Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Don't understand the issue. Don't these AIS transceivers have be be programed by an expert dealer. And if they don't know that a SeaRay just isn't 90 feet long they should get another job.

In many cases the buyer fills out a form with the info, sends it to the dealer (often a mailorder dealer) who programs according to the info the buyer provided.

Measurement are all in meters which is the standard for all first world, second world, and third world countries except one. I'm sure lots of people fill out "90" for their 90' SeaRay.

The other thing that confuses people who are not paying attention is that the dimensions actually locate the GPS on the boat, and are not a simple length and width. You provide the GPS's distance from the bow, distance from the stern, distance from the stbd side, and distance from the port side. That confounds a lot of people.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #22
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Don't understand the issue. Don't these AIS transceivers have be be programed by an expert dealer. And if they don't know that a SeaRay just isn't 90 feet long they should get another job.
A "technician" configuring a boat gizmo wrong? NO, say it ain't SO!

Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Park City
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
I've seen it all. No vessel name, Length exaggerated or non existent, incorrect position on boat. I totally understand when I see a target going in reverse. Most of the time it is a ferry in Nantucket Sound. But sideways? An incorrect target is a sure sign that someone on that boat is not experienced and should be closly monitored.
AnnapolisJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #24

City: Tellico Lake, TN
Vessel Name: Tellico Lady
Vessel Model: 50' Marine Trader Walkaround
I have the Matsutec HP-33A transponder and I love it. It includes the best GPS antenna I have ever used, and even locks on under the metal roof of our marina. Its software has an easy place to input all the parameters you need, and if you are in the USA like I am, you can get your MMSI from BoatUS online. I have no financial affiliation with Matsutec, just love their products.
Trawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Watertown
Vessel Name: Daruma One
Vessel Model: Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Most unit's are no problem changing the name & vessel dimensions but the big hoop you'll need to jump through is changing the MMSI number or getting the PO to release the existing number to you.
You have to get a new boat call sign which does not come with the boat, and then You can get an MMSI to get the AIS configured for your boat.

The quickest way to get a call sign that I know of anyway is to apply to the FCC for a Restricted Radiotelephone Licence. "RR" licence. Once you have this licence you can apply to the FCC again for a call sign for your vessel. Having a call sign will also give you an MMSI number. There are fees involved in doing this, but the RR licence is good for life. The call sign may be good for 10 years, but I don't have the information in front of me, so I'm not positive about that.
You can also get an MMSI from Boat US I believe, but that is only good for
U.S. waters. The regular FCC licence (RR) is good for international voyages and will also allow the use of an SSB radio. Even operating a VHF radio in foreign countries is iffy without a licence. No licence required to operate it in the U.S. waters.
Oldsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisJoy View Post
I've seen it all. No vessel name, Length exaggerated or non existent, incorrect position on boat. I totally understand when I see a target going in reverse. Most of the time it is a ferry in Nantucket Sound. But sideways? An incorrect target is a sure sign that someone on that boat is not experienced and should be closly monitored.
Sideways... makes me wonder if there's not a problem with their heading sensor. As in, someone stowed something metal near it. Definitely puts the vessel into the 'assume nothing and steer clear' category for me, too.