Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
We keep our boat in Ketchikan and with the cruising season coming up wondered what the current status of going from port to port is like?

It was mentioned on here (forget which thread) that Alaska is not permitting travel from port to port due to the distance and scarcity of any type medical facilities in any of the remote towns. They are doing all they can to prevent the COVID spread to those areas.

Ron, You should send a PM to Al in Kechikan, who could tell you what's happening there. His TF handle is Al.

If they do loosen the travel bans at least fuel will be cheap. (If anything is cheap in Alaska)

Good luck on your travel plans

pete

Travel ban is still in place for the communities here in SE, that includes coming in from out of Alaska and between ports in Alaska. Fuel prices have not come down, and there are still food and supply shortages in many areas.
I will be blunt, and this is just my opinion, but until the situation changes it would be stupid and selfish to plan on coming here to do recreational boating.

I can’t speak for Ketchikan, but in Wrangell you have to quarantine on your boat for 2 weeks when you arrive. If you leave port and do not go to any other port, you can return to Wrangell without having to quarantine again. I have two friends who base out of Wrangell that are doing that now. The local economy needs the income from the recreational boaters as well as commercial fishing. One of the two processors in Wrangell will not open this year, a decision made before COVID-19.

Tom

Travel ban is still in place for the communities here in SE, that includes coming in from out of Alaska and between ports in Alaska. Fuel prices have not come down, and there are still food and supply shortages in many areas.
I will be blunt, and this is just my opinion, but until the situation changes it would be stupid and selfish to plan on coming here to do recreational boating.

Yes, what he said.
we have 14 day quarantine if coming from anyplace else.

Though I have noticed a marked uptick in activity, mostly small F/V in the last week.

Fuel price in Wrangell has come all the way down to $3.22/gal

I do think people will be cruising this summer, but like everyplace, it will be greatly reduced from "normal".
But the sun was out for a few days.:dance:

BTW, Good looking boat.:smitten:

St. Paul is closed to all boats except those home ported there, boats delivering snow crab or dropping or picking up pots, and those bringing fuel or cargo containers.
Dutch Harbor and Kodiak are open to local boats, everyone else arriving have a 14 day quarantine from the date they left their last port.

Attachments

• Kodiak Covid19 Mariner Flyer.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
This came out today, I would think by June when most boaters start arriving
in AK things should be near normal.

Alaska: Governor Unveils Path to Reopening Alaskan Economy and CARES Act Funding for Alaska Communities - Alaska Governor Mike Dunleavy today unveiled Phase One of the State’s approach to reopening segments of the Alaskan economy.
Beginning Friday, April 24, 2020, the following businesses and industries may reopen, following rigorous health and safety standards:
Restaurants – limited dine-in services
Retail Stores – limited in-store shopping
Personal Services Businesses (ie. barbers, nail salons, hairdressers) – limited services
Non-Essential Businesses (ie. professional business services) – limited services

Here are the latest updates on Alaska Health Mandates:

Commissioner Crum addressed revisions to various health mandates:
Health Mandate 10: The 14-day quarantine for incoming travelers to Alaska will be extended to May 19, and this will be evaluated on a weekly basis for cases coming into state.
Health Mandate 11: Social distancing of six feet between people who are not part of the same household is extended until further notice.
Health Mandate 12: Intrastate travel ban <sic> is extended until further notice. This means no casual travel between communities in Alaska. For those traveling for fishing or hunting, they are not to engage in commerce in communities outside their hometowns.

I saw the video new conference yesterday. Hope all goes well. Alaska Airlines just cancelled a number of flights going to Alaska. Currently there is one flight daily to Southeast Alaska. Appreciate all the input from people up there. Stay safe!

Hi Ron.

Thanks for starting this thread, was just going to start inquiring as to SE Alaska summer cruising situation.

Stay tuned, stay safe.

Jay N

WOW no ferries, cruise ships and no scheduled airline. All we need now is to move the State government to Anchorage and SE can return back to a pristine place again.

Ron, You should send a PM to Al in Kechikan, who could tell you what's happening there. His TF handle is Al.

:flowers:Hi Ken, Ron did contact me and I gave him the status at that juncture , now after that conversation, there is a ban on community to community travel, however, the binders are loosing up I would suspect by normal cruise dates of June going out, the situation will have disapated, Our Governor is moving swiftly to open the state up.
What will be the corker, will be B.C. Canada. The Canadian government appears to be more stringent minded so I can not really project the schedule of actions to open up from that standpoing.
All in all, a disaster for the economics and freedoms we were once enjoying.
It is a crap shoot for sure on when and what to do on anticipated voyaging to the far North.
Surely as information of worth is released or reported, I will gladly pass it on and hopefuily with links of confirmation.
Regards
Al-Ketchikan

:flowers:Hi Ken, Ron did contact me and I gave him the status at that juncture , now after that conversation, there is a ban on community to community travel, however, the binders are loosing up I would suspect by normal cruise dates of June going out, the situation will have disapated, Our Governor is moving swiftly to open the state up.
What will be the corker, will be B.C. Canada. The Canadian government appears to be more stringent minded so I can not really project the schedule of actions to open up from that standpoing.
All in all, a disaster for the economics and freedoms we were once enjoying.
It is a crap shoot for sure on when and what to do on anticipated voyaging to the far North.
Surely as information of worth is released or reported, I will gladly pass it on and hopefuily with links of confirmation.
Regards
Al-Ketchikan

Thanks Al....very helpful. :thumb:

Just contacted Alaska Airlines to check on our flights and found out that they only have one flight from Seattle to Southeast. They did not contact us as to the change. Double check if you have any flights. The current flight leaves Seattle at 6:45 am, which means overnight in Seattle. That schedule is for May no information on June flights. I feel for the small communities that will miss out on revenue from recreational boating.

Back
Top Bottom