agate pass info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
This morning we were at Poulsbo and was thinking of heading out via agate pass but garmin didnt allow me to take that route. I went south instead but wanted know if there was a reason one should avoid that pass?

No reason to avoid, but it should be planned around the current. Both Rich Passage and Agate will be flowing the same direction, so that isn’t the issue. Must be a software glitch or something with your settings.

Thanks
I checked the charts and didn't see anything but when i see conflicting information i take the sure and safe approach. I saw some shallows and a rock but that could be avoided. Thanks for the reply.

Garmin won’t route you through there because it’s too narrow for the routing algorithm. I just set my routing for an area close to the entrance and go through on manual. I’ve never bothered about checking the currents; they just aren’t that bad.

Must be an inferior chart plotter. Any real chart plotter would route you through Agate Pass as it is plenty wide and deep. While current exists, its a non issue for all but the slowest of boats.��

I have garmin 8612 xsv mfds. I updated the software the night before we left. Likely my perimeters got changed. I did notice my desired depth was 30 phantoms.

Depth is about 20 feet and maximum current that I have seen is 3 knots. Three knots for us means either looking a long time at the bridge or shooting through at a whopping 10 knots. Doing the calculation of going south through Rich (when heading north) never works out for us. It is just as "fast" to anchor and wait.

I've seen 5 knots, but it's a piece of cake most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom