Aground at Ocracoke: Owner's Statement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a previous news article he was quoted: “It was nice and calm yesterday and I wanted to make up some time,” he said. So, they left the Intracoastal at Morehead City and took to the ocean. Around 7:30 p.m., after it got dark, Scott decided they should overnight in Ocracoke and turned into the Ocracoke Inlet.

“Then the steering kept turning me around,” he said. He headed for a red beacon, “but the beach got in between, and I wasn’t moving anymore.”

That and another article where he was quoted led me to believe he didn’t plan to go to Ocracoke but more of a bailout. So it wasn’t clear what his actual intentions were. Ocracoke wouldn’t be on my itinerary for a first time, at night, in a new to me much larger boat than I ever owned.

The extraction was estimated to cost $100,000 and he wasn’t sure his insurance was going to cover it. They apparently didn’t give the ok, he went ahead anyway and he said he’d work it out with them later.

They just bought the boat and were taking it home from Florida. He has a positive attitude, I’ll give him that.

In a previous news article he was quoted: “It was nice and calm yesterday and I wanted to make up some time,” he said. So, they left the Intracoastal at Morehead City and took to the ocean. Around 7:30 p.m., after it got dark, Scott decided they should overnight in Ocracoke and turned into the Ocracoke Inlet.

“Then the steering kept turning me around,” he said. He headed for a red beacon, “but the beach got in between, and I wasn’t moving anymore.”

That and another article where he was quoted led me to believe he didn’t plan to go to Ocracoke but more of a bailout. So it wasn’t clear what his actual intentions were. Ocracoke wouldn’t be on my itinerary for a first time, at night, in a new to me much larger boat than I ever owned.

The extraction was estimated to cost $100,000 and he wasn’t sure his insurance was going to cover it. They apparently didn’t give the ok, he went ahead anyway and he said he’d work it out with them later.

They just bought the boat and were taking it home from Florida. He has a positive attitude, I’ll give him that.

In the chyron of this article is a link to another article about an Aussie couple who's 75-foot motoryacht was pushed ashore 300-feet by Hurricane Dorian. They have been slowly working it towards the sea while living on her over the last 29-months. Quite an amazing salvage.

https://loosecannon.substack.com/p/29-months-after-dorian-grounded-yacht?s=r

Peter

A series of bad choices there, beginning with "I wanted to make up some time," followed by the decision to stay outside past Morehead City. If you're going to do that, you'd better be ready to go way outside and stay out there 'til the way is clear to turn back west in toward Cape Henry and the Chesapeake Bay entrance. And while you're way outside off Cape Hatteras, "making up some time," be prepared for some of the most impressive seas to be experienced along the east coast of the U.S.

Then of course the decision to attempt a challenging inlet after dark. What could go wrong?

I read the linked article from the owner -

Just to clear up a couple things, at first I planned eight hours for a five-to-six hour trip.

Leaving the ICW from Morehead city, the seas were perfectly calm. I was supposed to be anchored at Silver Lake (the harbor at Ocracoke) before sunset. As many know, things don’t always go as planned, especially on the water.

The first thing, I was about half a mile from the inlet marker just prior to sunset when I had a steering failure, which left me with my bow thruster and both engines to navigate.​

Absolutely possible the owner's memory changed over time especially if an insurance claim were involved, but I'm inclined to read his words and at least feign benefit-of-the-doubt. Regardless, assuming he's not BS'ing about a steering failure, not sure I agree about bad choices, especially if the seas were calm as he reports.

For those who think a twin-screw boat can be steered in open water without rudders, think again. You can certainly reduce the randomness of their haphazard direction and drift, but 'steering' is a bit of a misnomer. Additionally, bow thrusters have an inverse relationship with speed of boat - faster the boat goes, the less effective they become. They become a noisy bauble at anything over 3-knots or so.

I think a more useful lessons-learned discussion is to take the owner at his word and surmise how you would avoid the same fate. The quick solution that comes to mind for me are options such as

1. Call Vessel Assist/TowBOAT US if you have a policy. If not, I hate to think of the tow cost. How many would have the cojones to cough-up $5k instead of giving it a whirl steering with twin engines?
  2. Try to repair. A couple weeks ago there was a thread on whether a drogue was useful. My takeaway was storm-rated gear is not needed, but drift-abatement to buy time during repairs makes sense. I'd guess 95% of steering failures are related to one of two things: fluid leak; or a bolt coming undone.

In my experiene, root cause analysis on major boating failures are rarely due to one thing. Rather, they are a cascade of small events that gather momentum and overwhelm you before you know it. All of a sudden, you're in too far.

Peter

The bow thruster is definitely pretty much worthless for steering. With twins, you'll be speed limited, but you can steer provided you can get the rudders close enough to straight. If they're stuck turned, you're toast. The biggest thing is that you're speed limited. The faster you try to go, the worse your steering ability will be. And if you need to turn more than a little, you'll end up slowing down in the turn. It's also not nearly as precise, so I wouldn't want to get into a tight situation to steer through while needing to maintain any reasonable forward speed (crosswinds would definitely be a problem in a tight space).

Wifey B: Sad and I feel bad for him, but......:ermm:

So many bad decisions and one leads to another stress induced mistake. Unfortunately, reminds me of a question elsewhere, which was "NY to Florida Keys, How Difficult Could This Trip be." Everyone gave all their knowledge and experience but other than my hubby they all missed the big point which is the captain's skills and experience. For those others starting out, these things must be pointed out. The answer is that the difficulty is based on the skills and experience of the captain.

More thorough shake down of boat prior to trip.

Tow membership and call when in trouble, before running aground. Call for help from CG or tow companies sooner rather than later.

Don't make expensive move without insurance approval and be sure what your insurance covers.

Don't try to enter where you're not very familiar after dark. When all else fails, anchor for the night and try again tomorrow.

Don't hurry to meet an artificial schedule.

Get knowledge of area and don't get bold and head outside from Morehead City. Least desirable area to run outside on entire coast.

For your learning period on a new boat, consider hiring a captain with more experience.

When faced with dilemma, don't speed up and rush things, slow down and sort it out.

Sorry to focus on the mistakes of his tragedy and want to make it clear I still feel very badly for him, but pointing these things out only as warnings for all the rest of us and lessons to be learned from him. :eek:

Wifey B: Sad and I feel bad for him, but......:ermm:

So many bad decisions and one leads to another stress induced mistake. Unfortunately, reminds me of a question elsewhere, which was "NY to Florida Keys, How Difficult Could This Trip be." Everyone gave all their knowledge and experience but other than my hubby they all missed the big point which is the captain's skills and experience. For those others starting out, these things must be pointed out. The answer is that the difficulty is based on the skills and experience of the captain.

More thorough shake down of boat prior to trip.

Tow membership and call when in trouble, before running aground. Call for help from CG or tow companies sooner rather than later.

Don't make expensive move without insurance approval and be sure what your insurance covers.

Don't try to enter where you're not very familiar after dark. When all else fails, anchor for the night and try again tomorrow.

Don't hurry to meet an artificial schedule.

Get knowledge of area and don't get bold and head outside from Morehead City. Least desirable area to run outside on entire coast.

For your learning period on a new boat, consider hiring a captain with more experience.

When faced with dilemma, don't speed up and rush things, slow down and sort it out.

Sorry to focus on the mistakes of his tragedy and want to make it clear I still feel very badly for him, but pointing these things out only as warnings for all the rest of us and lessons to be learned from him. :eek:

In all due respect, outside of some non-cited language in Post #2, all we really know is from the owners first-hand account in the OP's #1 link. Note that in that link he states that contrary to speculation, he left with plenty of time (8-hours to make a 5-hour passage), and in calm weather.

Here's why I'm calling out WifeyB (who I adore): When something like a grounding or collision occurs, the reflex is to dismiss/diminish it as the result of either inexperience or hubris. How else could someone run aground? Or drive a boat onto the rocks of Baja? Or T-Bone a ship in a shipping channel? Here's the danger of assuming the root-cause is inexperience when dismissing these as mistakes: All learning stops as the only lesson is to not do stupid stuff and to know the difference.

To me, the useful question in this grounding is "what if the Owner's account is accurate - he planned accordingly, weather was good. But he lost steering. Now what?" Suppose towing wasn't an option (really should be last-resort option). And suppose that not all owners of large motoryachts are inexperienced - that he had decent experience and knowledge. What should he have done?

Here's a likely scenario: day went exactly as planned until he lost steering. Choices were either call for a tow or see if he could make it. It's going to get dark so its either now or never - and if not now, then what? He gives it a try and finds he can steer fairly well with twins, a bit of thruster. Everything is cool until he's in the channel of the inlet and now has fixed markers (ATONs) to actually see how well he can steer which isn't nearly as good as he thought when he was a couple miles off. Also, as the water gets shallow, the waves/swell would increase further compounding steering.

So I ask, what would others do? I could easily see thinking I could adequately steer the boat and then finding out too late I couldn't. Scares the bejeezus out of me.

Peter

Last edited:
If weather wasn't deteriorating, jog offshore,
while trying to evaluate steering or
jog until light

assuming his radar was operational and had fuel to do so.

My Monday morning quarterbacking.

Plenty of people here with way more experience than me though.

I'm focused on this:

He headed for a red beacon, “but the beach got in between, and I wasn’t moving anymore.”

I'm aware of the shifting shoals of this area. There does seem to be a 'navigation failure' element to this debacle.

In all due respect, outside of some non-cited language in Post #2, all we really know is from the owners first-hand account in the OP's #1 link. Note that in that link he states that contrary to speculation, he left with plenty of time (8-hours to make a 5-hour passage), and in calm weather.

Here's why I'm calling out WifeyB (who I adore): When something like a grounding or collision occurs, the reflex is to dismiss/diminish it as the result of either inexperience or hubris. How else could someone run aground? Or drive a boat onto the rocks of Baja? Or T-Bone a ship in a shipping channel? Here's the danger of assuming the root-cause is inexperience when dismissing these as mistakes: All learning stops as the only lesson is to not do stupid stuff and to know the difference.

To me, the useful question in this grounding is "what if the Owner's account is accurate - he planned accordingly, weather was good. But he lost steering. Now what?" Suppose towing wasn't an option (really should be last-resort option). And suppose that not all owners of large motoryachts are inexperienced - that he had decent experience and knowledge. What should he have done?

Here's a likely scenario: day went exactly as planned until he lost steering. Choices were either call for a tow or see if he could make it. It's going to get dark so its either now or never - and if not now, then what? He gives it a try and finds he can steer fairly well with twins, a bit of thruster. Everything is cool until he's in the channel of the inlet and now has fixed markers (ATONs) to actually see how well he can steer which isn't nearly as good as he thought when he was a couple miles off. Also, as the water gets shallow, the waves/swell would increase further compounding steering.

So I ask, what would others do? I could easily see thinking I could adequately steer the boat and then finding out too late I couldn't. Scares the bejeezus out of me.

Peter

Peter,

With all due respect. His actions alone show both inexperience and total lack of trip planning. Not only are there a host of cruising guides available there’s also tons of free or low cost online tools available such as Active Captain, Waterway Guide etc.

The very fact that he went outside at Beaufort inlet northbound intending to come back inside at Ocracoke shows a complete lack of planning/judgement.

Any of the trip planning resources stress not to use Ocracoke, Hatteras or Oregon Inlets without both local knowledge and suitable boat.

John

John Clemen’s book “Contingency Seamanship” is an excellent read for all new and used captains/skipper/master or whatever the appropriate term is.

He gives several scenarios and then suggests a solution called “this is what I’d do” rather than saying “this is what you should do”.
It isn’t a reference book but a kick start to thinking about solutions to situations you may encounter.

I have two copies, one aboard and one at home. Arguably it is my most important book. Almost all nautical books fail to address WTSHTF except for a vague discussion of fire extinguishers and minor injuries. It is highly recommended by me but imma nobody.

Peter,

With all due respect. His actions alone show both inexperience and total lack of trip planning. Not only are there a host of cruising guides available there’s also tons of free or low cost online tools available such as Active Captain, Waterway Guide etc.

The very fact that he went outside at Beaufort inlet northbound intending to come back inside at Ocracoke shows a complete lack of planning/judgement.

Any of the trip planning resources stress not to use Ocracoke, Hatteras or Oregon Inlets without both local knowledge and suitable boat.

John

Okay......I don't know that coast. You assume that because he did it and failed he must be inexperienced. That's an unfair assumption - he lost steering. That sort of complicates things a bit. So for sake of argument, pick two benign inlets. You lose steering. You go aground. There is always an argument that somehow the fault should have been foreseen and failure to do so points to inadequacy of the helmsman. Therefore, if a person deems themself adequate, no harm will befall them. That's false logic.

So I will ask more bluntly: You are experienced (whatever that means) and arriving at an inlet in calm weather and you lose steering. What should you do?

Look, I've known some very experienced delivery captains who have lost boats. Guys who know a helluva lot more than I do (or did at the time). It really wobbled my confidence - if a guy with that experience lost a boat, what would I do? I each one of the well-publicized accidents there were legions of boaters who dismissed it as inattentiveness, as if it would never happen to them. It's tempting, but in my opinion, dangerous. To my thinking, failing to dig deeper is a hallmark of inexperience. I can tell you I had a couple of close calls that really humbled me. So when I see something like this, I try to ignore the natural impulse of 'gee, what a bonehead maneuver.' It serves no useful purpose, and in fact is counterproductive.

Peter

Peter

Wifey B: Peter....known facts. Lost steering. Outside at Morehead City. Dark. Boat new to him. I don't follow your "towing not an option, should be last option" comment. If he wasn't a member of a towing service, then serious mistake. Inexpensive and good coverage of the area he's boating in. Steering lost and you're in range rather than far off shore, call them. Fix the steering back at the dock. My point is to others and how to avoid his situation and trying to steer by engines and thruster in the dark into an area you're totally unfamiliar with just isn't a good choice.

Often we make the mistake of delaying our calls for help. When it's outside and sinking or fire, those delays lead to death rather than CG rescue. When it's inside, they lead to avoidable damage rather than the embarrassment of a tow.

Admittedly, we don't know it all and what he's said is still somewhat confusing and unclear. However, for others, I still say, you have nothing to prove to anyone and when in trouble, just slow down (mentally and physically) and seek help or advice or anything available. :)

I'm answering in the spirit of "if this happened to you, what would you do differently, now that you have hindsight into his situation." My answer is I'd call my tow service. If tow wasn't possible for some reason, I'd anchor before dark and wait until daylight. Perhaps even try to figure out what was wrong while sitting in the dark. I'd also practice without steering a little before getting into close quarters. I'd advise the marina I had no steering and ask if they had any resource for helping to the dock once I was very close.

Monday morning quarterbacking is useful if it's used to guide our actions in a similar situation. It is what would we like to think we'd do if facing it. As to what we would have done, that's conjecture as we weren't there with all the issues and stress involved. I noted that his wife quickly was gotten to the mainland and on a plane back home and has only accompanied him two days. All speculating, but her there, observing, perhaps commenting, perhaps judging, perhaps cursing, perhaps anything, I don't know, but any of it could have impacted his thought processes. Perhaps someone at dock said not to go that route. Perhaps he didn't have his tow membership information with him. I don't know all the factors weighing on his mind. Perhaps no food on the boat. No water. As the QB called the audible, like Wilson when he lost for Seattle rather than a simple handoff, we weren't where they were and don't know what they saw and felt, but we can look back and see what the situation was and what would have in retrospect have been a better choice. A pass intended for Lockette and intercepted at the goal line by Butler instead of a handoff to the Beast cost the Super Bowl. :nonono:

I would think and hope even the boater involved would look back now and think of what he wishes he'd done differently. There's a reason sports teams watch film of the game just played. It's not to place blame, it's to correct for the next game. :)

The boat was freed last month. Short video at end of local news article showing her rollers.

Two more links discuss (1) going outside in this area is well-known to be not recommended; and (2) the owner tried to make it in at 1AM vs late afternoon as described in his story. Also states that he decided to go into Okracoke, then lost steering vs seeking refuge/repairs which was implied in his story.

https://ocracokeobserver.com/2022/02/09/vivens-aqua-freed-from-its-15-day-beach-berth/

https://ocracokeobserver.com/2022/02/09/vivens-aqua-freed-from-its-15-day-beach-berth/

While I greatly reduce my support of the owner, still think there's more to learn here than 'can't fix stupid.' I have seen a few viscious accidents due to owners wanting to get back into their slip even when they shouldn't. I watched a sailboat who had lost their engine try to sail into their slip. They came in way too hot and ran up the front of their slip and hit the bow of the boat on the opposite side of the dock from them. I know of another boat in Sausalito where tidal currents can be nasty - rather than anchor-out for a couple hours and wait for slack, they tried to get back to their slip. Not a lot of damage, but enough to warrant a trip to the boatyard. Finally, a good friend of mine sailed his Irwin 52 from San Diego to Florida. I accompanied he and his girlfriend to the Bahamas. We were late getting out of FLL, and therefore late getting to Bimini. Under the last whispers of light, he wanted to go into the marina. His GF said no - they had spent 2-years NOT making compromises and this was no time to start. So we anchored in the open water outside of the harbor.

I think these decisions are easy from an armchair. When you're tired and eager to reach your destination, temptation is to make a decision that unknowingly carries risk. I still think too many brush aside bad decisions.

Peter

A series of bad choices there, beginning with "I wanted to make up some time," followed by the decision to stay outside past Morehead City. If you're going to do that, you'd better be ready to go way outside and stay out there 'til the way is clear to turn back west in toward Cape Henry and the Chesapeake Bay entrance. And while you're way outside off Cape Hatteras, "making up some time," be prepared for some of the most impressive seas to be experienced along the east coast of the U.S.

Then of course the decision to attempt a challenging inlet after dark. What could go wrong?

No life threatening adventure ever starts with good choices! :D

Okay......I don't know that coast. You assume that because he did it and failed he must be inexperienced. That's an unfair assumption - he lost steering. That sort of complicates things a bit. So for sake of argument, pick two benign inlets. You lose steering. You go aground. There is always an argument that somehow the fault should have been foreseen and failure to do so points to inadequacy of the helmsman. Therefore, if a person deems themself adequate, no harm will befall them. That's false logic.

So I will ask more bluntly: You are experienced (whatever that means) and arriving at an inlet in calm weather and you lose steering. What should you do?

Look, I've known some very experienced delivery captains who have lost boats. Guys who know a helluva lot more than I do (or did at the time). It really wobbled my confidence - if a guy with that experience lost a boat, what would I do? I each one of the well-publicized accidents there were legions of boaters who dismissed it as inattentiveness, as if it would never happen to them. It's tempting, but in my opinion, dangerous. To my thinking, failing to dig deeper is a hallmark of inexperience. I can tell you I had a couple of close calls that really humbled me. So when I see something like this, I try to ignore the natural impulse of 'gee, what a bonehead maneuver.' It serves no useful purpose, and in fact is counterproductive.

Peter

I did not assume that he was inexperienced because he did it and failed. I stated he showed his inexperience and lack of good judgement by leaving Beaufort Inlet northbound with the intent to come back inside for the night using Ocracoke Inlet.

To politely answer your question I wouldn’t have been in the situation he put himself in. Without local knowledge the only way to leave Beaufort Inlet northbound is;

1-The boat needs the range to make it into the Chesapeake Bay at Cape Henry.

2- The boat must be of the type and in mechanical condition to safely go the 25/30 nm off the coast to get around the Diamond Shoals.

3- The boat needs the proper safety equipment to be that far offshore.

4- The crew should be experienced in making offshore runs.

John

I wonder how his steering failed. What he has for backup systems? Don’t most boats at least have an emergency tiller?

I have a comprehensive back up system if the pump or electrical system fails, for instance. Even the autopilot can take over.

Unless it’s mechanical like the ram broke.

Last edited:
I did not assume that he was inexperienced because he did it and failed. I stated he showed his inexperience and lack of good judgement by leaving Beaufort Inlet northbound with the intent to come back inside for the night using Ocracoke Inlet.

To politely answer your question I wouldn’t have been in the situation he put himself in. Without local knowledge the only way to leave Beaufort Inlet northbound is;

1-The boat needs the range to make it into the Chesapeake Bay at Cape Henry.

2- The boat must be of the type and in mechanical condition to safely go the 25/30 nm off the coast to get around the Diamond Shoals.

3- The boat needs the proper safety equipment to be that far offshore.

4- The crew should be experienced in making offshore runs.

John

Thanks John - having read the local news accounts - that he approached at 1AM vs late afternoon, I retract some of my comments about his being experienced or not.

Thanks for the local knowledge.

Peter

I wonder how his steering failed. What he has for backup systems? Don’t most boats at least have an emergency tiller?

I have a comprehensive back up system if the pump or electrical system fails, for instance. Even the autopilot can take over.

Unless it’s mechanical like the ram broke.

In an unfamiliar inlet at night with a narrow channel and possibly somewhat strong current....doubt many trawler emergency tillers can be rigged quick enough...especially depending on the crew.

As to other backups or why steering with engines was out...can't really say from what I have read...

....but again...in that inlet, at the wrong moment and the time it takes sometimes to recognize a steering casualty no option may kept him from running aground.

One of the saying I have heard about running an inlet is “ If in doubt stay out”. That probably would have been the best choice.

One of the saying I have heard about running an inlet is “ If in doubt stay out”. That probably would have been the best choice.

Goes with one of my standard phrases, "When in doubt, don't do it."

Wifey B: Some information on Ocracoke Inlet from Active Captain:

Ocracoke Inlet, 27 miles west-southwest of Cape Hatteras Light, is entered over a shifting bar between the southern end of Ocracoke Island and the northern end of Portsmouth Island; the bar is subject to frequent changes. A lighted whistle buoy marks the approach. Other buoys marking the inlet are not charted, because they are frequently shifted in position; local knowledge is advised. Ocracoke Inlet Crab Spawning Sanctuary, a Marine Managed Area (MMA), is in the inlet near Ocracoke Island and Pamlico Sound.

Ocracoke Light (35°06'32''N., 75°59'10''W.), 75 feet above the water, is shown from a white tower near a clump of woods on the western part of Ocracoke Island and about 3 miles northeastward of Ocracoke Inlet. Ocracoke Coast Guard Station is 0.4 mile north of the light.

A microwave tower about 1 mile east-northeast of Ocracoke Light is reported to be prominent.

Several channels or sloughs lead from Ocracoke Inlet through the shoals to deep water in Pamlico Sound. Teaches Hole Channel follows the western side of Ocracoke Island and connects with Silver Lake through a dredged channel at Ocracoke. It also joins Big Foot Slough Channel northwest of Ocracoke which leads to Pamlico Sound. In 1977-June 1978, the midchannel controlling depth in the entrance channel to Silver Lake was 10 feet. Teaches Hole Channel is subject to frequent changes; buoys are frequently shifted in position. In April 1998, the controlling depth in Big Foot Slough Channel was 11 feet except for shoaling along the eastern edge; thence in February 2007, shoaling to 4.8 feet was reported between Daybeacon 10B and Daybeacon 11; caution is advised. The channel is reported to shoal considerably between dredgings. Strong currents have been experienced in these channels. Mariners are advised to exercise caution while navigating in the area.

A swash channel, marked by a light and daybeacons, connects Big Foot Slough Channel with Nine Foot Shoal Channel, which leads off in a northwesterly direction. The controlling depth is about 5 feet through the swash channel to Pamlico Sound. Some local vessels use this channel as a short cut, but Big Foot Slough Channel is the recommended channel.

There are other unmarked shallow channels leading from Ocracoke Inlet to Pamlico Sound, but they should not be used without local knowledge because of the shifting shoals.

The town of Ocracoke is 3.5 miles inside the inlet.

Tides: The mean range of tide is 1.9 feet over the bar at Ocracoke Inlet and 1 foot in Silver Lake. In the channels, the height of the water depends upon the direction and force of the wind.

Currents: The currents in the inlet and connecting channels are influenced by the winds. The ebb current usually has a greater velocity than the flood. Velocities up to 4 knots have been observed. Current predictions for several locations in the channels may be obtained from the Tidal Current Tables.

The most recent Army Corp depth survey is at:
http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/HydrographicSurveys/SideChannelsSmallHarbors.aspx

Boater reported June 2017: Entered 1 hour before LW 26 June 2017. Draft 4.5 feet. Followed a local fishing boat into the entrance and then Local Coast Guard up to Silver Lake. Depths were good in the main but with a couple of sections that got down to 2 to 2.5 feet under the keel. The inlet carries 6 feet if you know where to go. However, a few of the buoys are wrong. There is plenty of shoal areas.

Notes:
- From RW safe water mark buoy 1 is WSW and missing its top.
- Buoy 1 is green, but the 2 local fishing boats left it to Stb, but kept very close to it. They then went NW following the rest of the channel buoys down the middle.
- At buoy 10 it got shallow, gave the buoy quite a wide berth around the tip of the island as it shoals out from the island.
- At buoy 22 there is an effective triangle of reds. 22 stays to stb by 20 feet. The next red stays to port and the further red stays 20 feet to stb. So a straight line through the middle of the triangle. It got shallow here.
- Just after 30 is 30a. Take a sharp right turn towards the base of the radio mast. Leaving G31 well to port as it shoals badly around here.
- After this it is a straight run up to Silver Lake. On entering Silver Lake stick closer to the greens through the break water.

The boater reported that without following the fishing boat he would have struggled to identify G1. Without the CG he would probably have run aground. But with the tide low and flowing out he could see most of the shoaling and would have been able to check the forward motion quickly to get off the sand. Doable but a bit nerve wracking​

And another:

transited between sound and ocean via Ocrakoke inlet July 2020. Neither the buoys nor the navionics charts are Completely accurate, both were close. Good sunlight however made the passage quite easy heading out with our 3ft draft. We were grateful for our track when we returned inbound through the cut in the afternoon with poor light. I believe up to 6ft draft could manage this cut safely in with the right conditions. Between the sound and Ocracoke Harbour both buoys and charts were accurate.​

From Waterway Guide:

Shoaling exist in the vicinity of Ocracoke Inlet. Current Aids to Navigation may be unreliable in various locations between Ocracoke Inlet Buoy 1 (LLNR 28900) and Ocracoke Inlet Buoy 8 (LLNR 28927). Mariners are advised to use caution while navigating this area. NC BNM 207-20​

And Cruisers Net:

Grounding and Rescue in Ocracoke Inlet, Pamlico Sound, NC

Despite good charted depths in the eastern waters of the inlet, the constant channel shifting and shoaling in the western portion make Ocracoke Inlet very dangerous without very specific local knowledge. This article should serve as a warning to prudent navigators!​

Just thought this might be helpful for those not familiar with the area. Based on locals advising us, we've never gone through the inlet. Only to Ocracoke from the inside and then only in daylight and good conditions after getting current information from Marina and/or tow service. :)

Just thought this might be helpful for those not familiar with the area. Based on locals advising us, we've never gone through the inlet. Only to Ocracoke from the inside and then only in daylight and good conditions after getting current information from Marina and/or tow service. :)

Many a good mariners have ended up grounded coming in the channel from the Sound. Even the ferries occasionally end up wedged in the sand. They can usually back off themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocracoke Inlet

This is one of my two local inlets. It is a very dangerous inlet because of the constantly shifting sands. When I have to use it I follow one of the local Sportsfisherman out and back. Unless he was in dangerous surf, the safe move would be to anchor and call for help. Or as someone suggested stay offshore and call for help.
As for maintaining a course, my GB42 has a massive keel and will track. For me the key is to find the right speed. Running Ocracoke without steering would be very difficult. The current can be really strong and the channel is not straight.

My 1973 GB36 has an emergency tiller. I pray I never have to use it for real but I do intend to try it for the experience when she is back in the H2O.

MY 1971 GB42 has the fitting for an emergency tiller but NO tiller. After reading this I am going to find one or have one made.
An additional thought about running inlets. IMHO daylight is critical for safely running a difficult inlet. I need to be able to read the wave action and the color of the water. The same holds true for passages through reefs.

My 1973 GB36 has an emergency tiller. I pray I never have to use it for real but I do intend to try it for the experience when she is back in the H2O.

I have an emergency tiller and have practiced with it. It's not too difficult. Helps if you have a good line of sight from the tiller location through the boat.

One word of caution. If your steering system is hydraulic and/or has an autopilot with hydraulics, there is most likely a ball valve in the line you will need to turn before you use the tiller, otherwise you could damage something.

Back
Top Bottom