Alternatives to Krogen Express?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never realized the Krogen express had a full height ER, so have been looking at the floor plans and pictures. Is my interpretation correct that the stand-up portion of the ER is the first 5-6 feet (basically the part around the engines), then it drops down in height for the aft part of the ER where presumably the generator, AC units, etc are located? It's hard to tell from the pictures and layout drawings.

20 tons? Wow, that's a light boat. The GB 47 Europa is about 28 tons and is 5 feet shorter. But the GBs do tend to be on the heavy side.

Is my interpretation correct that the stand-up portion of the ER is the first 5-6 feet (basically the part around the engines), then it drops down in height for the aft part of the ER where presumably the generator, AC units, etc are located?

That's how I remember it being like, but less if memory serves.

The Krogen 39 also has a stand-up engine room with tool bench etc., and also has a low profile, but as noted, the stand-up height is only the first 5 ft. or so, there after it's still quite adequate, but maybe 50" or so. Draft is 4.5'.

The Krogen 39 also has a stand-up engine room with tool bench etc., and also has a low profile, but as noted, the stand-up height is only the first 5 ft. or so, there after it's still quite adequate, but maybe 50" or so. Draft is 4.5'.

Much easier to accomplish with a deep displacement hull, but much harder on the Krogen Express which is a planing hull.

I recall the ER being full height (6'? I had to stoop very slightly at 6'2") the full length of the engines and very manageable. Not dissimilar from the lay out of the GB Classics, genset tucked away a bit.

I own a boat very similar in size set up and performance to the KE. My take on this type of boat is they do best for people who want a wider speed choice 7-16K range. This type of boat is also at home on protected waters but can easily venture into chop but really not a great open water boat. The KE and my boat have twins but most DE types do not. The KE is not in my opinion a true lobster boat but is related and some what down easty. If Yanmar 6ly 2a motors are aboard watch out especially if boat has been over propped or run hard. I personally would not buy a boat with 6ly 2a motors unless the price included a repower option. In general I like the design and considered buying one since the boat fits my use pattern fairly well. I do not consider this type of boat a trawler. An express that can be run like a trawler 7-9K when desired.

Last edited:
Lots of headroom here. But the heat in an engine room can become nearly intolerable.

Coal-in-boiler-room1.jpg

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. I appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom