Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

City: uk
Grp paint

Hi I have a heritage east 40 and it has been painted but not by me and not very well. I want to tidy her up so I think I may need to totally reprint her. What is the best paint to use for the whole boat.
Is there a better option instead of paint and if so what and can I do it myself

I'm sure there is already a lot on this subject but I know systems and products change very quickly so any advice welcome.

I am in the uk and the boat is in sea water if that makes a difference
moonraker boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I don't know if it is the best paint, but it is very good paint and user friendly.....EASYPOXY by Petit. I have had very good results with the roll and tip method. Being inherently lazy, I don't want to fool with 2 pack paints. Being able to open the can and execute a quick touch up without mixing is priceless.
I have also used interlux, but I'm not as impressed with the long term wear. YMMV.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
If the paint job is already bad it will likely come through any paint you coat over it so it is important that you either remove the old paint or at least sand and prepare (prime) it properly before proceeding. I have only painted one boat and had it sprayed. That in my opinion is the best way to get a professional looking job but it may not be the cheapest. If cost is a factor then the roll tip method would be my next choice.
So far as paint goes I sprayed with Dupont Imron marine finish. It fills slight imperfections well and has some elasticity. Turned out very nice.

DuPont Marine Finishes | DuPont Performance Coatings
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

City: EC FL
Back in the day I earned my living prepping boats for paint, and I’d guess I’ve sprayed maybe 100 to 200 boats with Imron, or Awlgrip. (I always recommended Imron to my customers)

So now, many many years later when it came time to paint the hull and deck house and flybridge on the little DeFever what did we chose?

Interlux Brightside via roll and tip. 5 years later I’m still happy. I hate two part paints.

2 ICW trips and no mustache. Amazing. How do they do it?

Pettit Easypoxy is a fine paint as well. Pettit is owned by the same company that owns Rust-Oleum, and my local Lowes sells Rust-Oleum marine paint. I wonder if it’s the same?

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
A poor paint job will wipe off with a good solvent (Acetone) - just don't do this in the water! One part primer and one part paint works great. So does two part primer and two part paint - just don't mix the two.

Use plenty of thinner (don't paint it right out of the can), roll and tip (I like foam brushes) - this is a great DIY job that will give you much satisfaction.

I've used one part, and two part, I like two part paint, it dries harder (just my opinion).

YMMV
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
FF
Guru

The thing to research is the PRIMER , that will hold which ever paint you choose in place .

You will be going over bare glass , old gel coat , repaired spots and old paint.

The yards I an still in contact with are happy with Alexseal, tho I haven't tried it yet.

Tip and roll will do a fine job.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

City: uk
Thank you all. I will be spending many hours rubbing down runs and where paint has peeled off. I'm sure there will be a little filling in there somewhere to. I

I don't have the place to spray her so I thing I will be using a roller and brushing off.

I am moving her 600 miles at the end of may to her new birth and will take some pics for you all before and after
moonraker boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
FF
Guru

I will be using a roller and brushing off.

Use the correct roller , about $10. and a new high quality varnish brush .

The results as usual will be as good as the prep is.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
I used Easypoxy on every boat I've owned. Roll and tip method. The trick is to use plenty of paint and as Fred said a good roller. Then tip with large fine china brissel brush. Do a section at a time and do not go back and touch a spot you think you missed. I've done wood and steel and ended up with a shine as if it were polished FG. I've also used Rustolems white clean metal primer under it as a primer. Never had a problem and the cost is appealing.Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote