Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

City: Belfair Wa
American Tug 34

My wife and I are looking at trawlers for the future. I really like the AMT 34. I would like to talk with an owner of one who lives in the PNW. Want to understand first hand the positive and negative of these great looking trawlers.
Thanks
Pete
Uboatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bruce B and wife can tell you how it has gone with purchasing a new AT 395. The 34 also looks like a nice boat and would be similar in many respects.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great Laker has an AT34 in Michigan. Here's his blog, last updated a few years ago.

Adventures of Great Laker

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney
Here are a bunch of links to chase, most right here on TF and as usual you may need a pair of boots to wade through some of the crap. In it all though, there are some years past owners who, if you can track them down, might tend to give honest assessments.

Owners group. Don’t know how active.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATUGOA/info

There is another but they are just snooty enough to not allow non owners in.
https://www.bigtent.com/groups/atugoa

From TF
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s17/experience-american-tugs-10785.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s17/34-launch-15872.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s17/nordic-tug-37-vs-american-tug-34-a-7159.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/salish-lady-emerges-plant-15000.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/nordic-tug-vs-american-tug-18894.html

You said PNW.
There is a 34 and a 395 at Canmar in Richmond BC.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/pl_search_results.jsp?ywo=canmar&ps=50&type=&is=fa lse&luom=126&hosturl=canmar&page=broker&slim=broke r&lineonly
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
Guru

Hi Pete,
We have just taken delivery of our new American Tug 395. The 395 is literally a 34/365 with 3 additional feet of length in the hull.
Of course, we have lots to say about American Tug, their boats and our build, if you have not seen it, you can find our story here. https://brucebeard.com

My suggestion to you would be to find your way to one of their open house events. There you will find either Mike or Kurt who will answer many of your questions. They are each owners in the company and are simply great. There is fascinating history to the company and their boats, hearing it from the people who created it is not to be missed.

You will quickly see the great pride they take in building their tugs, this company is clearly a labor of love. We also appreciate that so much of the boat is built right at the factory too. From hull and deck molds to cabinetry it is all done on site.

In spite of the "snooty" label given to the closed owners group, I have yet to meet a snooty American Tug owner. I believe that the group is closed in an attempt to keep the site pure to its intended purpose, that being a gathering place for owners...

I have no idea where you are in the process of looking for a boat but if you would like to see some of the boats and meet some owners, there will be a Rendezvous in Anacortes at Cap Sante Marina from September 21 through September 24th. I am told that the 24th is also the start of a rather large motorcycle event in town so perhaps the earlier days would be easier to attend.

Have fun looking and let us know if you decide to pursue...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1099.jpg  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B;
I am told that the 24th is also the start of a rather large motorcycle event in town so perhaps the earlier days would be easier to attend.
One might be missing half the fun if you didn't take in both.

https://youtu.be/mrq03vkEriM
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Bruce...I'm sure you've got enough positive comments on the new AT to last a lifetime, but the style of the boat with that gorgeous hull color....well, it would be difficult to produce a more attractive balance to my eye, even in a custom yacht. Sometimes you see one of those boats that provokes an impulsive, involuntary grunt from down deep.....know what I mean? She's a dreamboat. Sure hope she turns out to be that way through and through.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Bruce...I'm sure you've got enough positive comments on the new AT to last a lifetime, but the style of the boat with that gorgeous hull color....well, it would be difficult to produce a more attractive balance to my eye, even in a custom yacht. Sometimes you see one of those boats that provokes an impulsive, involuntary grunt from down deep.....know what I mean? She's a dreamboat. Sure hope she turns out to be that way through and through.
We do get a lot of comments about the color. People seem to like it, except for one of our best friends Gary. He believes that all boats should be white!
Gary doesn't like the color...
We really do love the color and for that matter we love the entire boat.
Thanks for the compliment.
Bruce
Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
We do get a lot of comments about the color. People seem to like it, except for one of our best friends Gary. He believes that all boats should be white!
Gary doesn't like the color...
We really do love the color and for that matter we love the entire boat.
Thanks for the compliment.
Bruce
I generally don't like green as a color. However, I think the shade on your boat applied to that boat is perfect. I can't imagine anything better now, having viewed it. It really accentuates the beauty of the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I generally don't like green as a color. However, I think the shade on your boat applied to that boat is perfect. I can't imagine anything better now, having viewed it. It really accentuates the beauty of the boat.
Interesting story about this color. We first saw it on a Shelter Island Runabout 38 built by CH Marine. We loved it at first glance and always knew that it would be high on our list if we ever had a choice in boat color.
I remember asking about the color at a boat show and being told that the color was an Awlgrip color called Seashell Green that was mixed only for CH Marine.
A few years went by and we began seeing other boats in what appeared to be the color. Then Sabre offered what was obviously the same color in gelcoat, they called it Wasabi.

We were not in the market for a boat then so the subject kind of fell off of our radar for a number of years until we began thinking about our American Tug. As Tomco will happily use whatever color you like, we had opportunity to think about the Seashell color again. I placed a call to CM Marine just to see what the story was and the person I spoke to told me that in fact, the color was supposed to be a proprietary mix but that people had given out the code and that it was readily available. He gave me permission to use the color and thanked me for even asking! He even gave me what he believed to be the Cook Composite gelcoat code, later verified by Sabre that we used to make our boat with.

The Shelter Island Runabout 38 is a very good looking boat that I'd love to have.
One boat at a time though...

Bruce

38 Foot Custom Teak Yachts | CH Marine Shelter Island New York | Billy Joel Yacht
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Interesting story about this color. We first saw it on a Shelter Island Runabout 38 built by CH Marine. We loved it at first glance and always knew that it would be high on our list if we ever had a choice in boat color.
I remember asking about the color at a boat show and being told that the color was an Awlgrip color called Seashell Green that was mixed only for CH Marine.
A few years went by and we began seeing other boats in what appeared to be the color. Then Sabre offered what was obviously the same color in gelcoat, they called it Wasabi.

We were not in the market for a boat then so the subject kind of fell off of our radar for a number of years until we began thinking about our American Tug. As Tomco will happily use whatever color you like, we had opportunity to think about the Seashell color again. I placed a call to CM Marine just to see what the story was and the person I spoke to told me that in fact, the color was supposed to be a proprietary mix but that people had given out the code and that it was readily available. He gave me permission to use the color and thanked me for even asking! He even gave me what he believed to be the Cook Composite gelcoat code, later verified by Sabre that we used to make our boat with.

The Shelter Island Runabout 38 is a very good looking boat that I'd love to have.
One boat at a time though...

Bruce

38 Foot Custom Teak Yachts | CH Marine Shelter Island New York | Billy Joel Yacht
I like it much better on your boat than a light color like that on the runabout. I think a runabout needs bolder. Yours is calming beauty.

I think certain colors fit certain boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #12

City: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Vessel Name: Stout
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
AT-34 owner

Hi Pete, We have had our AT-34 since 2015 here on the Columbia River. We have taken it up river from Portland to Richland WA through the locks and down river to Astoria. Last year we took it from Portland, over the Columbia Bar up as far as Princess Louisa Inlet in B.C. and back. It has be a great couples boat and relatively trouble free with no major issues. If you want more info PM me and I will try to answer any questions.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pete,

You might want to talk to Steve Scruggs at the factory in La Connor. He handles sales for the west coast and usually has some AT's for sale. He is knowledgeable and not a high pressure sales guy. I think he may also be able to arrange a charter on an American Tug for you to try one out.

We had a 2007 41AT and a 2015 36AT. Currently, have a 2016 435AT. All have been wonderful boats. I have looked at a lot of other boats and we came back to a new America Tug in 2016. The fit and finish and the value is incomparable, in my opinion.

Incidentally, our other AT's had a navy blue hull. Our new boat has a Fighting Lady Yellow hull color. I like Bruce's green, too. Another friend chose a grey hull color that is very nice.

Tom Law
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #14

City: Belfair Wa
Very beautiful boat. Could not afford that, but a 34 may be just right.

Thanks
Pete
Uboatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #15

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Tlaw7
Looks great in yellow
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
M/V Stout: I think I saw you out on the Multnomah Channel earlier today... I was in the C-Dory cruiser.

The AT is a beautiful boat! We are looking at moving up to an American or a Nordic this spring
Timeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I have a 34, picture on the left. I am ready to go if someone will come and untie my aft starboard line, coil it and hang it on the hook. You are free to stay on board or you can jump ship. I have about 400 gallons fuel and food onboard for a week, if you are not particular. Ah, I do have a water maker too.
Where do you want to go?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #18

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
As FlyWright mentioned above, we own an AT 34 (now called 365) and home port on Lake Michigan. We bought it in 2011, ran the Great Loop over 2012 to 2014, and have cruised the Great Lakes extensively since.

On the great loop we lived aboard 305 days and traveled almost 7,000 miles, and encountered just about every condition you can imagine. The Great Lakes, the Illinois, Mississippi. Kentucky, Tennessee and Tom Bigbee Rivers, The Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, and Inter-coastal Waterway, The Atlantic, Hudson River, St. Lawrence Seaway, and the Canadian Canals and Georgian Bay provided an incredible variety of challenges and rewards.

I can say without hesitation that the AT 34 has been for us the perfect boat. The layout is great for a couple, the quality and reliability is high, it is safe and economical, etc. I would be pleased to speak with you more here on the forum or by email or phone.

Every time I see Great Laker I smile. This boat chose me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140625_201647_304 B.jpg  
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
As FlyWright mentioned above, we own an AT 34 (now called 365)
Aint life great? We all got 2 ft for free!!!
Don't tell the government. They will want to charge us for it.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #20

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
I'll have to echo what other owners have said. We bought our gently used blue hull AT 435 in early 2017 and could not be happier with this decision. Its been a rush being fairly new to boating but every time we learn something new about the boat, we generally find ourselves saying "So glad Tomco marine built it this way!"
I agree the broker there Steve Scruggs is a great resource, just be aware he sold a bunch of them within the last 12 months so there is not a lot of inventory, they're in pretty high demand...
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote