Almost time to bottom paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, for the umpteenth time- these are not new products. They are same products that have been tweaked to be more effective using less copper. What about that is so difficult to understand?

The fact is that you probably have one of these paints on your boat right now.

This:

Pettit Trinidad Hard Antifouling Marine Paint

Trinidad is the top-of-the-line in conventional antifouling paints. It has earned its reputation as one of the most respected names in the industry. Trinidad delivers an extremely high load of cuprous oxide (up to 75%), to combat even the most extreme fouling conditions. Its durable, hard modified epoxy finish has excellent adhesion, and is highly abrasion resistant. When left in the water, Trinidad will provide years of dependable service. The perfect choice for competitive racing or boat cruising. Use 120 Thinner.
  • Designed for Extreme Fouling Conditions with up to 75% Cuprous Oxide
  • Proven Track Record of Unparalleled Performance
  • Left In the Water, it Provides Classic, Year-Round Service
  • Hard, Durable, Finish for Long Lasting Performance

What ever became of that bottom paint that was supposed to not contain copper but was supposed to be like a fish's skin? Their advertising asked if you ever saw barnacles on a fish?

How's that ultrasonic barnacle repellent working out for folks?

What I use is pretty expensive but it's been around long enough to prove that it works.

Last edited:
In the Northeast, most boats are hauled for the Winter. Since hard paints lose effectiveness when out of the water for even a few days, this makes it necessary to repaint every year. Whereas ablatives wear down naturally and require minimal clean-up before repainting, hard paint chips and builds up on the hull. So, if not sanded every year, sooner or later you end up with thick coat of unsightly ineffective paint to remove.

In the Northeast, most boats are hauled for the Winter. Since hard paints lose effectiveness when out of the water for even a few days, this makes it necessary to repaint every year. Whereas ablatives wear down naturally and require minimal clean-up before repainting, hard paint chips and builds up on the hull. So, if not sanded every year, sooner or later you end up with thick coat of unsightly ineffective paint to remove.

The other side of the coin is, if you don't run your boat often or don't run it fast, ablative paints don't work well.

I mentioned way back in this thread that the paint manufacturers have selection guides to help you choose the best paint for your boa in your conditions and the way you use your boat. Do this and you won't have to sort through a couple hundred posts and still be confused.

No longer confused. I sold the boat!!! It had a perfectly good coat of Micron CSC when it left!!

Greetings,
WOW! Ran the numbers and a renew of the AF around the Ft. Lauderdale area is going to be anywhere from $5K to $8K. Any suggestions of a cheaper yard to the north (GA, SC/NC)? Last time I had it done 3 years ago it was about $1K.
26 tons just under 50'

I think there are hard paints that maintain their AF properties while out of the water for a particular amount of time. It just depends on the paint. But I may be mistaken.

What ever became of that bottom paint that was supposed to not contain copper but was supposed to be like a fish's skin? Their advertising asked if you ever saw barnacles on a fish?

Sharklet AF Is not a paint, but rather a synthetic film that is glued to the hull. As a product for marine use (of any kind), still apparently in the testing stage.

Greetings,
WOW! Ran the numbers and a renew of the AF around the Ft. Lauderdale area is going to be anywhere from $5K to $8K. Any suggestions of a cheaper yard to the north (GA, SC/NC)? Last time I had it done 3 years ago it was about $1K.
26 tons just under 50'

These guys were great with me...and a nice town to hang around.

Ross Marine outside of Charleston, SC

Rates

Best way to be sure what works best is to interview some barnacles. Otherwise, it`s helpful, but really conjecture using anchor preference reasoning.

All boats are meant to be in the water. Painting, maintenance, etc. should be done expeditiously to get that sweet hull back in the water asap. So many problems are eliminated following the 6 P's.?

Greetings,
26 tons just under 50'

Dang RT, sounds as though I owe Donna or her painter an apology.

Oh well, y'all's just a bunch a Richy Rich boat owners. Pay up sucker :)

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Nope, nothing special. I just did a very quick calculation from the #'s at the Palm Beach Yacht Center site. Could be I double added some costs but everything seemed to be plus, plus, plus. I'll look into your links. Thanks. As long as it isn't up the New River I'm pretty comfortable. That NR is REAL skinny in places especially with that river boat tour beast (Jungle Queen).

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Nope, nothing special. I just did a very quick calculation from the #'s at the Palm Beach Yacht Center site. Could be I double added some costs but everything seemed to be plus, plus, plus. I'll look into your links. Thanks. As long as it isn't up the New River I'm pretty comfortable. That NR is REAL skinny in places especially with that river boat tour beast (Jungle Queen).

New River is easy for a boat your size....well, other than the fact it's about to be shut down for a couple of weeks. If you could get it up there before the shut down, might get some very good deals. They could work on it while no one can get there.

Sharklet AF Is not a paint, but rather a synthetic film that is glued to the hull. As a product for marine use (of any kind), still apparently in the testing stage.

That doesn't sound like what I was thinking of. They were advertising it a couple years ago and used a photo of a fish in their ads. I'm pretty sure it was a paint.

My AF quote came this morning. A$3600, plus extra A$2300 for Propspeed on all metal surfaces. Last time I only did the props, but shafts, struts and rudders all developed huge barnacle farms over the antifoul on metal. Much, much worse than on the hull. So we will see how they fare with propspeed. The props were in good condition after 16 months.

Dang RT, sounds as though I owe Donna or her painter an apology.

Oh well, y'all's just a bunch a Richy Rich boat owners. Pay up sucker :)

I'm waiting.............................:D

At least I know I'm not getting ripped off if I have them do it. I just don't want to take on this project.

That NR is REAL skinny in places especially with that river boat tour beast (Jungle Queen).

We used to do the New River/Dania Cut loop from time to time, lunch stop in downtown FLL, etc...

One of the first trips in the (previous) boat, brand new, and me still learning about twins at the time... sure enough ol' JQ came steaming east while we were near the western pat of the loop. Gak!

We survived the encounter, didn't even have to launder shorts prematurely... but it was certainly an eye-opener! :)

After that first time, it became sorta routine, though...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom