Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Flitz always brings a smile to my face. I can imagine a German momma with a lisp calling her son in for dinner...Flitz, Flitz komm doch bitte mal heirer...
You're a doofus!!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #22

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ahhhh.....I thought this was going to be about eastern Europeans...

Thank you, Mr. Firefly! It is rare that I actually guffaw whilst reading this forum.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Practical Sailor did a series of tests that included Poli-Glow, they rated it highly.

It was the top performer on the long term (3 year) test. No issues with yellowing or flaking and they did not renew it yearly as instructed.

Lot of myths floating around the interweb, RV'ers use it and really like the easy and lasting shine.

The yellowing was years ago and it now has a reformulated UV package not found in other acrylic products.
I've read the same. I'm moving ahead with it on the superstructure this year waiting for the next haul to do the hull since I've already waxed it.
Thanks to all for input - both informative and hilarious!
I don't know vat I vas sinking!
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #25

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
The hull on this old girl is in very good shape, but of course being new to me I must make it better. Soon I will start in on it, beginning with a light polish with Finesse-it II - I don't think it needs a more intense compounding. Then I will finish with one of the acrylic coatings discussed above. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with chalking.

Then paint the deck!

Question - the small swim platform was made by the PO, seemingly of cedar. Quite faded now. I would like to stain and protect it - any suggestions? Of course don't want it to be too slippy!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The hull on this old girl is in very good shape, but of course being new to me I must make it better. Soon I will start in on it, beginning with a light polish with Finesse-it II - I don't think it needs a more intense compounding. Then I will finish with one of the acrylic coatings discussed above. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with chalking.

Then paint the deck!

Question - the small swim platform was made by the PO, seemingly of cedar. Quite faded now. I would like to stain and protect it - any suggestions? Of course don't want it to be too slippy!
Be careful of applying an acrylic over anything else protecting the hull. What I've read indicates that the yellowing everyone complains about is caused by not having a "virgin" surface before applying the acrylic.

I'm not familiar with cedar protection, hopefully someone else will chime in...

Paul
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My though is, if Poli-Glow or any of these other "miracle products" did what they claim to do, waxes and other similar polishes as well as professional detailers would be a thing of the past. So far, they are not.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My though is, if Poli-Glow or any of these other "miracle products" did what they claim to do, waxes and other similar polishes as well as professional detailers would be a thing of the past. So far, they are not.

Or.... detailers don't like them as they are so easy and last so long that they would be very short of work if widely used, just another thought.

Some fairly extensive tests have been done with them by reputable publications say you may be wrong.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
All I can comment on is what I have seen first hand over the past few years and what has been told me by others I trust with direct experience. I haven't seen any RV's that sit in and travel through salt water, nor have the exposure to sun and elements that most boats do. I stopped paying much attention to Practical Sailor about 4 years ago; some of their test routines on electronics were simply not valid, among other things. Their decreasing number of publications and circulation speaks to that. I'd rather trust real world cruisers and serious salt water fisherman and my own experience. Of course if you are on a fresh water lake and/or in a covered slip and/or don't get away from the dock much, you have different requirements, and that's OK.

Detailers do like Rejex and its cohorts because it applies well, the boat looks good and the owner is not griping for a make-good every few months. And yes, they have impacted traditional wax sales.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote