Alcohol Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alcohol stove wouldn't work for me as I can't keep enough alcohol on the boat as it is. It's all about storage!

I wonder why lighter-than-air butane/natural gas never caught on in a big way. Such fuels are safer as they will not accumulate in the bilge.

But the world is what it is, and so heavier-than-air propane is what is available most anywhere. It can be used in a number of ways, including the fridge.

Alcohol on the other hand seems to have no other use except the stove. Stocking another fuel for one system seems to be an additional complication.

I wonder why lighter-than-air butane/natural gas never caught on in a big way. Such fuels are safer as they will not accumulate in the bilge.

Butane is actually heavier than propane and both are heavier than air. Natural gas (methane) is the only common cooking gas that is lighter than air.

I think that natural gas became unpopular as a cooking fuel on boats because it has to be compressed at high pressure to store it in cylinders. The difficulty and safety of handling high pressure cylinders of gas is probably what did it in, plus the expense.

David

"The difficulty and safety of handling high pressure cylinders of gas is probably what did it in, plus the expense."

Many British boats were fitted with acetylene tanks for cooking , heating and bright mantle lights , as it is lighter than air.

Never caught on in the US due to refilling laws and licenses .

Butane is actually heavier than propane and both are heavier than air. Natural gas (methane) is the only common cooking gas that is lighter than air.
David

You are absolutely correct and my apologies for bad info... I took other comments I have heard and repeated them without checking... my bad.
I do still like my single burner butane stove.

"Butane is heavier than air." Let me write that a few dozen times. I ought to have learned that in high school.

Sorry. Thank you.

Robert: Since your home port is in FL IMO you will learn to love the genny when it powers your air-conditioning.

Good point. Generator powered cooking works out nicely on a hot day (especially in the evening) if there isn't a good breeze to cool the boat down. Easy to just kick an AC unit on while cooking to take care of the heat produced from the galley.

CNG’s down fall was mostly due to cost. The cost of the bottle, the cost to compress it and the cost to store it both on land and in the boat. A CNG tank weighs double a propane tank and holds about a 1/3 if the btu’s. Propane bottles get refilled everywhere, CNG bottles are exchanged at a few specific locations and occasionally you would received an empty by mistake.

Our 30’ Hunter purchased new (won’t ever do that again) came equipped with an alcohol stove. What a BPITA! Hard to light and soooo slow. So I converted it to kerosene. Now that had a nice hot flame and of course, very difficult to get it going.

Once on anchor I almost had a major fire caused by trying to get the kerosene lit. Had to put the stove out with a fire extinguisher. Inside was covered with soot. Enough of toy stoves for me. Same stove top.....next I converted it to propane and purchased a safe storage locker that accommodated 2 each 6# aluminum cylinders. WHAT JOY!!!!!

NICE HOT BLUE FLAME, instant lighting, no smoke, no alcohol required for preheating. Those two tiny cylinders would last the entire summer. Now we have electric with an oven. Yeah, have to run the genny when away from the dock. Wifey likes it......I love it as long as I don’t have to use it or I would replace it with a propane system.

So for those who prefer alcohol.......enjoy!

Last edited:
We really like our Origo alcohol stove. It will be a moot point in the future though as they are no longer being manufactured.

Kerosene burners do need to be primed with stove alcohol .

There are 2 very simple methods.

One as mentioned is a spirits can (like an oil can but air tight with a pump) that is used to fill the priming cup with enough alcohol to burn 30 -40 seconds.

When alcohol primer burns out the kerosene will vaporize and burn clean & Hot..

A second common method is a thin strip of copper that is wound with asbestos like string . It is kept in a can of alcohol and put in place on the priming cup with a set of pinchers..

This is the most common method for non or partially gymboled burners that might splash the primer out due to boat motion.

Yes, there is always a 45 second delay in lighting the burner.

The 3rd world will take the Primus outside , flood the priming cup with kero and light it.

This creates loads of black smoke as he burner is heating , but its clean burning once lit.

Some cruisers prefer mineral spirits as it seems to require less time to preheat.

The downside to a kero burner is the unit must be operated high enough to keep the fuel vaporized.
This means a flame spreader is needed to simmer or operate at very low heat.

WE use an espresso pot as it can take all the heat the burner puts out and the gurgle reminds one the coffee is ready.

https://www.garrettwade.com/classic...MIhcvUmf6x5AIVCITICh1sewUWEAQYCCABEgILufD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?clien...AhUmh-AKHeZsBrcQ4dUDCAY#imgrc=DZv6gcZCcmBCOM:

Last edited:
Kerosene burners do need to be primed with stove alcohol .

There are 2 very simple methods.

One as mentioned is a spirits can (like an oil can but air tight with a pump) that is used to fill the priming cup with enough alcohol to burn 30 -40 seconds.

When alcohol primer burns out the kerosene will vaporize and burn clean & Hot..

A second common method is a thin strip of copper that is wound with asbestos like string . It is kept in a can of alcohol and put in place on the priming cup with a set of pinchers..

This is the most common method for non or partially gymboled burners that might splash the primer out due to boat motion.

Yes, there is always a 45 second delay in lighting the burner.

The 3rd world will take the Primus outside , flood the priming cup with kero and light it.

This creates loads of black smoke as he burner is heating , but its clean burning once lit.

Some cruisers prefer mineral spirits as it seems to require less time to preheat.

The downside to a kero burner is the unit must be operated high enough to keep the fuel vaporized.
This means a flame spreader is needed to simmer or operate at very low heat.

WE use an espresso pot as it can take all the heat the burner puts out and the gurgle reminds one the coffee is ready.

https://www.garrettwade.com/classic...MIhcvUmf6x5AIVCITICh1sewUWEAQYCCABEgILufD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?clien...AhUmh-AKHeZsBrcQ4dUDCAY#imgrc=DZv6gcZCcmBCOM:

OK—- so kerosene burners do not have to be primed with stove alcohol.....the burners just have to somehow be heated hot enough for kerosene vapors to ignite. Big deal indeed. If you use one, enjoy it.

We really like our Origo alcohol stove. It will be a moot point in the future though as they are no longer being manufactured.

Dometic now makes the Origo alcohol stoves. Just bought one unless something has changed very recently.

Dometic now makes the Origo alcohol stoves. Just bought one unless something has changed very recently.

Dometic has canceled production of alcohol stoves. They bought out Origo then stopped making them.

Alcohol was my first stove.. We had two fires due to defective pumps. In my mind the safest fuel in natural gas but its hard to find and has much less BTU's than propane. I have a 40 Nortic Tug now and use propane and have for the past 40 years. I dont like firing up the gen set either, I would go with properly vented propane any time.

I would rather fire up a genny than try to put out a fire caused by spilled alcohol that you cannot see as it spreads around the boat. Alcohol fires are invisible until they light something else afire and I dont want those invisible flames licking around my ankles.

On our Monk trawler, we have a propane stove that we are quite happy with. We also have solar panels and a large battery bank. No generator. The only measureable electrical draw (while on the hook) is our fridge. After 3 or 4 days, we still have plenty of voltage.

We have had the pressurized alcohol stove and a propane stove. We will take the propane any day. The alcohol 2ft high warm up flame always gave me a bit of pucker factor.
Coming up from Florida cooking on the propane stove most nights for two months and our 5# bottle is not empty yet. We don’t use the oven.

Last edited:
I recently voted with my feet and pulled out the electric and finally went with propane. Love it. Now when I start my genny in the morning, I’m just getting a full charge and not competing with breakfast.

Years ago, I loved my pressurized alcohol stove. However most of the systems were aging and most of my peers were not doing simple rebuilds of aging seals. The stove started easily, burned hot, easy to carry weeks of fuel and I never worried about fire when the flame was out. However, when they were more common, I also evolved the firm opinion that most humans were not sufficiently equipped to be able to own one safely. The volume and frequency of close calls, burnt curtains, ceilings and other completely dumb stuff was astounding. Don’t think you could remotely make even a non pressure alcohol stove safe in today’s lax culture where it’s life’s responsibility to keep you safe, not your own. Sorry alcohol, I treated you with respect and you served me faithfully, but your time is over.

I had a sailboat 35 years ago that had an alcohol stove. I had a fire. I felt the warmth before a saw any fire. It took me hours to clean up the fire extinghisher residue. Needless to say, I will never have an alcohol stove on my boat.

Been There

We’ve had sail boats with alcohol and cng systems, and power boats with propane and genset systems. My advice would be to find a trawler you like with a genset. This will extend your time on the hook by charging the batteries and providing hot water for showers,etc. If you’re worried about morning coffee, a small butane single burner unit, that uses fuel cylinders, should work fine. We purchased one from Smart & Final several years ago. It works great, and the fuel cylinders are cheap, and seem very safe. Much easier than filling a 5# propane tank. We currently have a Keurig that runs off the inverter, but that’s a lot more bucks. Searching for a new boat is a happy time. Best of luck.

When we were shopping for a full time liveaboard and cruising boat (one that would spend the majority of time on a mooting or anchored) , a galley with a complete array of full sized appliances was a "must have". Frankly, it didn't matter to us whether the oven and range were electric or propane. We had chartered boats with either, and had homes with either as well.

We ended up with all electric, including toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, seperate laundry washer and dryers. We made sure the generator was large enough to handle all the loads on the boat running at will, including the 4000 watt inverter/charger I installed afterwards. Worked out great. Other than in very hot, or cold, weather, we typically ran the genset for an hour or two in the morning and evening, using those hours to put various of those appliances to use, in addition to running the various battery chargers and water heater.

I should note in reference to another thread here, the panels on the boat were properly configured in the first place so no need for manual load balancing or management of any kind. All in all, it was a wonderful life!

I don't have a problem with propane, and one of the boats (a sailboat) that I am considering comes with a propane stove as standard equipment.

Just wanted to add that if you are considering an older boat with propane, make sure the entire system is inspected as part of the survey. I have seen surveys of several high-quality, older (1980's) built sailboats where the propane delivery systems were tagged during surveys.

Jim

Afraid of Propane?

I have used propane for years, first in my sailboat and now in my trawler. Having a functioning solenoid on your propane tank with an on-off switch next to your stove with a warning light to tell you to turn off the propane after cooking is step one for safety. We just had the sniffer system install in the GB, it is neat and wonderful and is another layer of protection, but the bottom line is: TURN OFF THE PROPANE AFTER USING THE STOVE. If you are still mortified by propane, but want to warm up your coffee and do not like to run the genset, and hate pouring alcohol all over the place, do this: Get a two-burner Coleman propane camp stove and a bunch of the little green canisters. Mount the stove somewhere in your boat so it does not look funky, but where you can screw on the canister. You can also have an extension hose for the canister. After cooking your morning or evening repast, remove the cannister and put it outside in a storage box with the others. Keep them in a shaded place. One cannister will cook SEVERAL significant meals.

"but the bottom line is: TURN OFF THE PROPANE AFTER USING THE STOVE."

To be sure a wind up timer installed in the solenoid power line can help if you are forgetful.

Electric/Propane

My last boat had a great electrical system, large battery bank, large inverter, gen set, micro/convect oven, could do everything except roast a turkey on inverter. Now have a boat with my first propane system, and I really prefer it over the electric, but we do close the valve each time after cooking.

Back
Top Bottom