Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
A big project, for me, going on!

A big project, for me, going on! I Purchased my boat with some water damage around the windows in the aft cabin. That has since been fixed. So today I rip out the teak. I do not plan to replace it would take. I am going to use live I Purchased my boat with some water damage around the windows in the aft cabin. That has since been fixed. So today I rip out the teak. I do not plan to replace it would take. I am going to use Luan and a removable wallpaper over it. That’s just in case I change my mind down the road. The aft cabin is very dark although it has many windows. Need to brighten it up a little bit and add some femininity. Many of you will disagree with this decision, but I’m hoping I will love it in the end. Totally making it my own, but what a mess!
Attached Thumbnails
2FF51E05-97BA-4752-AC40-083B71DDA049.jpg  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Guru

That is the best before picture I have. I’ll keep you updated on the progress.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
That is the best before picture I have. I’ll keep you updated on the progress.
Your right it is a big project. Thanks for letting us follow along. .
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Best of luck with your project. Are you planing on finishing the Luan before you wallpaper over it?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Best of luck with your project. Are you planing on finishing the Luan before you wallpaper over it?

Ted
No, I’ll be using a removable wallpaper which I have had great success with before.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I wish I was closer .I would go dumpster diving. I could do some patch work with the scrap.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. D. I suspect what Mr. OC may be alluding to when asking about finishing the Luan is the sealing aspect of the finsish. Meaning sealed Luan will be less likely to delaminate in the potential damp atmosphere aboard. A couple of coats of pretty well anything should do the trick particularly, the raw edges. Just a WAG on my part though...
Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
Guru

Thanks RTF! I’ll consider it.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I wish I was closer .I would go dumpster diving. I could do some patch work with the scrap.
I am not being careful with the rip out. I don’t think there will be anything usable. Most if not all of the back wall will remain.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. D. I suspect what Mr. OC may be alluding to when asking about finishing the Luan is the sealing aspect of the finsish. Meaning sealed Luan will be less likely to delaminate in the potential damp atmosphere aboard. A couple of coats of pretty well anything should do the trick particularly, the raw edges. Just a WAG on my part though...
A slick, smooth surface will probably also provide better adhesion for the paper.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

City: Pompano Beach, FL
I’m undertaking this on a mt44. Ripped out the rotted paneling (and luan the former owner placed over the rotted paneling) and replaced ply in the cabin sides. I still have one more wall to do before I reinstall luan and then the windows. All the built in furniture had to be ripped out for access.

If there are any brows over your windows make sure they have been rebedded or removed and the holes sealed. They were the primary leak on my boat that caused the windows to leak which caused the built ins to rot...

I’m still undecided on the finish for the walls. I’ve toyed with white panels from a box lumber yard, fabric, traditional hull-liner, paint. Etc. will procrastinate on deciding until April or May while I paint a car.

My partial demo attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	72359
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
A big project, for me, going on! I Purchased my boat with some water damage around the windows in the aft cabin. That has since been fixed. So today I rip out the teak. I do not plan to replace it would take. I am going to use live I Purchased my boat with some water damage around the windows in the aft cabin. That has since been fixed. So today I rip out the teak. I do not plan to replace it would take. I am going to use Luan and a removable wallpaper over it. That’s just in case I change my mind down the road. The aft cabin is very dark although it has many windows. Need to brighten it up a little bit and add some femininity. Many of you will disagree with this decision, but I’m hoping I will love it in the end. Totally making it my own, but what a mess!
By the way, on a previous boat, I replaced all of the interior facing with inexpensive 1/8" luan paneling that was very close to a teak/cherry color. I bought it at a local lumber place where I could select colors to match.

I first coated it with epoxy front, back and more importantly edges, for moisture protection. By the time I did that, and then put a coat or two of satin varnish on, it was a really nice color - close match to the teak trim pieces elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
duringwindows.jpg   finishednavoverall.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Wow! Your "before" picture looks like an "after" picture to me! It looks nice but I'm sure when it's done & everything is lighter ,that will look good too & you'll be happy.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Luan mahogany tends to pick up everything in the pores and should be sealed first or you'll never get the adhesive off the wood if you want to remove it later.

If it were me, I'd lay the sheets on a saw horse and varnish both sides and then cut them up as needed. It's quick to varnish a flat sheet out in the open compared to once it is mounted and wants to drip / run.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Luan mahogany tends to pick up everything in the pores and should be sealed first or you'll never get the adhesive off the wood if you want to remove it later.

If it were me, I'd lay the sheets on a saw horse and varnish both sides and then cut them up as needed. It's quick to varnish a flat sheet out in the open compared to once it is mounted and wants to drip / run.
Yep.
That's what I did above^
Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I love that you're going to brighten and lighten and make it yours. Get rid of the "looks like a lawyer's office" and add a "looks like a hot and fun woman". I've never understood why so many boats are so formal and dark. Yet, when people decorate waterfront homes they often go for beachy colors and looks and palm trees and blue water colors, making them tropical paradises. So, why not let the inside of a boat reflect a bit more what's outside it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Yes, sealing it to make it easier for wallpaper glue removal and prevent delamination potential.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Brightened up and replaced some damaged teak ply around my aft cabin windows. All leaks were addressed and any suspect wood replaced and coated with epoxy. Than I got some sapelle plywood from Lowes and contacted white matte formica on the face- treated the back and all edges with epoxy. Glued the new panel to the subframing with pl premium construction adhesive. Replaced the trim and it made a huge difference. Light bright clean and dry!!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #19
Guru

And so the fun begins.
Attached Thumbnails
2F93CF75-1805-4125-8170-898A85BD4DEC.jpeg  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #20
Guru

The paper I’m using is not a typical paper. It adheres to anything and comes of clean on everything. It is fairly new within the past few years. I used it in my galley and am quite pleased. I had to remove a piece for a thermostat installation and put a new piece up. It worked perfectly.