Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

AIS/VHF question

Finally installing an AIS, but I am unclear on the required antenna setup. The unit is a Sitex and it suggests a VHF splitter. However, the installer says that the AIS requires a slightly different frequency, so advises a new and separate antenna. This is certainly doable, but a pita, so my question is for those with AIS, do you use a splitter, and have you ever had any problems as a result?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Use a splitter. You will have some signal loss, but not enough to worry about.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Most units use a pass through where the VHF goes through the AIS. I would at least try it with the splitter.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I have a sitex and use a splitter. No problem whatsoever.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Thanks all! That is kind of what I thought, but I think my installer is a bit of a perfectionist...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
I used a separate antenna. If you have a transceiver the most likely place for a failure will be the splitter. Why take a chance on safety to save the cost of another antenna and a little work.

If all you have is a receiver, go with the splitter.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Hardly a PITA, much less bother than routing ship's power. One cable clam, three screw holes. 20 minute job.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #8

All boat jobs start out at 20 minutes. It is just how many multiples you use.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #9
Guru

I had a Vesper Marine AIS transponder installed this year. It required a separate VHF antenna AND a separate GPS antenna (included with the unit). I am very happy with the configuration :-)
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #10

I believe it is a requirement for any AIS transmitter to have its own GPS receiver. It cannot use data from a shared GPS receiver for some reason.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #11
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I had our Vesper AIS on an amplified Vesper splitter that was connected to a run of the mill VHF antenna. Now I've reconfigured the antennas so that the AIS is on the antenna by itself & I can't tell any difference although I don't know what difference antennas and splitters could make concerning reception other than maybe distance. I'm not too concerned about long range targets.
AIS uses a frequency that is on the high end of a regular vhf antennas capability but again, I can't tell much difference between a regular VHF antenna and an AIS antenna that's made exclusively to work in the AIS frequency.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #12
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
I used a separate antenna. If you have a transceiver the most likely place for a failure will be the splitter. Why take a chance on safety to save the cost of another antenna and a little work.

If all you have is a receiver, go with the splitter.
Sounds like good advice to me also

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I had a Vesper Marine AIS transponder installed this year. It required a separate VHF antenna AND a separate GPS antenna (included with the unit). I am very happy with the configuration :-)
I have a Digital Yacht (DY) transceiver. I also have the combo GPS/VHF antenna in a little 6 inch antenna. Works well, though in my laziness i mounted it pretty low on the fly-bridge cowling.

I don't believe my DY cares about the source. I like having many sources for my travels. My AIS data is displayed using Coastal Explorer on my 24" monitors. I can change the input for GPS if I so choose, since the Maretron data, with GPS and compass are also in input.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
A really good splitter (Vesper @ $260) is speced at about 1dB of Transmit loss, on both VHF and AIS. That's like adding 20 feet of RG8x to your coax line. Also, when you transmit, the AIS function will be lost. This should be a minor issue. Saying that, since the cost of a decent splitter is much more than a AIS antenna, I go with the separate antenna. My 17' runabout has a separate ais antenna.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I have the same unit. Separate VHF and GPS antenna. The splitter was more expensive, and don't believe mounting the separate antenna took more that 20 minutes.

One advantage to the splitter might be a higher antennae, which on a sail boat would be signifiant rather than climbing up there to mount another antenna.

Mine works fine with the VHF antenna about 15ft above the water. My VHF antennas for the radio are about 5 ft higher.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Your electronics installer is correct. Separate whips for the VHF and AIS is the preferred method. And, an adequate separation distance between the two should be maintained.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I have a Raymarine AIS650 Class B with a Raymarine 100 Active VHF/AIS Splitter & Existing VHF antenna. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
marine traffic.png  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
A really good splitter (Vesper @ $260) is speced at about 1dB of Transmit loss, on both VHF and AIS. That's like adding 20 feet of RG8x to your coax line. Also, when you transmit, the AIS function will be lost. This should be a minor issue. Saying that, since the cost of a decent splitter is much more than a AIS antenna, I go with the separate antenna. My 17' runabout has a separate ais antenna.
That's good feedback, thanks. Since we use VHF to transmit about once every three months, and since those who use splitters seem to see no issue with performance, I'll probably go that route and follow Sitex's guidance on installation that splitters are fine as long as they are rated for transmission.

And I do wish adding an antenna was a 20 minute job, but alas....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
An advantage of having a separate antenna is that now you have two. You can move the VHF to the AIS antenna if you ever need to.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
An advantage of having a separate antenna is that now you have two. You can move the VHF to the AIS antenna if you ever need to.
That would be an advantage. However, I've found that off shore, the odd ship you encounter frequently doesn't respond to VHF, and in shore other boats only sometimes do. We keep the VHF on for safety, and put up with the 100db DSC alarm that causes you to snort your coffee when someone's 10 year explores what the red button on daddy's radio does but rarely use it. So a small loss of utility in the VHF doesn't worry me too much, and it sounds like those with appropriate splitters don't see much downside to combining antennas.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote