The all electric boat, not propulsion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are places along the ICW that deliver propane tanks as a swap function.

Also heard not all that hard to get refills in the Bahamas or the islands....

But hard or difficult is a relative term.

Sounds about right. I didn't do much research, just haven't seen any fuel docks here where propane is routinely available. Wasn't actually looking hard, but thought I would have seen one or two. Nada.

I have a non-pressurized alcohol stove, and I have grown to like it. I won't let anyone use it until I give them a lesson, then it's simple. It doesn't get as hot as propane, but great for cooking anything on medium or low heat. I also have a portable butane cartridge stove on the side for quickly boiling big pots of water. This simple setup works well for me.

As someone mentioned; We all adapt to what we have.

I couldn't see the flame, and that made me nervous. But it also wouldn't make coffee in a percolator, so I gave up on it. And we had electric at the time, too, so we adapted.

-Chris

An induction cook top is another nice electric add on. Our many years of home, boat and Euro work induction experiences have shown propane to be a choice in all instances and not a necessity. Throwing in a convection microwave will render gas ovens unnecessary as well.

Our first larger vessel, made in 1971, was all electric. I never gave a thought to running gensets and ACs, ever since. Just felt natural and hassle free. With good choices for large on engine alternators and efficient batteries/inverters, all electric is the standard it would seem. But, a can of Sterno works too so not sure if there a best way, just less troublesome.

I was talking with someone the other day about the pros and cons of two different ways to configure a boat. I don't even recall what it was - it was just another thing that we could all debate for ever. One person chimed in an said it doesn't matter - whichever you have, you will adapt. Those were some of the wisest words I've heard in a long time, and I think it applies to so many of the this-way-or-that-way debates that we have, whether it's electric vs gas, single engine vs twin engine, which way your windows slant, dry vs wet exhaust, paravanes vs stabilizers, etc. etc. Other than making for fun conversation, it just doesn't matter. You will adapt to whatever you have, and figure out how to make it work. Your trip and use of the onboard electrical system is a great example. And I'm sure you had just as much fun as someone with some other system arrangement.

An emphatic and enthusiastic +1!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
"Instead, we bought a portable induction cooktop that we use on shore power or running the generator. We love it! It doesn't put out any residual heat and heat the pans almost instantly."

Has anyone has luck operating one of these on a cheap SQ wave inverter?

Back
Top Bottom