks like they ought to be installed directly onto the anchor shank.

That Mantus swivel looks different; shape doesn't invite direct attachment. I'd guess intentional.

-Chris
Old 03-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #24

City: Park City
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
As sailors for many years and now the captain of a Fleming 55 I can say that we have had too many anchors arrive upside down. While not an issue in calm conditions it can add a challenge in a crowded anchorage with current and wind. I installed a Mantus last year and love it.

That said it is a must to be inspected after and before each deployment.
AnnapolisJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-148
Another vote for the Mantus Swivel.

I switched out a very good quality swivel for the Mantus when I changed from a Rocna to a Spade anchor. (The Spade had a thicker Shank and the old swivel would bind when side loaded.)

The Mantus is very robust and does not bind with side loads. By my reckoning it is NOT the weak link in my all chain 5/16" G4 HT chain.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denpooch View Post
I 'second' motion 30's comment. Mantus is the way to go.
Third the motion. It’s a great product.

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Going to go with mantus... though a good quality swivel 3 foot from the anchor could be an idea.... being set back might elevate some of the side pressure..?
Jason Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/anc...them-correctly

Some things to think about is side loading of swivels, they should have shackles on the ends. I am in favor of the simple figure 8 shaped galvanized swivel.

I do not have an anchor swivel but I also dont have a lot of chain in the water.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Spicer
Vessel Name: Rozinante
Vessel Model: Taswell 43
Multiple sources talk to added a few (4-12 links) between the anchor and the swivel. IF you put a good quality clevis on the anchor, then 4-12 links of chain, then the swivel, another good quality clevis (Crosby, etc), and then the rode....putting a side load on the swivel is near impossible. A side loading will kill a swivel....don't do it!
Boatcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Cruising Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Vingilot II
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 45 RPH
I’ve used the Ultra Marine Flip Swivel for over two years now. It is heavy duty and is designed to flip the anchor over to the correct orientation just before crossing over the anchor rollers. On our prior boat, we constantly had problems with anchor facing the wrong way. On the new (to us) DeFever with all chain, never have a problem. It is not cheap, but in my opinion, we’ll worth it.

https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/flip-swivel-hook

Cheers, Gary
GGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #31
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisJoy View Post
I can say that we have had too many anchors arrive upside down.
Are your chain rollers grooved to suit the chain?

We simply don't have the space for a swivel unless doing major modifications to the stainless steel setup up front.
Grooves in the rollers solved our problem and was done onboard with a 4 inch grinder.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #32

City: Park City
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Not a groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Are your chain rollers grooved to suit the chain?

We simply don't have the space for a swivel unless doing major modifications to the stainless steel setup up front.
Grooves in the rollers solved our problem and was done onboard with a 4 inch grinder.
Not really a groove but a wide roller with a smooth surface that is lower in the middle and has edges on each side to prevent the chain from slipping sideways. I will say at anchor in a breeze it moves a lot unless I adjust the bridle clamp below the water line. The Fleming windlass is about 8' off the water. It looks like you have the same distance.

BTW I also use the Mantus bridle. Super strong.
AnnapolisJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #33
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
An actual groove to match the chain makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisJoy View Post

BTW I also use the Mantus bridle. Super strong.
Nothing special about it.
According to their site its just 3 strand nylon the same as we use, cheap as if bought from a non mantus place

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-bridle/

$50 and an hour or two with a cold beer doing the splices and easily replaced every 18mths or so.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #34

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
Multiple sources talk to added a few (4-12 links) between the anchor and the swivel. IF you put a good quality clevis on the anchor, then 4-12 links of chain, then the swivel, another good quality clevis (Crosby, etc), and then the rode....putting a side load on the swivel is near impossible. A side loading will kill a swivel....don't do it!

We have done this as well. It also gives you the option of going up a size or two in chain and shackle for that short length, as most of the swivels will accept multiple chain sizes.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #35

City: Fawn Grove, PA
Vessel Name: Capt. Hyler
Vessel Model: Higgins Coastal Cargo Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Mantus
Stainless safety wire?
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #36
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Yep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67C28CF0-3B43-4898-A17F-CF59F36C9FE7.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	85976  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #37
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
The Mantus was the only robust solution I could find to the problem of the anchor coming up to the pulpit wrong way, no matter what I did with my all-chain rode to the anchor attachment point. Stronger than my chain.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #38
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Steele View Post
The mantis looks like it worth a shot. I like thee design. Not so worried about the cost I’d rather know the boat is safe.
Thanks for everyone’s input I really appreciate it.

Cheers
You may be disappointed with the Mantus if anchor orientation is the issue, as it was with us. Grooved roller - anchor came up backwards sometimes. Add swivel, like the Mantus, anchor came up backwards sometimes. Fiddle with the chain orientation, anchor came up backwards sometimes.

Add Ultra flip swivel and problem solved. Both the Mantus and the Ultra are stronger than the chain so no weak point there, but the Mantus isn't designed to orient the anchor right side up while the Ultra is. I believe Anchor Rite in Oz is now manufacturing a flip swivel as well that might be worth a look.

The other caution that the Ultra addresses and the Mantus might, but I don't know for sure it does, is that the strength tests are generally straight pull values. With a design like the Mantus (if I am understanding it correctly), a side pull may yield a very different strength value. The Ultra is more expensive in part because its strength test - verified independently - is based on side pulls, which it is designed to handle.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #39
Grand Vizier

One other bit of recommendation for the Ultra - when I bought mine initially I followed their recommendations. Subsequently, they starting recommending the next size up for my anchor size. Ultra swapped out a three year old swivel for new, one size larger without cost. I thought that was pretty impressive customer service.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Hi Delfin,

Maybe I'm missing something - I guess I don't understand why the Mantus design would have any trouble with a side pull. As in the photo in post #8, it attaches to the anchor with a robust built-in bow shackle. The chain could pull at 90 degrees to the anchor and the swivel would stay aligned with the chain while its shackle turns relative to the anchor shank.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote