Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
SHAFT SHARK line and rope cutter for your prop & shaft

I am looking for some personal use stories on this device (Shaft Shark). One of the concerns I have is how effective is it and is the drag all that noticeable.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor, WA
I have had a couple if different rope cutters. Had Spurs on one boat and a Shaft Shark on the current boat. They work great and I have not felt any drag from either type. Good insurance.
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I have Sharks...never used them that I know of and they seem like a good product. Simpler and less parts than Spurs, which I've also had.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have the Shark cutter. I have never noticed any additional drag from it. It is hard to say how often it has worked, once that I am quite sure of, maybe more often that I never noticed? I do know I have never had to diveonit to cut a line, or found a like wrapped on a haulout. They are pretty much maintenance free and very sharp, always remind divers that they are there so they can avoid getting cut.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I have the shaft sharks. The outside diameter is not much bigger than the prop hub, so its unlikely it has much of any drag. I know mine has "worked" at least once and it has never "not worked". (Never had a line wrap around the shaft tightly) They may or may not work all the time, its a last ditch defense.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
004.jpg  
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

City: Swampscott
Shark or spur

I have had both spurs and shark on sail and power boats over many years. Both were effective, but had several occasions at haul out when I discovered all or part of a spur was gone, necessitating replacement. Never happened with the Shark, which, as noted, are much simpler. Never noticed any drag. However, when I did back up over my dockline (which was dumped in the water by an over eager deckhand), a diver was needed. And you certainly do have to caution any diver--they are sharp!! Wouldn't cruise without them here in the Northeast.
Alibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think Practical Sailor Magazine did a review of line cutters. They decided that the bypass type, like Spurs, were a little more effective, but not much. The knife type are easier to install.

I had Spurs for 28 years and never had a problem with getting tangled in line. I did hit and cut a floating line on at least one occasion. Usually you just won’t know it has worked.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I have a PropProtector from the UK that works fine and costs less than half of what a Shark costs and much less than Spurs.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I have a PropProtector from the UK that works fine and costs less than half of what a Shark costs and much less than Spurs.
Picture please or web page?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Has anyone tried these?? Sea Shield Marine SALCA – Sacrificial Anode Line Cutter Assembly (Amazon)

Hard to beat the price
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	810105_4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	87613 ASAP supplies $129.47USD
Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Has anyone tried these?? Sea Shield Marine SALCA – Sacrificial Anode Line Cutter Assembly (Amazon)

Hard to beat the price
Cost around forty bucks and looks kinda flimsy, plus you have to replace it frequently, I've had my ProProtector on for five years, works good and still looks new.Name:  Salca.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  6.0 KB
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: South Florida
This Shaft Razor has 2 cutting surfaces and comes in 2 pieces so it can be installed without removing the prop

Attached Thumbnails
Split Iso png 6x5.jpg  
Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
This Shaft Razor has 2 cutting surfaces and comes in 2 pieces so it can be installed without removing the prop

These do also, $175Click image for larger version

Name:	Proprotecter.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	87640
Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #15

City: Chiappini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
I am looking for some personal use stories on this device (Shaft Shark). One of the concerns I have is how effective is it and is the drag all that noticeable.
I had the shark on my main ship 390 and it saved my boat upon entering snake Creek at Islamorada when I ran over a line in shallow water and in the narrowest part of the channel with no room to spare. I felt it hit and then it spit it out in a split second. I’m sure it did not affect the performance of my boat and I will not sale in the keys without one. I now have a Hallberg Rassi sail boat and installed the shark on that boat as well.
Captnick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

City: Virginia
Somewhat dated, but very good
backfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post

Hard to beat the price
I had a set put on my ingle shaft a couple of months back, and I believe it worked the other day when there was a sudden rumbling down below while running at 15 MPH. I immediately stopped and checked the engine over and then slowly brought RPMs back up with no farther issues. My guess is the SALCA was doing its thing.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #18

City: Virginia
Yachting Monthly 2015 Reviews
Shaft Razor Panbo Review
backfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Cost around forty bucks and looks kinda flimsy, plus you have to replace it frequently, I've had my ProProtector on for five years, works good and still looks new.Attachment 87617

But its not much more that a zinc anyway and I think you could leave it installed when the zinc is exhausted and just place a new zinc firward of it. I cant imagine that exhausting the zinc would allow the cutter to come lose? But I have never seen one to examine the construction. The cutter is SS.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
I installed the Prop Protector in January 2016. It traveled thousands of miles doing nothing, I was not expecting much from it. And we cruise in the Chesapeake, Albemarle , New England and the ICW , so we have experienced with dodging pots. Last summer we spent almost 8 weeks in the Erie Canal, Rideau Canal, St. Lawrence Seaway and lake Champlain. No pots! But upon return tot he sea we had a big thunk under the boat. No change in RPM, no vibration, no change in speed no sign of anything in our wake. When we were hauled out for bottom paint a month later we could see that the prop protector blade was bent in between two prop blades. Clearly it had done its job at some point . This spring it has worked once in the St Johns river and once in the Pasquatank. I'm now sold on them!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4379.jpg  
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft shark