Aging gracefully with a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
The last couple of years I haven't been as gung ho with my maintenance. Part of it has been some health issues but it's also been a change of attitude. The maintenance is becoming more of a physical challenge and I dread crawling around in the engine room. I've owned the boat since 2007 and been boating all my life. My neighbour had to sell his boat because he was careless in lifting a battery when he shouldn't have and suffered an injury. But he was in his 80's I'm only 68. When do you sell your boat?

I know your pain. I have had about 11 back procedures in the last couple of years. I am also 68 and we just put our boat up for sale. Where we live there are no diesel mechanics. We plan to get a smaller gas powered boat since we can hire work done on gas engines. Very disappointing but a fact of life I guess. Hooe you find a good solution.

I am approaching a similar option. I'm a month off 73. The work is getting tougher and the boat is getting older so needs more attention. The two of us are on different tracks.

If you start to resent the boat and its demands then maybe that is the time.

Like many of us I have to do the bulk of the work or I simply could no longer afford it. I have always enjoyed the work but maybe that enjoyment is wearing a bit thin.
Sounds like you are approaching that point.

Have you , like Commodave, considered a boat change? No or reduced varnish, single engine vs twins, allowing the boat to look a bit dustier and so on.

Tough decisions when you like the boat/boating. Don't be in a rush yet but consider the options.

Last time, 2 yrs ago, I did a battery change so I hired two movers, at their convenience, to swap the old for the new out of the engine compartment and get them in my truck. Cost me $140.00 incl. a $20 tip each. All of us were happy. I had everything rigged for them to simply do what I could no longer do.

Once in the E.R. I can push them around. I rigged a 4 block lift using hooks overhead, to hang the blocks from to lift the batteries. It was not fool proof but made it possible with a bit of pushing and shoving and judicious use of sliders/guides/ prys to get them into their final places.

Maybe think about hiring some help from time to time.

But good luck with your thoughts and concerns.

When do you sell your boat?

When you realize some boats can be far less effort & maint. by design.

Problem is builders would rather build complex to increase the WOW factor.

One usual hassle is up & down requires more effort so requires a flatter layout or at least lots of hand grips , so arms can help aging knees and hips.

Another example would be installing al RV style toilet that uses perhaps 1/10 the water , so 10 times fewer pump outs are needed.

Last edited:
My perspective. I am in my early 60's so younger than many here. However, I have accepted I am no longer flexible enough to do a lot of engine room maintenance. Instead, I pay to have it done. Whether for financial reasons or not, boaters tend to think they have to do most or all of their own maintenance. So another answer to the original question could be that you sell your boat when you can no longer afford to maintain it. If you enjoy boating and can afford it, there is no shame in paying someone else to do the crawling around your engine room.

Some boats are easier to age on than others. On my list would be:
- stand up engine room (or equivalent hatches)
- walk around side decks
- no teak to maintain
- no 8D batteries (replace with group31)
- oil change system (pump in/out)
- low profile or stabilizers
- simple dinghy launch
- overbuilt anchoring system

The maintenance is becoming more of a physical challenge and I dread crawling around in the engine room.

When do you sell your boat?
I just went through that exact scenario last fall. I wanted to keep a boat on the water but at 80 years old I did not want the grief (or cost) you just outlined. Decision? I bought a brand new Duffy 22' all electric Cuddy with a head. I had the factory install a 1200 watt inverter and 3 additional 110v outlets that allow me to have a TV, Coffee pot, lamp, etc. It's likely one of the best decisions I've ever made relative to boating!:dance:

Attachments

• Walt &Duffy.jpg
    Walt &Duffy.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Duffy Interior.jpg
    Duffy Interior.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 91
My wife and I have this discussion every year to make sure that we are both still physically up to the task that are needed to cruise for 4-5 months in Alaska every year and what can be changed to accommodate the changes. We are 69 and 70 in age.

I just got medevacked out of Petersburg last week with ventricular tachycardia and had a pacemaker and defibrillator installed (had a quintuple bypass 29 years ago). We plan on flying back next week if all checks out. We were going to be hauled out the day after this happened for our three year haul out and was then planning on installing our new inverter, Lipo4 battery bank ad ancillary equipment I will now find help in removing the old 6volt FLA bank. Although we don't want to quit our current lifestyle, I'm sure we will be doing a serious re-evaluation at the end of the summer.

I highly recommend carrying medivac insurance. It only costs us $125/yr for both of us. I'm sure that the bill would've been in the many 10s of 1,000s of dollars.

Tator

I just went through that exact scenario last fall. I wanted to keep a boat on the water but at 80 years old I did not want the grief (or cost) you just outlined. Decision? I bought a brand new Duffy 22' all electric Cuddy with a head. I had the factory install a 1200 watt inverter and 3 additional 110v outlets that allow me to have a TV, Coffee pot, lamp, etc. It's likely one of the best decisions I've ever made relative to boating!:dance:

Good decision and a great looking boat. Glad you can still enjoy it. On a somewhat similar note, I am slowly replacing gas-powered things with electric and am always happy when I do. I have an electric outboard for my dinghy and just bought a electric pole hedge trimmer to replace a 2-cycle gas one. Not only is it lighter and performs better, but it starts without any pulling!

Still in my 50's (barely) with no medical issues (yet), but even for me, my attitude is gradually changing. I can still wedge myself unto the engine compartment or change flapper/joker valves, or fix the broken canvas snaps yet again, or climb on the aft deck roof to change the bulb in the steaming (running) light 18 feet above the water hoping I don't drop the screwdriver or the bulb, and on some level I even enjoy boat maintenance -- but more and more it feels like I just don't have the time. There's too much to do in life. My sons will be kids for five more minutes, and the ratio of maintenance to actual enjoyment is out of whack. When I was 20 I could be outrageously extravagant with time, but this year I told the marina to delay launching the boat by a few weeks. It's not that we don't enjoy it, we love our summers on the water, but once that shrink wrap comes off and the hull hits the water, it becomes a black hole for my time.

When you find yourself doing another rebuild on something you rebuilt 20 years ago.

I am also beginning to resent the time and money that she takes from my other

"projects".

I'd like to stay on the water but my next boat I'll be able to carry on my shoulder.

Gracefully?
If you age too gracefully, no one will miss you when you are gone. LOL

Still in my 50's (barely) with no medical issues (yet), but even for me, my attitude is gradually changing. I can still wedge myself unto the engine compartment or change flapper/joker valves, or fix the broken canvas snaps yet again, or climb on the aft deck roof to change the bulb in the steaming (running) light 18 feet above the water hoping I don't drop the screwdriver or the bulb, and on some level I even enjoy boat maintenance -- but more and more it feels like I just don't have the time. There's too much to do in life. My sons will be kids for five more minutes, and the ratio of maintenance to actual enjoyment is out of whack. When I was 20 I could be outrageously extravagant with time, but this year I told the marina to delay launching the boat by a few weeks. It's not that we don't enjoy it, we love our summers on the water, but once that shrink wrap comes off and the hull hits the water, it becomes a black hole for my time.

Time is money. If you can afford to, pay a professional to do some of the more major maintenance work. It's still puzzles me that many boat owners will take on any and all tasks related to their boat, but don't hesitate to pay someone to change the oil in their car.

I'm in my early 50's but I can see this coming. I'm like most of us and do a lot of the work myself. But I've slowly started paying people to do the things I hate or are physically hard on me. Bottom paint, buffing/waxing. Real grunt work.

I don't know when it will be but there will come a time when I can't do a lot of what I do now and can't find/can't afford to hire people to do it for me. I hope that's not soon.

Sounds like we are in the same boat! (pun intended)

I am "only" 63 but I can see the trend. My last sail boat was a 42 footer and I did a lot of solo ocean stuff on it.... back in 2004-2008 while I was still 50 and bullet proof. Last few days I helped a friend move a similar boat and it was mild torture moving around on it and raising sails/grinding winches. So we now have the Hatteras and the two standup engine rooms were KEY in the decision to get it, versus something where I had to crawl under the salon floor. When I can't keep it up anymore I'll let her go.... when? Dunno yet.

At 73, the issues above are staring me in the face. Good points on easing in to having someone do the work that I have always done myself. And letting minor cosmetic items slide rather than obsessing on fixing them asap. I'm aiming for 80, fingers crossed.

Excellent advise on getting Medivac insurance especially for Alaska cruisers.

When do you sell your boat? Never!

I am 62 and recently acquired a 50 YO timber boat. lots of maintenance. the day i cant maintain her or afford for someone else to do it i will let her run aground and just die peacefully.

This has certainly opened up a lot of similar experiences. For the last two haul outs I have had the yard do the bottom paint. Instead of lifting an old inverter charger off of the engine room wall to change out a fuse I had a company come in and upgrade the inverter, and a few other things. Could I have done it myself? Probably. But I could have had an accident.

Boating has always included projects and upgrades. I still have a list a mile long list of things I want to do to the boat. And I enjoy the upgrades I do. 3 years ago I got a really good deal on a Northern Lights 5kw Generator. I somehow shoe horned that 400 lb genset into a tight spot in my lazerette and pulled 30 ft of heavy cable up to lower pilot station.

So the boat may end up being a dock side boat. Its big enough and has a prime location in Coal Harbour. Sort of like a downtown residence, Where 2 bedroom condos sell for 2 to 5 million dollars and are owned by foreign money.

At 73, the issues above are staring me in the face. Good points on easing in to having someone do the work that I have always done myself. And letting minor cosmetic items slide rather than obsessing on fixing them asap. I'm aiming for 80, fingers crossed.

Excellent advise on getting Medivac insurance especially for Alaska cruisers.

I'm not yet 60, but I can say that letting go of some of the maintenance responsibilities is a key to enjoying, rather than resenting, the boat.

That, and being comfortable with flat-white gelcoat!

A month ago I was replacing my ancient battery charger with a "smart" charger and threw out my back. Got the charger in but had to call it a day. The boat needs the starboard heat exchanger flushed out but I'm waiting for my back to get all better as I cannot afford to pay anyone as good a mechanic as I am. Did I mention I'm only 85 years of age?

The ebb & flow of Life...we've been discussing an exit from the trawler game, which probably means we're a year or so away from doing it.

My wife has discovered woodworking and I am inexorably being pulled into finishing my darkroom and making prints using a mix of digitally enlarged negatives and hand coated papers using methods from before 1850.

Looks like our daughter might be settling into a career in the south of our province as well, so foresee long meandering driving/hiking trips on BC's back roads with both of us photographing along the way.

Badger served us well, but directions and priorities in Life change. There are a couple spots we have to check out, like all the nooks & crannies in Gardner Canal and parts of the Estevan Group. After that, it'll be time to move on and let Badger fill someone else dreams for a while.

I am within days of being 78.
I have things that need to be done but the professionals are busy and I am on their waiting list.

In my 70s and can't imagine living in a house. I was a shipwright and can handle anything mechanically, but sometimes hire some young gorillas for the heavy stuff, and hull painting. I wait for the off season for bottom jobs. If it wasn't for covid, Canada is cheaper for most yard work.

Wifey B: When do you make any changes in life? When it no longer works. In this case, "works" is does it bring you enough pleasure to offset the costs, the effort, the negatives. Only you know.

Now there may be intermediate steps. You may decide to have others do the work and you just boat. Or you may decide to go to something smaller and simpler like Codger. Or you may decide to RV like GFC. Or you may just decide it's time to enjoy your home.

Just don't feel pressure from peers or yourself. It's not "giving up." It's "moving forward." I dread those days but sure hope I'm able to make those decisions at 80. I don't like aging, but sure don't like the alternative. :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

I hope I'm wise enough. I applaud you wisely looking at yourself. Those who don't self diagnose and analyze can end up in trouble. I worry about myself and my hubby. We love playing basketball with high school kids and did until the pandemic and look forward to doing it again, but we're again. Ok, if you repeat my age, I'll slap you silly but I'm turning 41 in a few days and he's turning 50 later this year and we feel 21 and 30. Are we too old to do it? Will we admit when we are? Or do we have to get injured first? I don't know. I still dress like I'm 21.

Aging gracefully is one thing and I don't intend to. But aging safely and smartly is another. I applaud you for thinking about this and please, make your own decision and the one right for you. I think by the nature of your post, you know what you want to and need to do. ;)

Wifey B, 41 years old?
Compared to me, you are a mere child.
LOL You can turn 41 and I will turn 78 together!!!

Wifey B, I am a bit surprised your husband still approves of you continuing your career as a professional stripper. HIDING

Last edited:
Wifey B, 41 years old?
Compared to me, you are a mere child.
LOL You can turn 41 and I will turn 78 together!!!

Wifey B, I am a bit surprised your husband still approves of you continuing your career as a professional stripper. HIDING

Wifey B: I have stripper friends or those who stripped their way through college. One now a CEO and the other a Surgeon. :D

Now, they've tried to teach others of us, but I'll tell you the stripper pole is really difficult. Also painful. I'm amazed at their skills. Hubby has no problems with strippers and loves both of them too. :)

Wifey B: I have stripper friends or those who stripped their way through college. One now a CEO and the other a Surgeon. :D

Now, they've tried to teach others of us, but I'll tell you the stripper pole is really difficult. Also painful. I'm amazed at their skills. Hubby has no problems with strippers and loves both of them too. :)

You have a stripper pole on the boat? I think that is a mast for a sail.
I love strippers too. Alas, they have no use for 'grandpa'.:banghead:

Last edited:
Wife and I came back to boating after a number of years touring on a Harley. Now the bike is in the garage awaiting insurance. In the last 10 years we have gone from year round two up riding to hardly any last year.
Back to the boat, we both love boating. We sold the previous boat because it sat unused while we rode. Just cannot do it all while working.
Heading into retirement, we want to do both as I semi retire. The current boat may be the last owned boat as is the current Harley as we age gracefully unable to do either.
So this topic is interesting how many are in similar situations.

My thoughts. The Harley is paid for and sits in the garage at no cost. The boat if unused would be sold. However, never rule out chartering. Let others maintain, do your trip(s) and go home.
I used to live on a boat, great years indeed. I sympathize with those of you that are living on the boat and finding maintenance getting to be a burden, as you will need therapy to adapt to living on the dirt house.

I sympathize with those of you that are living on the boat and finding maintenance getting to be a burden, as you will need therapy to adapt to living on the dirt house.

Wifey B: You're right that some will but some have enough interests and hobbies to move happily to another. I'm happy to say there's not enough time in a year for us to do all we want to. We're passionate about so much. Hopefully that means when even that we love most is taken from us, there's a lot more for us to enjoy. :)

Back
Top Bottom