Almost time to bottom paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that's just dumb. They have worked out a formula that works best and that's the amount of copper and other things they put in the paint. They don't "add more copper".

Copper is fairly expensive. 10 years ago when most paints had copper, you could buy the same manufacturer's paint with different levels of copper. The boat yard I use carried Rappahannock bottom paint. There were 2 or 3 choices of copper level. If you picked up the high level can, it weighed significantly more. There was so much copper in the top level that you could see streaks of copper after the paint dried on the hull. The high copper paint cost maybe 30% more, but it worked really well. EPA put them out of business.

Ted

Ok, here is a stupid question. How many coats?

Usually two. But if your vessel has a female name after eight or nine different coats it still is not enough. [emoji41]

Now that's just dumb. They have worked out a formula that works best and that's the amount of copper and other things they put in the paint. They don't "add more copper".

Well I guess you need to tell that to the paint companies then.

Because the % of copper in a gallon of paint not only changes between brands of paint but it changes within paints of the same brand.

And that is what I was speaking to.

Last edited:
Great thread and very timely! Thanks Donna! We're hauling out on Saturday for through hull replacements and a couple coats of ablative (sorry fastbottom, we don't have the $$ to make the switch to hard right now).

WesK and others: invertebrates, such as many of the fouling organisms on our hulls, cannot tolerate high concentrations of copper - it's something about their development but I forget what exactly. I'm sure google could tell you. I imagine the main reason they don't put MORE into our paints is it's expensive - over $2/lb just as scrap.

There is a point where more copper cannot be added because the paint cannot hold it. That is, the paint would fail because too much other stuff has been added to it for it to stick and stay stuck to the hull.

No doubt the tree huggers will do away with copper bottom paint if they get the chance.

In fact, the trend is to make less copper work more effectively.

Clean Core Technology - An enhanced paint film that contains fewer heavy metals, and allows a more consistent release of biocides. By removing the heavy metals in the paint film, and replacing them with more environmentally friendly additives, Clean Core Technology can reduce the amount of heavy metals released into our waters by up to 90%. These new additives have been specially formulated to provide a more “finetuned” and consistent release of the biocides from the paint film. This results in a more effective bottom paint that requires lower biocide levels to deliver full antifouling protection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pettit_Marine_Paint

Clean Core Technology - An enhanced paint film that contains fewer heavy metals, and allows a more consistent release of biocides. By removing the heavy metals in the paint film, and replacing them with more environmentally friendly additives, Clean Core Technology can reduce the amount of heavy metals released into our waters by up to 90%. These new additives have been specially formulated to provide a more “finetuned” and consistent release of the biocides from the paint film. This results in a more effective bottom paint that requires lower biocide levels to deliver full antifouling protection.

If it works, that's great. Considering the cost of the haulout, preparation, paint and labor, few of us are lining up to be early adopters.

It's pretty tough to prove anything with bottom paint because no two sets of conditions are identical.

If it works, that's great. Considering the cost of the haulout, preparation, paint and labor, few of us are lining up to be early adopters.

It's pretty tough to prove anything with bottom paint because no two sets of conditions are identical.

You don't understand. This is how Pettit and other paint manufacturers are making all of their copper-based hard and ablative products now.

Last edited:
Do you have a hull cleaner? An experienced one can give you a pretty good idea.

Yep, divers every 6 weeks in winter and every 4 weeks in summer. I'll talk to the guys.

Thank you all for the info!

You don't understand. This is how Pettit and other paint manufacturers are making all of their copper-based hard and ablative products now.

In that same wiki page they list 8 other types of paint besides "Clean Core Technology ". Which I assume is Pettits RT name for that type of paint.

So it still looks like Pettit as well as the other brands of bottom paint still sell multiple types of bottom paint.

In that same wiki page they list 8 other types of paint besides "Clean Core Technology ". Which I assume is Pettits RT name for that type of paint.

So it still looks like Pettit as well as the other brands of bottom paint still sell multiple types of bottom paint.

"Clean Core" is not a type of paint. It's a new way to reduce metals in existing products.

"Clean Core" is not a type of paint. It's a new way to reduce metals in existing products.

Which makes it a different type of paint. Most of the different types are adding or subtracting from an existing one. Seldom do they actually reinvent the wheel.

Which makes it a different type of paint. Most of the different types are adding or subtracting from an existing one. Seldom do they actually reinvent the wheel.

Jeezus- I give up. It's like talking to a stump. :rolleyes:

This is all getting far too serious....
How do you circumcise a whale? Send down 4 skin divers.

You said that "Clean Core" was a new type of paint. It is not. It is simply a way of making existing paint work better with less biocide.

So that would make it a different "type" of the existing paint.

You know, the "Clean Core" type. As opposed to the non "Clean Core" type. :socool:

You know, the "Clean Core" type. As opposed to the non "Clean Core" type. :socool:
Or "Dirty Core".:)

Look, you just don't get it. Modifying a hard paint by using Clean Core technology doesn't make it a different "type" of paint any more than putting snow tires on your Prius makes it an SUV. It's still a hard paint.

Look, you just don't get it. Modifying a hard paint by using Clean Core technology doesn't make it a different "type" of paint any more than putting snow tires on your Prius makes it an SUV. It's still a hard paint.

No, I get it. :D

You said that "Clean Core" was a new type of paint. It is not. It is simply a way of making existing paint work better with less biocide.

I don't believe I said anything about "Clean Core". I've never even heard of it until now.

Since my bottom painting was pretty recent, I haven't been thinking about bottom paint lately.

I don't believe I said anything about "Clean Core". I've never even heard of it until now.

Ummm... you went out of your way to infom me that few of you would be "early adopters" of Clean Core paints. :facepalm:

Ummm... you went out of your way to infom me that few of you would be "early adopters" of Clean Core paints. :facepalm:

Any post that starts out with "Ummm..." is bound to be sarcastic at best. I did post that few folks are going to be early adopters of anything new and untested. I think that's pretty normal considering the cost. Just look at all the amazing new products that show up on TV and then fade away once people find out that they don't work as claimed.

Way back in this thread you listed your professional recommendations and I happen to be using one of them. Are you recommending something different now? Did you change your mind so quickly?

Any post that starts out with "Ummm..." is bound to be sarcastic at best. I did post that few folks are going to be early adopters of anything new and untested. I think that's pretty normal considering the cost. Just look at all the amazing new products that show up on TV and then fade away once people find out that they don't work as claimed.

Way back in this thread you listed your professional recommendations and I happen to be using one of them. Are you recommending something different now? Did you change your mind so quickly?

OK, for the umpteenth time- these are not new products. They are same products that have been tweaked to be more effective using less copper. What about that is so difficult to understand?

The fact is that you probably have one of these paints on your boat right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom