Alternate, alternator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiritnt32

Vessel Name
Spirit
Vessel Make
Great Harbour N37
I’ve ran the gamut of higher output alternators. At least research wise.
I’ve been considering a ZRD. Off engine mount. Ran directly off the main crank pulley of one of the engines. Our boat. Great Harbour N37 has easy access and convenient mounting on the engine stringer.
Just interested if anyone’s experience with this system. Many Thanks.
Regards,
Russ...

I have had Zena 150amp alts on both of my Lehmans now for 14 years with no problems. Thousands of hours of usage using single 5/8" Green Stripe Belt.

Tator

Our boat. Great Harbour N37 has easy access and convenient mounting on the engine stringer.
Russ...

Assuming your engine is soft mounted, don't mount it to the stringer but to the engine itself.

How big an alternator are you looking for? In the 160 - 200A range something like a Delco will do that for a small fraction of the ZRD. If you want something really big, off engine mount, with continuous high output try the Electrodyne. It can run at crankshaft speeds, so from a PTO. The one on my sailboat has 7KW output (280A at 24V). The recommended service is to repack the bearings every 20,000 hours. It's pretty hard to do that in a smaller alternator (like a large frame J180) because even though it may be rated for 200 or 300 A, it cannot dissipate the heat and will either derate or burn up.

How big an alternator are you looking for? In the 160 - 200A range something like a Delco will do that for a small fraction of the ZRD. If you want something really big, off engine mount, with continuous high output try the Electrodyne. It can run at crankshaft speeds, so from a PTO. The one on my sailboat has 7KW output (280A at 24V). The recommended service is to repack the bearings every 20,000 hours. It's pretty hard to do that in a smaller alternator (like a large frame J180) because even though it may be rated for 200 or 300 A, it cannot dissipate the heat and will either derate or burn up.

I had poor luck running the Delco 150 amp alternators at 120 amps for hours. They're just not designed to run at rated output for very long. If you choose to go this route, make sure to use an external regulator (such as Balmar) with an alternator temperature probe to mostly reduce the output until the alternator cools down.

I found the Leece Neville large frame alternators to be bullet proof with continuous output rating. Mine is setup with a Balmar regulator and temperature probe, but never has to reduce output during the bulk or absorption phases do to alternator heat.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom