AICW in SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColonyCove

Vessel Name
The Blue Comet
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs/ NT32
After a couple of years as landlubbers we found it necessary to get another boat. Went down to Charleston SC and became our own delivery captains to our NC waters. Two interesting observations about the AICW in SC, 1. The tide is always against you, and 2. there is no water in the waterway. We have heard rumors of a captain who once had a favorable tide, but chalk this up to sailors tall-tales. I have no idea how sailboats make it through this waterway, many times were were just sliding over sand. Nevertheless, good trip of four long days and great to be back on the water. Only needed three bridge openings.

... there is no water in the waterway. ....... I have no idea how sailboats make it through this waterway, many times were were just sliding over sand.

Which parts were you having issues?

Charleston to Winyah?

Winyah to Little River inlet?

AICW north of Waccamaw?

There's 20-30 in the Waccamaw River for quite a way north of Winyah.

Where were you having soft groundings?

Aicw

Actually some spots had plenty of water, like the Cape Fear River. Inlets to the Atlantic seemed to be the biggest nuisance. Marked channels were only marginally helpful at inlets. Local knowledge is probably a very good thing, but this was our first trip from Charleston to NC. Several soft groundings, never got stuck; grateful coast was not rocky.

Actually some spots had plenty of water, like the Cape Fear River. Inlets to the Atlantic seemed to be the biggest nuisance. Marked channels were only marginally helpful at inlets. Local knowledge is probably a very good thing, but this was our first trip from Charleston to NC. Several soft groundings, never got stuck; grateful coast was not rocky.

Were these areas not accurately reflected on your charts?

Were these areas not accurately reflected on your charts?

Not really. 7-9 foot charted depths were actually more like 1-2. Some spots actually had auxiliary buoys placed. The biggest problem is that charts do not indicate the need for dredging in some areas as channels fill in.

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience. Many are now using the Aqua Map Master iPad app which includes USACE survey overlays on the ICW.

I have a friend who took the ICW from Charleston to Southport in one day in a Sabre 48 with no issues.

How did yid you do at the intersection with the New River!

The stretch from Charleston to Winyah Bay was dredged last year. The Inlet across from McClellanville shoals that area, but other than that more than 7' at low tide and more than 10' at low tide for over 90%. As with most areas that don't see tug and barge traffic is probably only 100' wide. Also, the day marks in many places are outside the dredged channel.

I went through there in the middle of May and other than McClellanville, found it refreshingly deep. I travel that route twice a year, so know when to stay off the day marks for deepest water.

Regarding the tide, starting near low tide in Charleston, works well for me going North.

From Winyah bay to Southport, NC sees tug and barge traffic. Doubt there is less than 7' at low tide for that whole stretch.

If you plan to revisit the area Waterway guide and Aqua Maps on a tablet or phone is very good for updates on trouble areas.

Ted

How did yid you do at the intersection with the New River!

New River to Onslow Beach bridge and beyond to the troublesome section North of the bridge where the"S" turn was, has all been dredged over the winter.

Ted

New River to Onslow Beach bridge and beyond to the troublesome section North of the bridge where the"S" turn was, has all been dredged over the winter.

Ted

Great to know. We went through that turn to Jacksonville at springs low water and it was a nightmare morning's cruise.

Not really. 7-9 foot charted depths were actually more like 1-2. Some spots actually had auxiliary buoys placed. The biggest problem is that charts do not indicate the need for dredging in some areas as channels fill in.

If you were seeing 1-2'.... that was your problem. :)

We never saw less than 5½' and usually more like 6-7' minimums throughout SC and NC this last winter. No touchee...

Did happen we were suing Aqua Map USA/Master too, though, along with our other nav stuff.

-Chris

For years I had boats hailing me and warning me of shallows all up and down the ICW.

Most if the time I never saw less than 6-7 feet of water as I continued....even before many of the "problem areas" that later were dredged.

Being an assistance tower on the worst stretch of NJICW for almost 15 years gave me an appreciation of how to read water and realize many boaters really cant....thus the regular reports of shallow water in stretches where another boater just was reading adequate depths.

The stretch from Charleston to Winyah Bay was dredged last year. The Inlet across from McClellanville shoals that area, but other than that more than 7' at low tide and more than 10' at low tide for over 90%. As with most areas that don't see tug and barge traffic is probably only 100' wide. Also, the day marks in many places are outside the dredged channel.

I went through there in the middle of May and other than McClellanville, found it refreshingly deep. I travel that route twice a year, so know when to stay off the day marks for deepest water.

Regarding the tide, starting near low tide in Charleston, works well for me going North.

From Winyah bay to Southport, NC sees tug and barge traffic. Doubt there is less than 7' at low tide for that whole stretch.

This is why I was curious WHERE these soft groundings occurred. My parents have been in Murrells Inlet for almost 15 years. I'm fairly familiar with the area, both in the inlet and the Waccamaw River down to Georgetown, and a ways north on the Little River.

I know it is common in some places, such as Winyah Bay, where there is a confluence of the inlet markers and the ICW markers. You really have to be aware of which set of markers you're following and 'stay in your lane' so to speak. The sandbars shift through there and hugging markers is usually a bad idea. Cutting markers (intentionally or accidentally (Of which the latter is common) is often disastrous.

You can wind pretty far back in those canals in the low country well off of the ICW as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom