Anchor Chain Knotting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So does the cone help? And if so, where did you find a “hard” cone?

Maybe stop up the hole on the top, turn it over and fill with concrete. Viola! A non marring hard cone.

The above assumes a typical traffic cone.

Rob

Do you have swivel at the anchor? I recently changed my Britany anchor (like a Danforth) that had a swivel for a Rocna. The instructions with the Rocna said no need to use a swivel, so I didn't. The result chain getting twisted and doing what you describe. Put the swivel back end of problem.

I do have the problem of "coning" as well and need to kick the chain down from time to time. What I've found is that I can do this repeatedly until I have a short length out as the anchor is usually well dug in. Just before it comes to about 2x actual depth I make sure that the chain is well and truly flattened so I can pull the rest up. I had your problem of pulling the anchor out and the winch jamming with the anchor still in the water. It was a very crowded anchorage with buoys (see https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/cruising-guides/western-haven-newtown-solent-63843) and at low water. The challenges of sailing

But twisted chain is not the OP's problem. It is chain piling up in the chain locker - nothing whatsoever to do with twisted chain.

I used to stop retrieving my all chain rode every so often and with a chain hook holding the chain outboard of the windlass in place grab the chain where it went down the chain pipe into the chain locker. Then I lifted up several feet of it and yo-yo'd it up and down until I would hear the piled up chain tumble over. Then I continued retrieving.

rgano is perfectly correct, most people are missing the point totally -It has nothing to do with twisting chain, swivels, or taking the twist out.
The incoming chain will be straight after going over the capstan anyway. It's just piling up (castling) in the chain locker due to not enough fall; wrongly positioned hawse; or other reason as others have stated.
The cone will work if correctly positioned, mostly.

The problem of chain castling in the locker got me thinking. How about putting a small traffic cone in the bottom of the locker, so that all the chain would be directed to the outside? I haven't had this problem (yet) or tried the solution, just sharing the idea for critical comments.

This works if you have room. You might have to look for the right size. But letting the chain and anchor unwind the last 6' before you let it feed to the winch is required in my experience. You don't have to have a swivel (which I don't like) but you can only do this if the anchor will not hit the bow so you might have to move very slow while bringing the last bit up.

Our chain was quite rusted and when I replaced it with new chain, the pile-ups stopped because the new chain was "slipperier". Also, you could try end-for-ending your chain. The "upper end" is likely to be much less corroded. When you end-for-end it, the chain closest to the anchor will be "slipperier" and less likely to pile up. Since we replaced our chain six years ago, I have not had a pile up.

Try taking the boat into deeper water, let the chain out but don't let the anchor hit the bottom. Give the chain some time to untwist before hauling it in. See if that will fix your knotting problem.

+2

Being new to the boat I need to do some homework. We only get to her about once a month. So need to reel 100% of the chain out (checking the bitter end 1st) in deep water, inspect the empty locker, see if it "unrolls a bit" and bring it back in while watching it load the locker from the inside access port.
Then when on the hard this winter I will pull it all out again & inspect/clean as needed. Fresh chain may be necessary.
I never thought this challenge would be so common!
Thanks, D

Try taking the boat into deeper water, let the chain out but don't let the anchor hit the bottom. Give the chain some time to untwist before hauling it in. See if that will fix your knotting problem.
Be very careful if you do this. I know someone who did this mid ocean and the windlass wouldn't handle trying to haul up 300ft of chain and the anchor. He then managed to burn out the windlass trying. Then he had to cut it free as he wasn't up to pulling 600lbs by hand.

More valuable advice. Thanks

One of our annual spring rituals is to pull the chain out on the dock, check and replace zap straps that we use for marking length and clean the chain locker. One of the easier boat tasks: 1 to 2 hours. Then you will "know" your chain.

Back
Top Bottom