Aft versus Forward Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Greetings,

We plan to start seriously looking at boats in about a year when the wife retires from teaching. One thing I have not been able to find on this site is a discussion of the pro's and con's of a forward berth versus aft. It seems to me a forward cabin, like in a Mainship 390, would have more movement and be subjected to anchor line tugs while an aft cabin would be much more serene. Then again since i have no experience i may be totally wrong.

Comments?

Oooo.... Neat subject... I love aft cabins and doubt we'll ever own a boat without one. However, in OUR case, Skinny Dippin' has some pretty hard chines that slap loudly even in mild conditions. For some, it's serene and settling. For other like myself, it keeps me awake. I suppose every boat is different and I am not an expert on boats other than ours. We would probably be ok in a full walk-around queen V-Berth, but we have looked at other boat on YachtWorld and boats in the size we can afford don't have a V-Berth big enough for us to feel comfortable. Aft staterooms feel more like bedrooms and hardly move at anchor. While I hate to say it this way, I want to feel more like we're in a hotel or condo versus feeling like we're on a boat. It's very nice.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. P. Start seriously looking NOW. The more time you spend looking the more time you will have to refine your search PLUS, a few extra weekends away with the Mrs. is ALWAYS a good thing!

Greetings,
Mr. P. Start seriously looking NOW. The more time you spend looking the more time you will have to refine your search PLUS, a few extra weekends away with the Mrs. is ALWAYS a good thing!

I agree, there's no reason not to start looking as soon as possible. The larger boat shows are a good place to look.

What a coincidence...I was going to post this question myself when I could not find anything in past posts. So I'm interested in the responses. I don't wish to hijack your OP, but in the name of efficiency, maybe I could add to this as well?

How about those of us that might do over night or longer passages occasionally? Is it better to have an aft cabin vice a foward berth for this? How about a mid berth?

We're currently looking at aft cabins because of the reasons stated above and the fantastic aft deck.

We're currently looking at aft cabins because of the reasons stated above and the fantastic aft deck.

Our boat has both. Aft cabin preferred by a huge margin. Guests appreciate the separation afforded by the center salon area. If you like being outside, whether at anchor or in the slip, the sundeck will drive the configuration decision anyway.

Definitely start looking now! Walk around and get the flow of the boat layouts to see what will be most cofortable and usable for you. We are also looking at the advantages and disadvantages of aft versus vberth. Until you see it live, you won't really know.

Front master cabin here. We like our fresh air and have a constant flow up front when hanging on the anchor. A forward cabin doesn't have to be a V-berth.

Dave

Our boat has both. Aft cabin preferred by a huge margin. Guests appreciate the separation afforded by the center salon area. If you like being outside, whether at anchor or in the slip, the sundeck will drive the configuration decision anyway.

We are currently negotiating on a 36 aft cabin. This should be plenty of room for the two of us.
Wish us luck as this is a fight for every penny by each party.

We have a forward main cabin and a boat with a hard chine and it's noisy....but I love it. The slap of the waves against the bow puts me to sleep in a heartbeat. Like Magicbus, I like the ability to open the bow hatch and have the fresh air blowing down on the bed. I've slept in our mid-ship stateroom and even with the ports open it's stuffy in there. I can't imagine not having the gentle breezes through the main cabin.

I like the aft cabin for bunk size, not so good for ventilation. V-Berth is good good for ventilation but not for size on my 36-DC.

Same configuration here. We've owned both, and by far the aft cabin has been the most comfortable. We have the added benefit of having a cockpit that is accessible from the aft cabin, so morning coffee on the anchor is but a step outside into the fresh air.

We don't get hull slap on the hook or on the dock, so our aft master is quiet and serene.

Front master cabin here. We like our fresh air and have a constant flow up front when hanging on the anchor. A forward cabin doesn't have to be a V-berth.

Dave

True. If you're not running AC all night, you'll have a lot better ventilation in a forward berth. Water slapping against the hull never bothered me. It's part of the on the water experience.

All in all, I don't think the berth location should be the most important piece of your boat selection strategy. There are far more important things.

I've had both. I now have an aft cabin that I really enjoy at nights for sleeping. In the day time, I always miss the sedan set-up. It is so easy to move in and out between the aft deck and saloon. Also, the people outside can interact with the people inside by just leaving the aft door open. I want to have that again so my next boat will probably be a pilothouse type with a midship master stateroom. I think it has the best of both worlds. It's a sedan with a master that compares to ones found on aft cabin boats.

I like the aft cabin for bunk size, not so good for ventilation. V-Berth is good good for ventilation but not for size on my 36-DC.
You just need the right "V-berth"!:)

Dave

Attachments

• Master Stateroom.jpg
    Master Stateroom.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 156
Edwin Monk (senor) said something like, "The captain sleeps in the bow to monitor the anchor." I currently sleep in the aft cabin and it's a long hike to check on things when the wind changes in the night (last night, and the night before..).

You just need the right "V-berth"!:)

Dave
The "right" v-berth on a 48 footer is a whole 'nother thing from the fwd berth on a 34. :rolleyes:

We use our fwd berths almost exclusively as storage; once our kids stayed aboard, but in reality the 34 aft cabins (MT's, CHB's) are pretty much a 2 person boat for anything more than an overnight.

We spend the majority of our waking hours on the back deck or in the saloon in nasty weather so our emphasis was in those areas. It is certainly nice to have the space an aft berth provides but for the time spent there the forward berth works very well for us. It's luxury compared to our 23'. This is a very personal choice and depends also on how many people you intend to have on board on a regular basis. Have fun looking.!!

Since I like to fish and enjoy easy water access, I prefer the fwd cabin. But, IMO, it comes at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort.

Most aft cabins place you well above water level on the aft deck. I prefer a cockpit to provide easy water access. Of course, larger boats can offer both the aft cabin and a cockpit, but access can be awkward. Many of them require you to pass through the aft cabin to access the cockpit from inside the boat (turning your bedroom into a hallway for all guests to pass through) or use the side deck to the sundeck then climb down a ladder to the cockpit.

img_138654_0_1492fac0310835f882bb6f6d433707ab.jpg

Last edited:
An excellent point for discussion. The answer I think will depend on how you like to cruise.

We have a 32' flybridge with a covered aft cockpit, which we love. At anchor or at the dock we can have the doors open to the cockpit all the time, come rain or shine, during the cruising season along the BC coast. The forward stateroom doesn't get too rambunctious when the waves or wind pipe up we find.

However, we determined that we needed a second stateroom and so have been on a quest for the last few months for the next boat, looking in the 40' range. Initially we were looking for the same arrangement as we currently have, but with the second stateroom.

What we discovered is that generally speaking, the forward stateroom/aft covered cockpit vessels suffered from a lack of personal storage space in the staterooms. Yes, we looked closely at a Mainship 400 but were discouraged by its lack of locker storage, particularly in the master stateroom.

Once we started looking at aft cabin models, we discovered that they had much more storage space in the master staterooms, albeit at the expense of losing the covered aft cockpit. You also gain a second head usually, and significant separation from any guests you might have on board.

For example, the Monk 36 has a much more usable master stateroom than the Mainship 400.

But all of that comes down to how you use the boat. For relatively short cruises, I don't think personal storage is a big deal, but if you going to be away from laundry services, for example, or like to dress appropriately for every occasion (I have no idea how that works myself.) you might want the storage.

If you like to sit in your cockpit at anchor during a rainstorm and watch the bears flip rocks on shore, then the forward cabin version might be the better choice.

There are also the covered sundeck models, which are kind of a blend of the two types mentioned above, but which I know little about.

We're aft cabin folks (or mid cabin on some boats too for a number of reasons. Personal choice. I really like the Mainship 390 but the bow slap of the water at night drives me crazy. We used to rent one and ended up using the sleeper sofa in the salon, which made for a very nice set up.

Some other forward cabin boats don't have anywhere near the noise problem (Flemings and Krogens come to mind) but I have to say we were personally extremely disappointed in the Fleming 55 MSR, reminded me of that of a 44 fty Sea Ray, crawl in berth and all.

We chartered a bunch of different boats for a long time, that is the only way we knew what the right features for us are. I didn't bother with boat shows until experience told me what to look at.

Note where I put the italics here. Boats are a very persoanl decision as far as what "fits" you ergonomically and comfort wise. But at least I can't determine that without actually using different boat styles first; then we could play Goldilocks much more efficiently. And as it turned out quite effectively for us.

we have a 390 and i love the ability to just walk on at the swim platform and right in the sliding door. Storage for long cruises can be an issue, but we use the port stateroom as a large closet, so that solves the problem. On the other hand, wave slap can be an issue when anchored out as you will point into the wind. only once in 5 years, however, did it become annoying enough that we could not sleep. When that happened we pulled out the sofa bed.
all in all, my preference is just what we have.
John
MS 390

All the posters make very good points. When it comes down to it, it all depends on what your priorities are and how you intend to use the boat. For us climbing on aboard an aft cabin boat with a 55 pound dog was a concern. Yes the aft cabin provides a great liveable layout, but you are generally having to climb. At the dock, that isn't as big of a concern as when at anchor. Since we live at a marina, our preference is not to go and stay at another marina but to anchor out. Taking a Golden Retriever twice a day to the shore to do her business can be difficult having to climb down and back up on a high boat from a tender.
Also, handling groceries and other stuff on and off the boat when it is high is a concern for us.

It was recommended that you begin your search earlier. That is one of the best ideas I have read yet. You need to make a list of the must haves and the like to haves. When you go on a boat, try to loose the rose colored glasses and imagine living on board. Not how cool it will be but what difficulties different layouts present. For my Admiral it was the galley. Could she make all the meals in the boat galley as she did at home. When you are talking about a boat as a home and not a recreational unit then it takes on a totally different set of criteria. You can live with certain aspects for a weekend, week and even several months, but years can be very different. What about laundry, are you going to haul it to the mat every week or do it on board. Is there sufficient freezer space or a place to put a freezer. Most frigs on boats unless you are getting a very large one, are not overly spacious.
What about the head and shower, do you have to climb in or can you comfortably enter and exit.

It took us a year and half to find the right boat. Many features we thought were important we ended up deciding weren't and many items we didn't consider at the beginning became obvious when we took the time on board to imagine living on board. Another example is relaxing. At home you sit in your recliner and kick back. Most boats have settees and they are great doing double duty as lounge and seating for dinning but for long periods are not that comfortable. Take the time to look and imagine. Once you buy the boat it will not be like a house where you can go buy a piece of furniture or replace it to adjust. It just isn't that simple.

One other thing, looking at boats can be a real joy. We enjoyed spending our weekends looking at all the different boats, when it was all said and done we ended up with one that met most of our requirements that was within our budget.

Chine slap

Greetings,

We plan to start seriously looking at boats in about a year when the wife retires from teaching. One thing I have not been able to find on this site is a discussion of the pro's and con's of a forward berth versus aft. It seems to me a forward cabin, like in a Mainship 390, would have more movement and be subjected to anchor line tugs while an aft cabin would be much more serene. Then again since i have no experience i may be totally wrong.

Comments?

OP -

Google these two search strings -

Nordic tug chine slap

Mainship chine slap

Some of the hits will point right back here to trawlerforum.

I think you will be amazed at the extent SOME owners have gone to be free of it. Others find no problems with it.

I was once in a transient marina that isn’t that well sheltered from the SE with a MS 39 on each side of me. Amazing amount of noise. How those loopers slept thru it is a mystery to me.

Full disclosure - the little DeFever has no chine.

Mike

I have only seen it on a larger sized boat , but the Fwd cabin is the PERFECT place for the engine room.

Place a head & shower behind its bulkhead and quiet cruising is a snap.

Fwd sucks at cruise or much of the time at anchor.

Why not give the most rotten ride to the iron topsail,, rather than to humans?

Since I like to fish and enjoy easy water access, I prefer the fwd cabin. But, IMO, it comes at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort.

Most aft cabins place you well above water level on the aft deck. I prefer a cockpit to provide easy water access. Of course, larger boats can offer both the aft cabin and a cockpit, but access can be awkward. Many of them require you to pass through the aft cabin to access the cockpit from inside the boat (turning your bedroom into a hallway for all guests to pass through) or use the side deck to the sundeck then climb down a ladder to the cockpit.

Best advice our broker gave us during the search for our first boat was to include an aft cockpit if we were going to insist on an aft cabin/sundeck. We're currently slipped at a high dock, so we walk straight onto the sundeck. But at floating docks or when boarding from the dink, the cockpit is a godsend. Yes, I had to boost our Airedale terrier up from the cockpit to the sundeck when he got too old to bypass the short ladder with one jump...but he was always wearing a life jacket with a carrying handle, so it worked out just fine.

I'm with Pat on this one. Being able to walk aboard is a huge plus. Climbing up and over an aft-cabin isn't high on our list of desirables.

Since I like to fish and enjoy easy water access, I prefer the fwd cabin. But, IMO, it comes at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort. I prefer a cockpit to provide easy water access. Of course, larger boats can offer both the aft cabin and a cockpit, but access can be awkward..... or use the side deck to the sundeck then climb down a ladder to the cockpit.

In 1995 I had these exact same requirements so I bought an Offshore 48' Yachtfisher. It was the first big boat I ever had and I "was green as grass" about knowing about boats. As Al has pointed out, boarding was a little challenging but once aboard, what a great boat! 18 years and 8 boats later, I wish I still had that boat! Huge aft state room, helm down below, dinette accross fom the galley, a day head, nice guest cabin, fly bridge, twin Perkins, and "the softest ride on the water." (Not a good boat for dogs, however.)

Attachments

• Nido del Mar.jpg
    Nido del Mar.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 126
  • Cal Deck.jpg
    Cal Deck.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 119

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom