All electric galley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always had a gas cooktop at home, propane on boats. When I found the cruiser I really wanted it had an all electric galley. I was concerned about that, seemed like a negative at first.

Having owned it for three years I'm very happy with it. Electric coil hob, combo microwave/convection oven, small microwave oven. We like to cook and sometimes make elaborate meals while on the hook. Cooktop is very easy to clean. Love that. Less heat inside the boat, nice in summer.

Small microwave (900 watts) great for heating up something for lunch.

Some of the insurance companies seem to express concern about propane, especially on older boats. People do sometimes have issues with the solenoid. Getting bottles filled can sometimes be an issue.

However, I don't think the electric galley is viable without a generator. Battery technology has come a long way, so have inverters. Solar (which I also have) is very helpful WHEN the sun shines. Darn sun doesn't always cooperate. All these electric appliances pull significant amperage, even when you space things out and use only one or two appliances at a time.

My generator is noisy, hate firing it up and disturbing the quiet. But for the time being, I don't see any way around it.

I have a generator and I am not afraid to use it.
6KW, sound shield and underwater exhaust.

I have always had a gas cooktop at home, propane on boats. When I found the cruiser I really wanted it had an all electric galley. I was concerned about that, seemed like a negative at first.

Having owned it for three years I'm very happy with it. Electric coil hob, combo microwave/convection oven, small microwave oven. We like to cook and sometimes make elaborate meals while on the hook. Cooktop is very easy to clean. Love that. Less heat inside the boat, nice in summer.

Small microwave (900 watts) great for heating up something for lunch.

Some of the insurance companies seem to express concern about propane, especially on older boats. People do sometimes have issues with the solenoid. Getting bottles filled can sometimes be an issue.

However, I don't think the electric galley is viable without a generator. Battery technology has come a long way, so have inverters. Solar (which I also have) is very helpful WHEN the sun shines. Darn sun doesn't always cooperate. All these electric appliances pull significant amperage, even when you space things out and use only one or two appliances at a time.

My generator is noisy, hate firing it up and disturbing the quiet. But for the time being, I don't see any way around it.

I am inclined to agree with you... wishing doesn't count as a solution. Maybe Fuel cell?

She mentioned as propane downsides that the open flame heats up the galley too much, and worse an open window blows out the propane flame.

The correct burner for a propane stove starts at high and is turned down to obtain a lesser heat. It will have an adjustment to set how low the flame at low setting will be.

Exchange propane tanks are a bit more per fill, but are found almost everywhere, no waiting. Grandmothers folding cart will carry propane with the groceries and cases of beer.
Yes, FF, most of us, including I are aware of propane exchange. Still, one must haul it on and off the boat, find a marina with a courtesy car, and find a place. As far as turning down the propane burner, we'll, of course, but at whatever level, propane still heats up the boat and adds moisture. As with most boating issues, there are trade-offs but getting propane is simply not an easy task.

She mentioned as propane downsides that the open flame heats up the galley too much, and worse an open window blows out the propane flame.

The correct burner for a propane stove starts at high and is turned down to obtain a lesser heat. It will have an adjustment to set how low the flame at low setting will be.

Exchange propane tanks are a bit more per fill, but are found almost everywhere, no waiting. Grandmothers folding cart will carry propane with the groceries and cases of beer.

I have a generator and I am not afraid to use it.
6KW, sound shield and underwater exhaust.

Bingo.

Those on the southern half to two-thirds of the east coast are likely to already have a generator, to power AC.

So since one has a genset already in the equation, going electric in the galley eliminates a fuel and another system. Even though that fuel and system may not be a big deal, its something.

Same way going with an electric dingy outboard eliminates a gas can and keeping that supplied.

Things boil down fast to, what do you like to use? Prefer cooking with gas, or electric? Prefer the speed of a gas outboard on a rib, or is puttering under electric at 2-3 knots OK with a lightweight and easy to use machine?

If electric, then it soon boils down to genset and house battery bank capacity needs.

My two cents.

Bingo.
Things boil down fast to, what do you like to use? Prefer cooking with gas, or electric?

When comparing electric to gas cooking, making the distinction of induction vs. traditional electric is a big deal. I hate cooking on electric coils. Very slow to heat, slow to cool, slow to respond to changes in setting. It's awful. Gas is much faster to respond and I much prefer it to traditional electric.

Induction in practical use is much like the best of both gas and traditional electric. Faster to heat, faster to cool and faster to respond to settings than gas. No extra heat escapes from the cooktop, so you don't heat up the workspace. Many induction cooktops have features you won't find on either gas or electric like setting and holding a specific temperature on any pot you put on it.

Personally induction is my favorite cooking method with gas in second place, and electric dead last. I use all three right now, gas in my RV, electric at home and induction on the boat.

When comparing electric to gas cooking, making the distinction of induction vs. traditional electric is a big deal. I hate cooking on electric coils. Very slow to heat, slow to cool, slow to respond to changes in setting. It's awful. Gas is much faster to respond and I much prefer it to traditional electric.

Induction in practical use is much like the best of both gas and traditional electric. Faster to heat, faster to cool and faster to respond to settings than gas. No extra heat escapes from the cooktop, so you don't heat up the workspace. Many induction cooktops have features you won't find on either gas or electric like setting and holding a specific temperature on any pot you put on it.

Personally induction is my favorite cooking method with gas in second place, and electric dead last. I use all three right now, gas in my RV, electric at home and induction on the boat.

Well that's what you folks have introduced me to. Induction isn't something we have any experience with. The suggestion yesterday to get a cheap countertop hob and give it a go is something I'll be doing for sure. If that's a great as folks say, and my wife likes it ... then easy decision methinks.

This sums it all up quite nicely.

We always had gas cooktops in our land homes, but after moving aboard and using induction we will never go back. It cooks just like gas, but does not require you to breathe all the hydrocarbons and monoxide from the burners, nor does it heat up the galley when in use. It just heats the pans.

No need for fiddles either: just lay a silicone sheet over the cooktop and cook right through it!

Last edited:
We always had gas cooktops in our land homes, but after moving aboard and using induction we will never go back. It cooks just like gas, but does not require you to breathe all the hydrocarbons and monoxide from the burners, nor does it heat up the galley when in use. It just heats the pans.

No need for fiddles either: just lay a silicone sheet over the cooktop and cook right through it!

Great idea!

Yes, FF, most of us, including I are aware of propane exchange. Still, one must haul it on and off the boat, find a marina with a courtesy car, and find a place.

Not sure how it would work at a transient slip, but at home, when the pandemic hit, I discovered Cynch propane delivery. I leave a 20lb bottle next to the garage, pay them $19.99 online, and a couple days later a refill is delivered. Also discovered Total Wines will deliver beer. My wife isn't as keen on that as the Cynch propane delivery.....

Peter

Last edited:
In fact, I am eyeballing a NT with a blown genset. Replacing the weight and the $$$ with Lithium Ion batteries would sure be easier!

I just bought a little trawler with a blown 4K genset. 600 hours on a 8hp Yanmar with a new injector. The PO thought it was the injector only to replace it and learn that it was the injector pump (which would cost $200 for replacement). So in looking at the possibility of upgrading from propane to induction I should probably first look at getting the genset to run. Not as elegant a solution as $2,000 in solar and $3,000 in Lithium Ion batteries and $1,800 for a pure sine wave inverter, but I could change 500 lbs of ballast back into something very useful. As a bonus, the genset puts out the pure sine wave needed for an induction stove. I may have to stay partially stuck in the past.

I have a Kenyon KISS stove. 1 burner is electric, 1 is Butane. Neither heat with any speed. I’m removing it and will replace it with an induction cook top. I will keep a portable butane burner on board just in case i do not want to start the gen for morning coffee

My portable gas burner is called a grill and is mounted at the stern of the boat.

My portable gas burner is called a grill and is mounted at the stern of the boat.

We spend a lot of time on anchor. I hate to start the gen while others are sleeping. The $30.00 butane works fine for coffee

We spend a lot of time on anchor. I hate to start the gen while others are sleeping. The $30.00 butane works fine for coffee

Morning coffee was my big reason for putting in an inverter and solar. Ditch the morning generator run and power the coffee maker from the inverter, and now I should rarely need more than 1 generator run in a day.

Or perhaps a small inverter? It doesn't take that long to make a pot of coffee.

I have read about this issue many times, that is, a generator disturbing others in an anchorage. Enlighten me. My generators cannot be heard within 50 feet of the boat and then it is only the splashing of exhaust water. The engines absolutely cannot be heard running. To even hear the splashing water one must have a sight line to the stern.

I have read about this issue many times, that is, a generator disturbing others in an anchorage. Enlighten me. My generators cannot be heard within 50 feet of the boat and then it is only the splashing of exhaust water. The engines absolutely cannot be heard running. To even hear the splashing water one must have a sight line to the stern.

It's largely a narrative apparently based on old generators. Ours are quiet as well. Ours is on 100% of the time we cruise on long range cruises.

We have two generators on board, a Perkins-powered 12.5kw Kohler and a Mitsubishi-powered 7.7kw Westerbeke. Both are original to the boat, a 1983 DeFever 44. Even on board, when in the main cabin, we are hardly bothered by their noise, especially the Westerbeke. In the owner's cabin, we'll that's a different story.
It's largely a narrative apparently based on old generators. Ours are quiet as well. Ours is on 100% of the time we cruise on long range cruises.

Generator noise is mostly an issue for the occasional boat with a poorly muffled generator, or worse, the one with no generator and one of those "quiet" Hondas on the deck.

My generator is also pretty quiet from the outside. Original 1986 install and all you hear from 50 feet away is water discharge and a slight hum from the bilge blowers. And the water discharge isn't overly splashy either. Now, if only it were that quiet from inside, I'd be happy. With no sound shield and minimal engine room sound insulation, it's a bit noisy in the salon. Improving that is still on the to-do list.

The opposite point of view is expressed on Attainable Adventures. They did a detailed analysis of just this subject. This is a site aimed at transoceanic cruisers and cruising liveaboards. They come down strongly on the side favoring propane. We lived with two bottles and all propane for 7 years. Mostly in areas with low propane availability. Still, everywhere we went there was at least one gas station that had propane. Due to heat modulation, baking, no need for pot selection and speed if you’re going to live aboard propane is still my choice. We had multiple panels and two wind generators. Would rather spend AHs on other things. Do a energy budget for when you’re at anchor and suspect you’ll make the same decision.
BTW-had a NL inside a workroom. Noise a non issue and the 8kw sips fuel but still prefer propane.

Last edited:
I wonder why ocean liners have all electric galleys ????

I sort of doubt they have to do the '30amp dance'. LOL
They have the advantage of having excessive electrical power and redundancy.
WE dont have that luxury and learn to live within "what's available". SMILE

I agree that getting propane isn't that big a deal in most places. But there is a convenience benefit to having one less fuel type to manage. In my case, I already have the generator and no good spot for a propane locker. So it doesn't make sense to sacrifice space to install a propane locker somewhere and then have 2 fuel types on board when I can just use the generator to convert the gas I already carry for the engines into food.

Why would anyone commit to a cooking method that uses a fuel that is not readily available at marinas? Why use a fuel that comes in containers that are heavy, are in a hard to store shape, are easily rusted even in freshwater and are known for scratching gel coat. Finally, who believes that it is a good idea to light a fire in your galley and breathe all the fumes every time you want to heat anything? Just because burning propane or CNG gives off no visible smoke does not mean it is clean, or healthy to inhale the fumes. CO is CO, wherever it comes from!

Last edited:
Woodland please read the AA article on this subject and the comments. You’d see why.

Morgans Cloud' (Attainable Adventure) biggest knock against electric is lack of an oven. They like to roast and bake, and there is not a good electric equivalent comparable to induction. To their thinking, they would need a generator to do a 2-hour roast, so electric is significantly less efficient than propane. If your cooking habits do not include long roasts and braises, the resistance to electric wanes.

The perfect setup for me would be a 20-inch sized dual fuel induction cooktop with propane oven. I really like induction, especially compared to the tiny gas burners on propane stoves in this size category. I like the Breville a lot and it is indeed a plausible replacement for a home oven. I'm just not 'there' yet as it would necessitate running the generator for me. I know there are many on here that differ, but I just don't want to run a generator except when necessary.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom