Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
I never tell any shop that it is for a boat. just say this is the dimension and type of glass I want, They don't care what you are using it for.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
In another window thread, I saw prices for window replacement. Now I have 9 windows I’m replacing ONLY the glass. I took them out with a boat buddy and plan on reinstalling them with my boat buddy. Replacing all the fuzzy stuff, yes getting technical now, lol. This is actually an easy job.

So, the prices I have been getting just for cutting grey lite 14 are....3 grand in St. Augustine and 2 grand in Daytona. Now this is just for the glass and cutting. I brought the old windows to them. On top of this they want to charge me a template fee. Really? I gave them the windows. Isn’t that enough of a template?

I need help here. I feel like I’m getting ripped off and with that kind of money I would expect an installation. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions on who you may have used between Jax and Daytona? I’m right in the middle of both cities.
I replaced 3 windows this year. One windshield, one a head slider and the last a hatch. Total price for safety glass, laminated, was under $200 Canadian, (so almost free when you do the exchange). Tempered would be more of course, but never as miuch as you were quoted.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Here
Doubt very much that anyone got tempered glass for $80 in Canadian dollarettes, (unless they were tiny and square) that's $58US. I was just quoted $650Cdn for 3/8" tempered glass with two holes and radius corners. I have dealt a lot with windows and that is about the going rate.

I've done a total of 46 (Ithink) new custom windows on this boat and my last two boats. Your quote does not seem out of line to me.

The template charge is to program the automated cutter, no one cuts by hand anymore unless shadetree.

Given the size of your windows $200ea. sounds reasonable
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Thanks. Just feel like they see me coming. It’s happened with other boat stuff too.
It's hard for any of us to judge but doesn't sound exceptionally high. You have different sizes and different shapes so it is nine different windows rather than one window nine times.

Also, the quality cutters are going to make templates. As a result, using automated cutting, their consistency and accuracy will be perfect.

On the surface, the prices don't seem out of line to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
I just replaced a 27" x 34" tempered glass for $58. When I picked it up he gave we two because one had a small chip on the edge! That price is crazy unless you have a submarine!
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
If it's tempered, they'll need to send it out for tempering. It's not cheap. I had a 3/8" windshield replaced, clear glass, rounded corners, had to be templated. 36x26 the piece was $315. That was in 2016. Sounds like your price isn't out of line. I suppose you could use laminated, it could be cut on site, probably less cost, but not as tough.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #27

City: Panama City Beach
I replaced my windows by taking 1 pane to a local glass company and told them I needed 6 of the same.
just under $100 each pane and no other charges.
fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #28

City: Panama City Beach
And it was tempered glass.
fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Graylite 14 is a high performance glass with 14% light transmission, tempered. It's a soda lime colored glass. This is much different than just saying I want a tempered glass. I think the quality of glass Donna is getting was somewhat overlooked by those talking about buying cheaper. She'll know the difference when she's comfortably inside with less glare and less heat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Graylite 14 is a high performance glass with 14% light transmission, tempered. It's a soda lime colored glass. This is much different than just saying I want a tempered glass. I think the quality of glass Donna is getting was somewhat overlooked by those talking about buying cheaper. She'll know the difference when she's comfortably inside with less glare and less heat.
True I am going for the best! I guess I’ll just suck up the cost and move on.

All of you have been very helpful. Just tough when you’re a woman and say the word “ boat”. That’s why I have learned to do most work myself.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #31
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Donna maybe you need to get some estimates inland away from the “ high rent districts “. Palatka, Green Cove, even Lake City might be worth the drive.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #32
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
That’s where I got the 3 grand quote from just for the glass.
Lee $ Cates will be among the most expensive quotes obtained. They do good work, just not inexpensive.
Try calling Mirror Man Inc in St Augustine. He does work very professionally and much more reasonably. He does glass but not sure if he would have the type your looking for.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Why bother with tempered?

"Total price for safety glass, laminated, was under $200 Canadian,"

Safety is critical but any auto shop can do safety glass , which might even be a better choice than tempered.

We use auto safety glass in pilot house as wipers , even with a FW washing setup, will scratch the window in time , so replacement is necessary.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #34
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I just replaced my three pilot house windows. Approximately 27x30 for $85 each laminated. I did the labor.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 AM   #35
FF
Guru

The heat from sunshine , esp in FL is a constant.

The best way to get rid of it is to reflect it away , a glass that absorbs the heat will feel warm to the touch and pass heat into the cabin.

Out simple system is cloth window covers created so they can be snapped in place either inside or outside.

Cruising they can be snapped in place quickly , for comfort or privacy , when the boat is unoccupied they snap on inside to reduce sun damage and not get blown off in a hurricane.

Marina bound folks can have covers made from RV windshield style material that blocks the sun but allows viewing from inside.,,,, However if you light up inside at night , you are on display.

Marina Plan B is reflective mirror foil stuck on outside , for the Bubba cop sun glasses look.

Plan C is "warm shades" insulated pull or roll down shades that are a great help if air conditioned or heating.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #36

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Once you've obtained 3 or more responsible and responsive proposals you have surfaced the market price ...done.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #37
Guru

City: gulf coast
Some good points are raised about what type glass is being considered. Prices may wary widely depending on the glass specs. Good idea to ask what is being quoted. My experience was with single window replacement and I just wanted to match the factory basic grey tempered so not expensive.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote