Alaskan Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkside

Vessel Name
Ahi
Vessel Make
Roger Hill Powercat
An earthquake being reported down here at 8.2 and quite shallow off the Aleutians. Take care in the PNW

Yikes just got checked tnto our Juneau hotel for www.nwexplorations com. Any chance it could or for that matter any earthquake out their affect us here in Juneau?

8.2 is pretty severe , I always worry that any good shake on the "ring of fire" might pop other quakes loose.

Some quakes are "overdue" .

USCG Sector Juneau issued a tsunami warning for as far south as Cape Decision (south of Sitka) on channel 16. I was south of that so went back to sleep after noting that the watch stander pronounced Seward "Seaward". Apparently there was quite a traffic jam of people leaving Seward.

Last edited:
URGENT NEWS FLASH.
California just broke off and is now sinking. :(

We were asleep at anchor in Cascade Bay (Prince William Sound) when the warning came in. A nearby sailboat swung by yelling and honking their horn to wake us, we pulled anchor, and headed for deep water, where we drifted for a couple hours until the all clear. Unnerving but good practice I suppose. Glad there was no wave!

URGENT NEWS FLASH.
California just broke off and is now sinking. :(

Not news. It's been happening for a long long time. The mountainous southern rim of the Kenai Peninsula; Kenai Fjords, Seldovia, etc is a piece of Cape Mendocino, headed to Japan at about 1cm/year I am told.

We were asleep at anchor in Cascade Bay (Prince William Sound) when the warning came in. A nearby sailboat swung by yelling and honking their horn to wake us, we pulled anchor, and headed for deep water, where we drifted for a couple hours until the all clear. Unnerving but good practice I suppose. Glad there was no wave!

We are over in Bainbridge passage today

Learned from bitter experience.

Yep, the warning systems were put in place to avert another tragedy like we experienced in 64, as you are well aware as a Alaskan yourself

BTW we were just down port bainbridge, from where you took that photo of my dogs and I, very exposed to any tsunami.

Thank goodness for satellite communications!

Last edited:
I was in Seward working on my boat that's on the hard. Could feel the quake, which lasted a really long time, though not violent. Evacuated around 10:30pm and drove up the highway out of town a couple of miles to higher ground. Finally got the all-clear around 12:30am. A very interesting night. I need a nap.

The oral history of the Haisla (First Nations people who live in Kitamaat/Kitimat) say that when they first arrived here, it was nothing but scrub brush from the high tide line to where the trees were big enough to get wood for masks.

That spot is 5.5 Kilometres inland over flat and pretty much level ground. Japan's tsunami went 10K inland.

About 1/3 of the people in Kitimat live 'down the hill' at about sea level. We live 'up the hill' atop about a 75' high alluvial fan from a retreating glacier.

With such a narrow, long, steep sided channel here, even being mid channel could be really hairy if a tsunami marches up the channel :eek:

Last edited:
:)
Coastline now doubled! :socool:

HAH! Think of the real estate opportunities in Modesto or Merced! I've got dibs on the Owens Valley Marina.

There used to be a very large mural in Los Angeles depicting a shattered over pass on I-10 and the sea lapping at a sign "YUMA NEXT EXIT".

Last edited:

HAH! Think of the real estate opportunities in Modesto or Merced! I've got dibs on the Owens Valley Marina.

There used to be a very large mural in Los Angeles depicting a shattered over pass on I-10 and the sea lapping at a sign "YUMA NEXT EXIT".

I've been waiting for that my whole life.California could be a nice place to live after the tsunami.

There would finally be a reason to visit Stateline, NV!

Without all that irrigation and people siphoning water out of the Colorado River, maybe it would make it to the ocean once again :hide:

Last edited:
I was in Seward working on my boat that's on the hard. Could feel the quake, which lasted a really long time, though not violent. Evacuated around 10:30pm and drove up the highway out of town a couple of miles to higher ground. Finally got the all-clear around 12:30am. A very interesting night. I need a nap.

I bet that was something to see! I hear the sirens test, but cannot imagine the scene a real warning must have created.

There was an earthquake/tsunami? We were deep in a bay in SEAK. Did not know of the earthquake until we got into cell range the next day.

There are also a lot of USCG relay towers that are "down for maintenance "

Little scary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom