American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a different note...

Our lovely Sabre sailed away this week, now in the possession of the dealer as a trade in. The delivery crew showed up to take her to Maine. It was a sad day! My wife had a particularly difficult time watching. It is actually the only time I have ever seen her under sail from anywhere other onboard!

She was a great boat for us...

Bruce

Esmeralde is the boat closest to the gong...

The prettiest thing in that picture has strips.

IMG_1476880393.635839.jpg
Earlier posts talked about what kind of surround sound to install.
This is a fully functional surround sound system.

We've never been there. Not yet anyway...
We will take delivery at the factory for a shakedown cruise. Can't wait!
Bruce

Alaska is about the right distance and time for a shakedown... Take advantage while your here..

Alaska is about the right distance and time for a shakedown... Take advantage while your here..

We will be too early in the season for Alaska.
We may leave the boat there after the shakedown cruise and come back in the summer for an Alaska cruise or we may simply want it home! We will figure it out as we go.
Bruce

Great color choices! Would you call that seafoam green?

Great color choices! Would you call that seafoam green?

The Awlgrip equivalent is called Sea Shell green, number H4368.
It is a color "created" by/for the Shelter Island Runabout. We fell in love with it the first time we saw it on a boat.
Bruce

I work very near La Connor. Think I may have to take a look!

That image you painted of me, feet in the air is hilarious...
It's funny what a different perspective can show you.
White bilge is awesome!
Many thanks,
Bruce

Nothing beats white bilges. Reflects light, shows leaks better, and it's easy to know when it's time to do some cleaning.

Ted

We will be too early in the season for Alaska.
We may leave the boat there after the shakedown cruise and come back in the summer for an Alaska cruise or we may simply want it home! We will figure it out as we go.
Bruce

Best weather in SE is May and June

Best weather in SE is May and June

The boat is scheduled for late March completion (Boat building schedules being what they are..,)
We are going to combine the delivery of our new Tug with a trip around the USA in our Bambi Airstream. We will head south to Florida before turning west toward California and then north to the Pacific NW, likely getting to La Conner as they are finishing up the boat. We will be cruising both by land and sea.
If the production schedule slips, we will simply explore by land. If it somehow moves forward, we will be able to match it.
Beyond having some campsite reservations in Florida in February we have no set plans. We will simply do what seems interesting...
The only question is when the boat will be shipped home. Beyond that almost anything might be possible.
Bruce

It's not a boat but it sure can be fun!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 105
Again, it isn't boating...but it's not bad!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 93
You have an opportunity to do some great things upon delivery. Alaska would not be my shakedown cruise. It would just be in the PNW and then I'd be right back to get every issue I ran across fixed. Not to wait. Then you could go to Alaska. We spent two months cruising Alaska as we figured we were there and it might be years before we made it back, if ever. For someone who likes to explore by land and sea, Alaska is a dream come true. It's so unique among places you'll cruise.

Wifey B: You could always take the boat home by water.....:rofl::hide:

You have an opportunity to do some great things upon delivery. Alaska would not be my shakedown cruise. It would just be in the PNW and then I'd be right back to get every issue I ran across fixed. Not to wait. Then you could go to Alaska. We spent two months cruising Alaska as we figured we were there and it might be years before we made it back, if ever. For someone who likes to explore by land and sea, Alaska is a dream come true. It's so unique among places you'll cruise.

Wifey B: You could always take the boat home by water.....:rofl::hide:

You described our likely agenda better than I apparently did...
The shakedown will be the San Juan islands and surrounding area. Then back to the factory and from there? We will see...

I'm not sure we are up to a boat trip home from Washington State though.
It's been done before when three American Tug 34's did the trip from La Conner down the coast, through the Panama Canal and then up to Florida...

Whatever we decide, we will have fun. That's the number one rule!
Bruce

I just wouldn't ship it home without a little Alaska. The timing of your delivery is actually great in giving you time and not rushing you and still making summer cruising possible there. Now, you may have been to Alaska or may prefer exploring it by vehicle. We'd never been and don't do exploring by land.

Just a little more...
They have warned me that there will not be much activity for the next few weeks as employees tend to other projects.
The engine is the next big chunk to be installed. It should be there around Thanksgiving. It is fun to get the pictures though. I wouldn't mind if they send us pictures even if nothing much is happening...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 194
As we wait for the engine to get here (480 hp Cummins 6.7) there is not a lot of activity. It is due at the factory around Thanksgiving.
At that time there will be more people available to work on the project as they free up from a boat on the line in front of ours.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 134
A few more little projects happening during the lull...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 119
Not sure if anyone is actually interested in seeing progress of the boat as it is built but I will continue to post pictures as they become available.
I learned today that the engine will in fact be delivered to Tomco in the week after Thanksgiving. This is all exciting for us...
The idea that this boat will be ours is surreal!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 121
Greetings,
Mr. B. Please, please keep posting. VERY interesting and labor pains are best shared...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. b. Please, please keep posting. VERY interesting.

Well, we find it interesting and I hope some people here do too.
This is the first boat we will have in a long time that I have to study to understand the systems on...
Thank you,
Bruce

Super interesting being able to watch the build. Keep the pics coming.

Bruce,

Lookin' Really Good..............

Glad you are taking lots of pics along the way...That will pay major dividends years from now.

Tony

Great stuff, Bruce. Very excited for you and enjoying the build vicariously. Don't stop now....you're under contract and we (your imaginary friends of TF) are right there behind you. We're all looking forward to our first ride in your new boat! I'll bring some IPA.

Bruce,

Lookin' Really Good..............

Glad you are taking lots of pics along the way...That will pay major dividends years from now.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
We have a ton of pictures of the build of the last boat and as usual, you are correct! The pics show what can't easily be seen once it is all together. Every time I begin a "project" I first go to the pictures to see what might be learned.
It is a big help!
Bruce

Great stuff, Bruce. Very excited for you and enjoying the build vicariously. Don't stop now....you're under contract and we (your imaginary friends of TF) are right there behind you. We're all looking forward to our first ride in your new boat! I'll bring some IPA.

You're on! The boat should be finished in late March. We will be in La Conner to take delivery and anyone who would like to see it should let us know.
Who doesn't like showing off their boat???
As to imaginary friends, this place is a lot of fun and both my wife and I appreciate the "friendship" for what it is...
Many thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing...keep it up!

We would enjoy meeting you and seeing your new boat when the time comes. La Connor is just a couple of hours by car or boat for us.

If you haven't already, I recommend a Wagonners Cruising Guide to give you a taste of what is ahead. You can download a copy free if you wish. We like the spiral-bound version as it lays flat on my navigation (ok...everything) table.

If I can be of any assistance please reach out.

Cheers,

Jeff

Keep em coming, please!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom