Advisory or Warning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took the survey. I agree with the change although I think it isn't a big deal.

I just wish the NWS (and others) would strive for more accurate warnings and forecasts. I realize they are issuing warnings to keep us out of danger but sometimes I see the forecast being so "over the top" in the fear or shock and awe aspect that I often pay little attention to them.

I have heard it said that so many people would ignore a forecast calling for "one and a half foot waves" that the forecast is changed to read "5+ foot waves" mostly just to get mariners attention. Trouble here is that many will adopt a feeling of: "They say five feet with 30 mph winds, it really means 1 foot waves with gusts to about 10 mph"

I have great respect for the weather but often make plans with the exaggeration factor in mind. (It is probably a poor idea, I know)

pete

Being Canadian I didn't take the quiz. In Canada we've done away with the phrase, "small craft warning" as to many it didn't make any sense. I've mentioned this before in these forums but I called the Coast Guard up twice with a rough 20 year separation and asked them what was a small craft, they couldn't tell me.

That phrase and the like has been replaced with "Strong wind warning" which makes more sense as it leaves it up to the boat operator to determine the safety of his/her vessel in higher wind conditions. And I quote:

Marine warnings
Strong Wind (Small Craft) Warning – Issued if winds of 20 to 33 kn (37 to 61 km/h) are forecast.
Gale Warning – Issued if winds of 34 to 47 kn (63 to 87 km/h) are forecast.
Storm Warning – Issued if winds of 48 to 63 kn (89 to 117 km/h) are forecast.
Hurricane Force Wind Warning – Issued for winds of 64 kn (119 km/h) or greater.
Squall Warning – Issued for forecast or observed wind gusts of 34 kn (63 km/h) or greater that are associated with a line, or an organized area, of thunderstorms.
Freezing Spray Warning – Freezing spray occurs when a combination of low temperatures and strong winds cause sea spray to freeze on a ship's superstructure or on other structures either in the sea or near the water's edge. A weather warning is issued whenever moderate or heavy ship icing is expected.
Waterspout Warning/Alert – Issued commonly for Atlantic provinces (usually M-IS). Issued when a waterspout is detected on radar or is observed by trained spotters. The warning is commonly issued to warn persons on water. A waterspout warning can be sometimes issued for an area on land, if it is anticipated that the waterspout or funnel cloud will travel inland.

Small craft advisory
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

Small craft advisory pennant
A small craft advisory is a type of wind warning issued by the National Weather Service in the United States. In Canada a similar warning is issued by Environment Canada. It is issued when winds have reached, or are expected to reach within 12 hours, a speed marginally less than gale force. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats.[1]

The insignia that denotes a small craft advisory is one red, triangular flag (two such flags, one placed above the other, signify a gale warning).

Inland, this advisory is known as a wind advisory. A lake wind advisory is issued for winds just below this range, because unobstructed winds across the open waters of a lake are normally faster than across land.

The wind speed that triggers the advisory has changed over time. Until the late 1960s, the threshold was 32 to 38 miles per hour (or 28 to 33 knots). At some point, the lower limit was reduced to 23 miles per hour (20 knots). Today, however, most places have standardized on 25 to 38 miles per hour (22 to 33 knots), encompassing the combined ranges of forces 6 and 7 on the Beaufort scale. Winds strong enough to trigger a small craft advisory may be referred to as being advisory-force. Conversely, winds just above this intensity (39–57 miles per hour) are called gale-force, and have a separate associated warning.

Occasionally an informal lesser advisory, known as "small craft exercise caution", is issued for wind speeds lighter than those that call for a small craft advisory. Criteria for this vary in different localities; sometimes a range of 19 to 24 miles per hour (17 to 21 knots) is observed, or in some places 17 to 23 miles per hour (15 to 19 knots) may be used.

The National Weather Service does not specifically identify what constitutes a "small craft". The size of the boat is only part of what a person should consider when venturing out under such a warning. Weight, displacement and hull design are also important factors and an even more important consideration is not only the craft, but the experience of the captain.

In Australia, we've dropped the "small craft advisory" and its just a Marine Wind Warning. Boaters tend to take it seriously.

Our warning are the same as the Canadian system, except the lowest Strong Wind Warning starts at 26 knots average wind speed. If it was set at 20 knots like the CDN system, we would get a warning several times a week which may encourage people to take it less seriously.

Small Craft Advisory is fine with me. Each captain needs to know what that means for their particular boat and their and their crew's ability to deal with it, all of which varies widely. Gale Warning is the next step up.

About 1975 I was told that a "Small Craft" for which the "Warning" would be applicable was a 14' open boat that, in such wind conditions would be unsafe. Since then I have never heard anything to contradict that analysis.

from Wikipedia...

"The National Weather Service does not specifically identify what constitutes a "small craft". The size of the boat is only part of what a person should consider when venturing out under such a warning. Weight, displacement and hull design are also important factors and an even more important consideration is not only the craft, but the experience of the captain"

From my experience...

Both the NWS and USCG have been sued because of "insufficient" weather warning through the years.

Marine weather I don't think takes into account local effects (usually) nor predict the largest waves one might encounter.

Done. I seem to remember it was called a small craft warning years ago then changed to advisory. Am I mistaken?

Rob

Canadian definition of small vessel: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2010-91/page-1.html#docCont

• 2 (1) These Regulations apply in respect of
    • (a) a pleasure craft;
    • (b) a passenger-carrying vessel of not more than 15 gross tonnage that carries not more than 12 passengers and is not a human-powered vessel;
    • (c) a workboat of not more than 15 gross tonnage; and
    • (d) a human-powered vessel other than a pleasure craft.
  • (2) These Regulations do not apply in respect of
    • (a) a fishing vessel;
    • (b) a rescue boat or lifeboat that is carried on board a vessel exclusively to meet a requirement for life-saving appliances set out in other regulations made under the Act;
    • (c) a vessel in respect of which the Special-purpose Vessels Regulations apply; or
    • (d) an air cushion vehicle of more than 4 500 kg all up weight.

So it seems around 15 tons is a significant point. I'd guess somewhere in the 28' to 38' range (WAG).

Last edited:
Makes no difference.

So it seems around 15 tons is a significant point. I'd guess somewhere in the 28' to 38' range (WAG).

30,000 pounds for a 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33,34 would be very heavy displacement boats indeed.

The classic heavy displacement CT 37 sailboat weighs in at 24,000 pounds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom