Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Last time I was down there, I noticed that manatees have very good taste in real estate. The manatee zones are prominent along the better neighborhoods. There aren't nearly as many in the areas of lower property values. Those manatees are pretty clever animals!
Darn. We don't have any in our neighborhood.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Each state has its own regulations and sometimes cities will have No-Wake zones or other restrictions. Often, they are unclear.

I got stopped (but not cited) for going under a bridge too fast in VA. My normal cruising speed is 7 knots but I had just fuelled up and left the marina and had not gotten back up to 7 knots yet.

LEO said all bridges in VA were no-wake, marked or not. She gave me a warning.

There is a law in SC that requires no wake within 50' of a dock, boat ramp, and (I believe) another boat. 50' is nothing on the water but it's seldom enforced anyway.

Along the stretch where the OP was complaining about there is a home with an artificial man standing on the wall next to the ICW waving at people.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Last time I was down there, I noticed that manatees have very good taste in real estate. The manatee zones are prominent along the better neighborhoods. There aren't nearly as many in the areas of lower property values. Those manatees are pretty clever animals!
I've heard that claim before but there's one long manatee zone on the ICW in FL that's lined with trailer parks and fish camps. We saw many manatees there.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Well now, one other way to look at that is that the well-heeled homes have docks, and manatees just love themselves a dock.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
LEO said all bridges in VA were no-wake, marked or not.
I thought that was also the case here in NC when discussing it on another forum, however, I was unable to find any documentation to back that up. I will try to remember to ask USCG next time we are boarded or see them at a boat show or gas dock.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I thought that was also the case here in NC when discussing it on another forum, however, I was unable to find any documentation to back that up. I will try to remember to ask USCG next time we are boarded or see them at a boat show or gas dock.
If it's a state law you should ask state authorities.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Dont waste time asking Coasties, the only no wake at the federal level I believe is above 300 tons. They might know. But I wouldnt trust any LEOs statement....only in writing.

Ask state guys if anyone and the reference.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Dont waste time asking Coasties, the only no wake at the federal level I believe is above 300 tons. They might know.....but I wouldnt trust any LEOs statement....only in writing.

Ask state guys if anyone and the reference.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CT. "...pretty clever animals!" Absolutely! I vaguely recall slow/no wake/manatee zones where on weekends, it was perfectly fine to zoom along at any speed (maybe less than 30mph). So the manatee's can read as well AND know what day of the week it is. I think one area is along the Rio Barcelona Canal in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
. So the manatee's can read as well AND know what day of the week it is. I think one area is along the Rio Barcelona Canal in Ft. Lauderdale.
Wifey B: Absolutely, we've got the smartest Manatee's.

Honestly, I seldom see one and we actually have a watersports zone.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
Guru

Wifey B: Just for you, RTF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mz_bs_zone_overlaps 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	69737

Click image for larger version

Name:	mz_bs_zone_overlaps 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	69738

Nothing specific to the canal, just the area outside it.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #32
Guru

Wifey B: So, we have a no wake zone, weekends only. We have a Manatee zone, weekends for 5 months and a 25 mph buffer other times and we have a watersports zone with no wake over 21' but 35 mph speed limit if pulling skiers and under 21' and we have a no Manatee protection zone.

Our zones overlap and change every few hundred feet with of course a bridge in each direction and a few marinas.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
California law regardless of no-wake zones:

"Speed is limited by law for certain conditions and areas. The maximum speed for motorboats within 100 feet of a bather (but not a water skier) and within 200 feet of a bathing beach, swimming float, diving platform or lifeline, passenger landing being used, or landing where boats are tied up is 5 miles per hour.

"A safe speed should be maintained at all times so that: (1) action can be taken to avoid collision; and (2) your boat can stop within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions. In restricted visibility, motorboats should have the engines ready for immediate maneuvering. You should be prepared to stop the vessel within the space of half the distance of forward visibility."
Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Look closely at the local laws. If, for example, the regional (typically State) law says "No wake 200 ft from Shore (or dock, or raft)", then there is no need to post a sign indicating 'No Wake' when a channel puts traffic less than 200 feet from shore, or dock, or raft.

We can't assume that a wake is allowed unless otherwise posted. That is simply not the case. The same applies to narrow channels. If a law states no wake 100 ft from another vessel underway, and you're in a channel that is only 100 feet wide, you're still compelled to pass at No Wake, even if there is no posted signage.

Also, just because every else is doing it, doesn't make it right.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #35
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
That's nonsense. I see lots of manatees near industrial areas that have warm water outfalls, canals that connect two waterways, freshwater springs that run to the sea and even in residence at a marina. My buddy has a double wide on a small river near Tarpon Springs that has visiting manatees almost every day. I wouldn't call a trailer park a 'better neighborhood'. Although I'm not sayin' there's anything wrong with that. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	69739
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
That's nonsense. I see lots of manatees near industrial areas that have warm water outfalls, canals that connect two waterways, freshwater springs that run to the sea and even in residence at a marina. My buddy has a double wide on a small river near Tarpon Springs that has visiting manatees almost every day. I wouldn't call a trailer park a 'better neighborhood'. Although I'm not sayin' there's anything wrong with that. Attachment 69739
Wifey B: Actually Manatees appear to be doing quite well today. Quite a lot of controversy over them being dropped from the endangered species list.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Look closely at the local laws. If, for example, the regional (typically State) law says "No wake 200 ft from Shore (or dock, or raft)", then there is no need to post a sign indicating 'No Wake' when a channel puts traffic less than 200 feet from shore, or dock, or raft.

We can't assume that a wake is allowed unless otherwise posted. That is simply not the case. The same applies to narrow channels. If a law states no wake 100 ft from another vessel underway, and you're in a channel that is only 100 feet wide, you're still compelled to pass at No Wake, even if there is no posted signage.
And that's a problem because those of us who cruise may travel through several different states. Boating laws are less uniform than (auto) traffic laws.

So in one state it's 50 feet and the next it's 200 feet. Not only do we not know the law, there's often not sign indicating that we've passed from one state to another.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Actually Manatees appear to be doing quite well today. Quite a lot of controversy over them being dropped from the endangered species list.
But do we want to run over them regardless?

We were in a marina on the west coast of FL and there was a lagoon where manatees were swimming and playing (or having sex, we couldn't tell). The Sea Dog swam with them and loved it..

But, nearly every one we saw had propeller scars on its back.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
But do we want to run over them regardless?

We were in a marina on the west coast of FL and there was a lagoon where manatees were swimming and playing (or having sex, we couldn't tell). The Sea Dog swam with them and loved it..

But, nearly every one we saw had propeller scars on its back.
Wifey B: I don't want to run over anything.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

So in one state it's 50 feet and the next it's 200 feet. Not only do we not know the law, there's often not sign indicating that we've passed from one state to another.
So, as responsible persons, we should make an effort to become familiar with the boating laws of the jurisdictions we visit and be aware we're at.