Advice needed “Thanks”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyV

Vessel Name
Paulie Sue & Jimmy II
Vessel Make
Wellcraft 3200 Martinique
1987 Chung Hwa Europa 34

Looking to purchase my first Trawler. This is a single engine and would like to know your opinion about a single vs a twin. I have twins now in my 1995 Wellcraft but they are gassers. Are you comfortable with having only one engine. The boat has bow and stern thrusters.

I would appreciate any advice on the single TAMD 31a Volvo 130 hp turbo engine. The current owner just completed the Great Loop last fall and now has 3959 hours on the engine. I also have engine oil samples that were taken at the oil change before the boat was rapped for the past winter.

Any other advice from the items listed below that have been addressed would also be appreciated.

The current owner also sent me the survey he did when he purchased the boat in 2018. They recently purchased a trailerable Ranger tug and that is why they are selling the Trawler.

Here is the list of noted items from the current owners log book during the loop.

Here's the service records I found in my logbooks:

Started out from Detroit Michigan with fresh Engine oil change June 22 2018 at 2888.7 hours

July 15 2018 Had Hi Seaseas Marina top off fuel tanks winterize the boat and put Sea Lord in indoor storage. Hi Seas replaced the cutlass bearing and did a motor alignment. I changed the motor oil, generator oil (96hrs) and transmission oil at 2956 hrs

June 1-July 3 2019 replaced all fuel lines, fuel filters, impellers on both motor and generator, fresh water pump and all fresh water lines. Left on the loop July 4th.

August 4th 2019 in Grand Haven Michigan we replaced 2 house batteries and 1 starting battery. Added new washdown pump.

September 3rd 2019 at Hammond Indiana we added AIS radio and antenna.

September 7th added aft freezer at Illinois valley yacht club in Pioria

September 17th 2019 replaced stern thruster fluid and filter in Grafton Illinois

October 1st 2019 replaced engine oil 3182 hours at Green Turtle Marina also changed both engine impeller and generator impeller.

October 19th 2019 replaced all the belts in Florence Alabama

October 29th change transmission fluid at 3273 hours also added diesel heater in Corinth Mississippi

November 3rd replaced alternator with upgraded 80 amp Columbus Mississippi

November 13th replaced mechanical fuel pump with electric in Demopolis

November 19th through December 19th pulled Sea Lord out of the water in Mobile Alabama to install new cutlass bearings and make new drive shaft fitted with new coupler and flex coupler. Inspected prop balanced good. Order new motor mounts and shipped to carrabelle Florida. Added 360 watts solar panels, controller and forth battery. Changed engine zinc's and added prop Zinc and rudder zinc.

December 21st 2019 changed engine oil at 3377 hours and change generator oil at 122 hours. Replace motor mounts and added macerator in carrabelle Florida.

January 14th 2020 added 150 feet of anchor chain in Naples Florida

January 24th added 200 Watts solar flex panels in Marathon Florida

April 2nd 2020 changed engine oil at 3523 hours. Changed engine zinc's Brunswick Georgia

June 26th 2020 warranty exchanged one of the house batteries in Silverton New Jersey

July 28th changed engine oil at 3777 hours and changed Volvo water pump impeller New Baltimore New York

August 17th 2020 changed genset oil 187 hours

September 5th 2020 changed engine oil at 3959 hours and winterized in Oconto Wisconsin.

The current owner has also sent me proof if items fixed also noting that they media blasted the boat and gave it 4 barrier coats and 4 coats of ablative anti foul.

Thanks for your help. I have been reading and learning.

Attachments

• 16357M07949-E-I-518939-Sev1.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 6
Our previous boat was a 28 ft twin Carver and lived the handling. I had some reservations moving to a trawler style w a single but felt I could learn and many I considered had a bow thruster.
We ended up with a 34 Mainship HT with both B & S thrusters and have absolutely no regrets.
MANY will say thruster not necessary, a crutch, extra maintenance etc... but would NEVER say the same re twins... ironic as the initial cost of twins and annual maintenance is a LOT more than thruster(s).
My single is in a tunnel do little no prop walk to assist and MS rudders are tiny which makes handling g a challenge at times in close quarters & slow speed.
When I cruise great lakes or far from home & add unlimited towing as insurance.
Unless you do a lot of off shore and/ or remote area cruising where no tows are available I dont see twins as essential. Oh did I mention maint is not only more $ but maybe more important a LOT more difficult... at least for these "old bones"

I'll withhold comments re Volvos as I have no first hand experience and sure others will chime in.

You really don't want to open the single vs double engine discussion. Do some research in this forum. You will get all the info you need. But.. with two thrusters, you certainly won't miss the twins.

While your list of recent changes and repairs is fairly long, those are all normal items and many are elective.

In general it sounds like the boat was well loved. I winter, and summer at HiSeas marina but don't remember the boat. I think I was inside that winter also but that doesn't mean anything. The inside storage is packed so tightly it is hard to notice other boats.

Give us a little more information on the boat.

pete

I’ve only had single engine boats. A diesel is inherently reliable as long as it stays cool and has clean fuel.
Learn how to change fuel filters and prime the engine (if required on your engine model) and practice doing it in case of a problem. I always kept the specific tools for those tasks in a handy location where needed
Of course use the thrusters BUT do some practicing without them for the time they don’t work. (It will happen).
Best of luck!!

I too have a single engine 32'er and have had for 35 yrs. Only once did it goof up and that was my fault. It has been dead reliable for those 35 yr and 7,000hr approx.

The thrusters will be of use to you but I still suggest learn how to handle the boat without depending upon them totally. When you get into a tight spot use them. I have also seen them fail to work and then the operators who didn't learn how to handle their boat at least reasonably well are up the creek.

Back
Top Bottom