American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engine, generator and water maker are in the hull!
The floors will be installed next and the 3/8" thick solid Sapele flooring laid out.
We are not far from the joining of hull and deck!!!
It is all moving along nicely now, I'm beginning to get excited...
The picture of the Sapele sole is a sister ship, I love the look of the solid, no maple sole.
Bruce

Really looking good. It looks like there is lots of room over your motor so I am just wondering why you did not go with a high riser on the exhaust?

Really looking good. It looks like there is lots of room over your motor so I am just wondering why you did not go with a high riser on the exhaust?

I had nothing to do with the decision.
That riser is much higher than you think though. I've been aboard a sister ship and it appears to be high enough to me. I have also never heard of an issue with an American Tug exhaust system causing a turbo issue. They have been building these for 17 years now. I'm comfortable with this decision.
Bruce

I had nothing to do with the decision.
That riser is much higher than you think though. I've been aboard a sister ship and it appears to be high enough to me. I have also never heard of an issue with an American Tug exhaust system causing a turbo issue. They have been building these for 17 years now. I'm comfortable with this decision.
Bruce

You are most likely right. Its hard to tell from the picture the actual heights, but if you should have any doubts some good pictures e-mailed to Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine would be definitive. The reason why I brought up the issue is that many builders some of good reputation just use the set up that comes with the engine rather than opting for the optional high rise or a custom unit. I certainly cant predict with any accuracy if yours will be a problem but Tony could.

I've been in contact with Tony. I decided that before we went down the road of this boat it would be beneficial to have "another viewpoint".
He has raised concerns where he sees them and I investigate.
It has been an interesting little lesson in perspectives...
He wondered about the riser (that is essentially a non event in the realm of Tony response levels!) but I have investigated on my own and again, I believe we are more than fine.
Bruce

I've been in contact with Tony. I decided that before we went down the road of this boat it would be beneficial to have "another viewpoint".
He wondered about the riser (that is essentially a non event in the realm of Tony response levels!) but I have investigated on my own and again, I believe we are more than fine.
Bruce

My impression from reading many of Tony's posts on boat diesel and his writings on his website is that stock exhaust systems and filtration systems are never adequate. Not surprising considering that he makes his living repairing problems. When you see nothing but problems it tends to raise your concern.

My impression from reading many of Tony's posts on boat diesel and his writings on his website is that stock exhaust systems and filtration systems are never adequate. Not surprising considering that he makes his living repairing problems. When you see nothing but problems it tends to raise your concern.

That was an affliction I had when I ran my auto repair/maintenance business. I understand how it happens!
Bruce

That was an affliction I had when I ran my auto repair/maintenance business. I understand how it happens!

Bruce

Yup, I face the same thing with eye care.

Btw, what fuel filtration setup does AT use?

Yup, I face the same thing with eye care.

Btw, what fuel filtration setup does AT use?

A pair of Racor filters that appear to be of the Max Turbine type. It is 2 separate filters with a manifold so that you can switch on the fly. We have selected the remote vacuum gauge option. That gauge will be installed somewhere at the helm...

Bruce

Exhaust Design

Bruce,

Actually, when I saw this pic a few days ago, I sent to a friend titled "maybe another one doomed to failure"...................Look at my sketch and fill in the blanks. You may want to add in some other relationships too -- All in relation to the LWL, which BTW, that always get way worse when at anchor with the boat pumping water up & down.....Also, where in the final exit for the exhaust..........................................

Then ask yourself and think "gravity" the entire time..

Tony

Attachments

• Exhaust Design.jpg
    Exhaust Design.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Your Exhaust Design Layout.png
    Your Exhaust Design Layout.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 200
Bruce,

Actually, when I saw this pic a few days ago, I sent to a friend titled "maybe another one doomed to failure"...................Look at my sketch and fill in the blanks. You may want to add in some other relationships too -- All in relation to the LWL, which BTW, that always get way worse when at anchor with the boat pumping water up & down.....Also, where in the final exit for the exhaust..........................................

Tony

As I said, you have made this point before and I've gone aboard a sister ship and measured.
I guess it is difficult to see from these pictures.
I'm sure it is fine.
Bruce

Exhaust design

Of course you want to believe it's ok...........But, I will leave you with this..

Look at this relatively new $2M+ boat --

Our Fleet of Paddle Wheelers & Lake Yacht | Zephyr Cove Resort & Lake Tahoe Cruises

New 6.7 and has exhaust system close to exactly like yours as to it's layout with the exact same relative LWL to spill over point issues/concerns.... This boat is less than a few months old and they knew something was wrong.. Guess what? Water in the turbo and engine hydrauliced...

We are redesigning the builders "approved system " ...To say the least, the lawyers are having a field day & everybody is pointing fingers.. Seems the word "gravity" was never though of in the design.........

Your call from here as to looking into the measurements I asked about and not just going on "Faith" as this owner did, and so many other have done in the past..

Tony

Attachments

• New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (1).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (1).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 100
  • New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (2).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (2).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 109
  • New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (3).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (3).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 108
  • New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (4).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (4).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 115
  • New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (5).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (5).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 116
  • New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (6).jpg
    New 6.7 in Brand new Boat (6).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 122
I was looking at the photo that Bruce posted and was having a hard time judging the height difference between the water injection and the spill over from the muffler. Tough to tell. I also don't have any frame of reference as to where the water line is. That is actually something that I don't know on my own boat. When I am in the ER I don't know where the water line is. I need to see if I can figure that out then provide a mark on the inside of the ER.

Bruce
I feel better knowing you are well aware of the issues and have worked them out. I did not want to see such a nice project marred by a little thing like the height of an exhaust riser which from the one picture I saw raised my concern. I have lost two engines on my previous boat due to that little problem.

Last edited:
I feel better knowing you are well aware of the issues and have worked them out. I did not want to see such a nice project marred by a little thing like the height of an exhaust riser which from the one picture I saw raised my concern. I have lost two engines on my previous boat due to that little problem.
I just found two pictures of my new exhaust SX the short risers are what came with the motor the elevated custom riser on the port engine is what I now have. It is hard to get the scale from the picture but the riser comes above the engine top and well above the WL.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 99
Bruce,

Tony

Idel exhaust to flapper above the water line.

A big day in any boats life

Hull and deck are almost married.
She's beginning to look like a proper little tug/trawler kind of boat...
Really exciting to see it happening!
Bruce

Attachments

• 2b284686f5a9e51542b233577c88929791142458.jpg
    2b284686f5a9e51542b233577c88929791142458.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ba20080894f07f985f66fabddfa83baa39f22e26.jpg
    ba20080894f07f985f66fabddfa83baa39f22e26.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 128
I also like the color.
Looks like in the bottom pic of #167 the hull has actually been in the water. And the lines of the hull look better in that pic than they usually do.

I also like the color.
Looks like in the bottom pic of #167 the hull has actually been in the water. And the lines of the hull look better in that pic than they usually do.

The hull appears to be getting sanded in preparation for bottom paint (red).
They have taped off the boot stripe and started sanding that area in preparation for the Awlgrip paint (white).

As for the lines in the hull, they do look better. I am always amazed at how color impacts design elements...
Bruce

Love the color! Very exciting.

Hull and deck are almost married.
She's beginning to look like a proper little tug/trawler kind of boat...
Really exciting to see it happening!
Bruce

Hey Bruce and a Happy New Year!

wow now really starts to show real pleasure tug. I don't say trawler because the issue is a hot potato forum:ermm:.

great you have taken too stern duster, you will enjoy the doging your boat, it is so easy. :whistling:

The color is fine, you wondered what color you are using underwater paint?

Hey Bruce and a Happy New Year!

wow now really starts to show real pleasure tug. I don't say trawler because the issue is a hot potato forum:ermm:.

great you have taken too stern duster, you will enjoy the doging your boat, it is so easy. :whistling:

The color is fine, you wondered what color you are using underwater paint?

Two posts up!
Red for the bottom...white boot.
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom