Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

City: Bohemia
Albin 40 Trawler

I have been on my boat quest for 1 year now. I started out looking at the Nordic 32, then the Integrity 36, then the Horizon 35, then back to the Nordic 32 and finally the Nordic 37. Now, I have been looking at the Albin 40 Trawler. in the 2005/2008 range. The interior looks wonderful. The thing that concerns me with twin engines is engine access. There are 2-370HP Volvo's are in the one 2006 I have seen. A Nordic 37, 2004, has a 220 HP Cummins. That's a big difference in HP. Does anyone have info on fuel burn and engine access on this boat or maybe a similar Albin. Albins have a mixed reputation, IMO. Some people say they develop leaks around the ports, some love them. I'm sure there are many opinions out there, that's why I post on this site. I also have many of my own opinions and I'm not afraid to voice them. I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
I have been on my boat quest for 1 year now. I started out looking at the Nordic 32, then the Integrity 36, then the Horizon 35, then back to the Nordic 32 and finally the Nordic 37. Now, I have been looking at the Albin 40 Trawler. in the 2005/2008 range. The interior looks wonderful. The thing that concerns me with twin engines is engine access. There are 2-370HP Volvo's are in the one 2006 I have seen. A Nordic 37, 2004, has a 220 HP Cummins. That's a big difference in HP. Does anyone have info on fuel burn and engine access on this boat or maybe a similar Albin. Albins have a mixed reputation, IMO. Some people say they develop leaks around the ports, some love them. I'm sure there are many opinions out there, that's why I post on this site. I also have many of my own opinions and I'm not afraid to voice them. I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
Albins have been built in several places by several controlling entities.

They are all over the place in quality but ultimately "cared for" counts for all, some more so.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
An Albin 40 should have enough beam to accommodate twins fairly easily.

Fuel consumption is almost entirely dependent on the weight of the boat and the speed that you cruise at. The Albin 40 is heavier than the others you mentioned and has the horsepower to go faster. QED, it will burn more fuel than the others. At the same displacement speed fuel burn will be proportional to the weight difference to the others.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote