Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Wen we started looking, after we sold our yacht, I favoured the aft cabin, as I thought we would have company cruising more often. My wife preferred an aft cockpit, and we couldn't stretch to one large enough to have the best of all worlds like a large sun decker or a sedan/Europa big enough to have a separate guest cabin forward. So she won out, but she was right. We found that the kids were of an age they seldom wanted to come, and if they did, the pull out settee and the table both make quite good doubles in the saloon. We also found we seldom ended up taking out friends other than for day sails. So she was right, and I was wrong, and I'm totally ok with that. Chine slap does not worry us, and as I posted on the anchor alarm thread, a change of significance in the conditions changes that sound enough to wake me every time, but not if it stays constant, so both issues solved.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #42

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Thank you all so much for the great response to my question! You gave me a lot to think about. This forum is awesome and a tremendous resource. I dont think I could ever get this much unbiased info from walking the docks and talking to folks. This thread is a keeper and I will be referring back to it again and again as the search goes on.
Thanks again and I hope to see you on the water sooner rather than later.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #43

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Good luck in your search and enjoy it. Nothing better than messing around boats. As you progress through your search, keep notes on what you like and don't like. Take pictures of both. This is a big undertaking and an expensive one. Take your time.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Thank you all so much for the great response to my question! You gave me a lot to think about. This forum is awesome and a tremendous resource. I dont think I could ever get this much unbiased info from walking the docks and talking to folks. This thread is a keeper and I will be referring back to it again and again as the search goes on.
Thanks again and I hope to see you on the water sooner rather than later.
So tell us, what did you actually learn that is relevant to you personally?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #45

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
What I learned is I need to get off the computer and look at some real boats. I will start this summer. Thanks again.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #46
FF
Guru

IF you like boating the purpose is to be on the water.

There is a huge difference in lounging in a cockpit that is on the water line ,

and being 20 ft up in an oxygen tent overlooking the water.

Like the difference between a beach cottage and the 5th floor in a condo.

Both are "water front" BUT...
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Our covered aft deck can be very easily as open or closed as we like. Thus we can enjoy being 7 ft above the water 365 days a year. Which is why it is by far the most used room on the boat, and gets the most love from people who have fair-weather-only open cockpits. Cockpits are very nice, no question about it, but per the "length" thread, it wasn't worth the compromise to us. To me their main advantage is getting on and off the boat to the dinghy or to floating docks which is a significant factor to consider especially if you are not "spry". If we want to be really next to the water, there's the Whaler.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

The height of a sundeck is often just enough to escape the swarms of bugs near the water. Our boat has both...sundeck is the place to be.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #49

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Lots of different schools of thought here.

To have or not to have a aft cabin, at least for us was for easy access to the boat for goods and taking the dog to and from her business, so not to have was our answer. Also, being lower makes it far easier for the wife to handle the lines in the stern for docking as we generally travel with just the two of us.

As for having a covered aft deck to lounge. Absolutely, especially if you are a live a board. You can always open the side curtains and let air or close it up and protect yourself from the winter elements. But you are out of the blazing sun during the summer and our of the rain during the winter. Canvas is fine but will eventually leak and has a limited life to it, especially with the sun beating on it. A fiberglass hardtop over the aft deck is, in my mind critical. Also, give you a covered entry for when the weather is bad so you track less in.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #50
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:

Yup there's a huge difference....to you.

As noted above, sun decks are generally less than 10 feet off the water, and are thought of as a huge benefit to those of us who have them. We have both (cockpit & sun deck above the aft cabin) and by far the sun deck the preferred entertainment space.

I guess we must not love being on the water- especially as we are liveaboards....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:

There is a huge difference in lounging in a cockpit that is on the water line
and being 20 ft up in an oxygen tent overlooking the water..
That's the best explanation as to why I like boating that I've ever heard!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #52
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post

Yup there's a huge difference....to you.

As noted above, sun decks are generally less than 10 feet off the water, and are thought of as a huge benefit to those of us who have them. We have both (cockpit & sun deck above the aft cabin) and by far the sun deck the preferred entertainment space.

I guess we must not love being on the water- especially as we are liveaboards....
We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #53
Guru

The location of the main stateroom whether in front or back pretty much dictates the design of the boat. So if you like an aft cabin with the greater sleeping room you will likely give up a cockpit that's so convenient when docking something that's real apparent when docking an aft cabin in windy conditions. You will also get lots of exercise climbing up and down the stairs getting to the saloon and galley. Most aft cabins have a fwd cabin that's great for storage.

The fwd cabin boat generally gets you a smaller saloon and the galley and saloon are sometimes together. You give up the sundeck for the cockpit so cocktail hour is right on the water. I prefer being slightly elevated on my sundeck with the choice of closing the windows (isinglass) if desired.

I think you'll pay more for a sundeck of the same size and use more fuel due to it's heaver weight.

So the location of the stateroom in many ways dictates the design of the boat and goes far beyond sleeping considerations.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?
If the aft cabin has a swim platform and stairs to the sundeck then boarding from a floating dock is easy. Otherwise on the side just forward of the sundeck.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

If the aft cabin has a swim platform and stairs to the sundeck then boarding from a floating dock is easy. Otherwise on the side just forward of the sundeck.
The ones that we've looked at has a ladder from the swim platform and the side entries are 4-5 steps up.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
The ones that we've looked at has a ladder from the swim platform and the side entries are 4-5 steps up.
The admiral would not even look at those boats.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

The admiral would not even look at those boats.
Smart. Looks like it's convertible shopping...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #58
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin

Tollycraft / Tollycraft / Tollycraft - What more can I say???!!!!

tollycraft (Power) Boats For Sale

34' to 40' Tolly for overall very low costs with great cruising/hooking comforts in a bullet proof vessel with a great Tollycraft Forum and parts links for back up! 44' to 48' Tolly are also quite affordable for even more room during great cruising or hooking pleasures.

Attached Thumbnails
TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg   Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin

Tollycraft / Tollycraft / Tollycraft - What more can I say???!!!!

tollycraft (Power) Boats For Sale

34' to 40' Tolly for overall very low costs with great cruising/hooking comforts in a bullet proof vessel with a great Tollycraft Forum and parts links for back up! 44' to 48' Tolly are also quite affordable for even more room during great cruising or hooking pleasures.

How is the boarding?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #60
Guru

If you like Tollly's you'll really like equivalent Ocean Alexanders. The 39-42-44-46 are all Monk hull designs as is the 44 Tolly. Very similar boats. the 42-46 are aft cockpit/sundeck boats, which is the best of all worlds. Thinking of putting our 44 up for sale this September...
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote