Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Aft Enclosure Cost Seattle vs BC

I'd like to have an aft enclosure made. Has anyone in the Seattle area ever gotten estimates from shops in BC? I'm curious about cost differences, if any.

I understand border issues, mooring fees, blah blah blah would also come into play. I'm just curious if anyone found it worthwhile to run north to have the job done.

Also looking for recommendations for canvas pros who work the Poulsbo area.

Thanks!
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Three years ago I got estimates in Seattle and BC. Chose BC, cheaper and a great job. No matter where, the good installers normally have a long backlog. PM me if you want any details.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We bought a commercial sewing machine and do our own. The cost savings are incredible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Three years ago I got estimates in Seattle and BC. Chose BC, cheaper and a great job. No matter where, the good installers normally have a long backlog. PM me if you want any details.
That's interesting. I would have guessed otherwise.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #5

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We just had ours redone in Bellingham. PM me if you want cost info. Can send pictures if you want.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Remember when you compare quotes to take into account the dollar exchange. I have been surprised at how many times I have looked at the price of things in the states (usually Washington) where the price difference, though appearing higher in Canada, was significantly cheaper once the American/Canadian exchange was taken into account.

And sometimes the further north you go here along coastal BC, the cheaper the repair/item. So Campbell River can be cheaper than Victoria or Nanaimo, not always but definitely sometimes.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
That's interesting. I would have guessed otherwise.
As RSN noted, the C $ plays a big role. Then tax advantages if you fill out the paper work and enter Canada correctly. In our case there are scanty few enclosure companies that can do a large Lexan, frame bending and Stamoid enclosure using current bonding methods. Most enclosure installers are OK with canvas and Eisinglass.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I have done four large canvas/upholstery projects via mail-order with JSI Sail/Cushions in St Pete FL (have changed hands a couple times - now www.islandnautical.com so my experience is not recent), one of the projects was an aft-deck enclosure for my Willard 36 which has an enormous aft deck. I don't know if they are still in business, but they are excellent and reasonably priced - they do OEM work for Catalina Yachts. I sent them patterns and they returned very high quality and accurate enclosure panels. A different project was cushions for the fantail of my aft deck with compound curves - how they got it so perfect is beyond me. Unfortunately, I do not recall the price, but it was reasonable compared to SF Bay canvas makers. My only point is that high volume and knowledgeable canvas makers can be very good and cost effective even via mail order.

Attached is best Pic I could find of aft enclosure. It's 10 years old at this point and in the yard so not exactly in her prime. But you can get an idea of the extent of the work that was completed via mail order. My avatar pic shows the side doors too.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9079.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	104448
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
An aft enclosure. Initially had bad thoughts. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Thank you everyone for your responses.

I've looked into purchasing a used Sailrite & making my own (I do have sewing skills) but I really don't want to take on the task, even though it could save me a bundle.
I'm contacting the recommended BC vendors & Island Nauticals as suggested by Peter & will report back my findings.
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Sunchaser & I became friends quite some time ago and I value his experience and council. About a year ago I was in need of purchasing a surround for my 42 OA sedan's bridge. I had received numerous advice from well intended skippers as to what material to make it out of.
Sun chaser recommended Lexan (which no one else did!) and I went with his advice. Several shops in San Diego nixed that material but the oldest shop (Murphy canvass) confirmed it. Conclusion: great job...looks like glass...am elated with the choice & once again I thank Tom for his council.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Sunchasers bridge enclosure is indeed top notch.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #13
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMary View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses.

I've looked into purchasing a used Sailrite & making my own (I do have sewing skills) but I really don't want to take on the task, even though it could save me a bundle.
I'm contacting the recommended BC vendors & Island Nauticals as suggested by Peter & will report back my findings.
Please do drop an update, especially if you get updated info on the mail-order/Island Nauticals route as it's been quite a few years since I worked with them and I will be needing some work myself.

BTW - I've owned a Sailrite walking-foot Thompson sewing machine for years and have done quite a few canvas/upholstery projects. They've turned out fine, and I enjoy it, but frankly, my abilities are adequate at best. Especially when doing Isenglass (sp?), the material gets really bulky and even a kitchen table is not ideal work space. Add-in it takes me at least twice as long as an experienced worker, and the cost/benefit analysis gets skewed. But I still enjoy sewing so do all sorts of smaller projects such as covers and repairs. I do have to say that having the way-cool snap-install tool (about $150!!!) is very handy as I replace a couple of snaps a year.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote