Ammarine 404 John Deere 6404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doktorglory

Vessel Name
Providence
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic 1974
I am trying to adjust the valves on the counter rotating 6404 in my 77 GB. The manuals from the "MV Dreamer" site have hand writing some of which I think is incorrect. My question is how does one determine if the opposite rotation engine (starboard) is at TDC1 vs TDC6. The instructions in the Ammarine 404 manual only speak to TDC1 in the conventionally rotating engine. I am going to pull the access plate on the injection pump and line TDC with that on the flywheel as I think that is one way of getting to TDC1 on that engine. I do not think the TDC1 description for the Exhaust valves on 2 and 5 apply to the opposite rotating engine. If anyone has unmarred manuals Id sure like a copy.

Anyone care to share their experience with this. I also note the JDE-81 tool does not work in this application as the bell housing prevents its engagement contrary to the manual. So glad I bought one :(

Also can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy valve cover gaskets?

Thanks

Bill

#1 and #6 are at tdc at the same time. Pistons move in pairs. 2 and 5 are a pair. 3 and 4 are a pair.

Handy way to do this: ID the exhaust valves. Rotate engine in ITS normal direction and watch the exhaust valves. One or two will be open. Keep rotating til that exhaust valve starts to close. Rotate a bit more and you see the same cylinders intake valve just begin to open as the exhaust valve is nearly closed or closed. Stop rotating. ID the cylinder. It is at tdc with valves in overlap (not firing). Now go to its pair (3 for 4, 2 for 5, 5 for 2, 1 for 6 etc). The one of the pair NOT in overlap is firing tdc, and a good spot for valve adjustment. Keep doing it til all have been adjusted. It's 120deg between firing tdc's, so it takes about two full turns.

Probably can get gaskets from a tractor shop.

The Stbd / Counter rotating engine can be brought to TDC 1 by aligning the TDC on the flywheel and the TDC on the injection pump. The Ammarine 404 manual does not explain this. It only tells you how to find TDC 1 on the left rotating engine. It can be very awkward to see TDC on the flywheel of the stbd engine as in my case there is a lot of heat ducting. That said if you lean over the engine you can take photos of it with your cell phone and line it up properly. Once aligned I marked it on the crankshaft pulley so It wont be quite as tedious next time. The valve adjust sequence and firing order are different on the counter rotating engine but diagramed in the Ammarine 404 manual.

I would like to acquire an unblemished copy of the Ammarine 404 manual. Somebody has to have one out there. Im aware of the one on the MV Dreamer site but that has some hand writing in it that if find confusing.

Im delighted to say/brag that my engine's run markedly better after the valve adjust which retrospectively was woefully needed and neglected for some time.

If anyone has an unblemished/not written in copy of the Ammarine 404 manual Please contact me by email. I would be happy to pay you for it or pay to have it copied or whatever.

Thank:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom