American Practical Navigator (Bowditch)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerSailor

Vessel Name
-
Vessel Make
In Progress
I am new to the forum and newbie to the idea of owning a boat, but this week while doing some research I ran across this link to the American Practical Navigator (Bowditch) that I have a hard copy of and was surprised to see this digitized.

Here is the link for anyone that interested.

American Practical Navigator

Enjoy.

Bowditch is probably the hardest way to learn navigation.

I think it was written for the Cadets at Canoe U , intentionally to be a hard course.

That's the navigation "Bible."

Yes, it's far too advanced for most people today, with the easy availability of electronic navigation. But if you're really into that sort of thing, and want to truly understand the nuances of navigation, leaning "old school" navigation is a great way to start.

The other "Bible," more at general boating knowledge than navigation, is Chapman's. That's the one I'd recommend for beginners. You don't read it like a novel. It's more of a reference, or a coffee-table book you pick up and thumb through, looking for interesting tidbits. It's also the ultimate arbiter of all bets of a nautical nature.

Last edited:
Chapman's is the way to go. In fact an actual Coast Guard safety inspection calls for the "Rules and Regulations" of boating to be available on the boat. Flashing a Chapman's fulfills that requirement.

I think I have three or maybe four on my bookshelf at home. They are always changing, adding things like pod drives , FLIR, side scan sonar, etc. Buying one every ten or so years is satisfactory.

pete

Chapman's is the way to go. In fact an actual Coast Guard safety inspection calls for the "Rules and Regulations" of boating to be available on the boat. Flashing a Chapman's fulfills that requirement.

While I agree with having a Chapman's on board, I've never heard that it would meet the carriage requirements for NavRules. Or is there a version with an appendix of NavRules or something? My copy is at the boat, so I can't check right now...

If you want classes look up your local US power Squadron. They have good classes on many boating topics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom